Anyone out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Pablo - that looks like otter to me - though it is hard to tell without some idea of scale - the scraped up pile of mud - did it have spraint or oily goo on it?

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
He is only 3 but so keen to learn - start em young I say!!!:cool:

My boy is 8, and is very keen to learn stuff (also keen to get his own blade but Mrs N says NOOOO...)

Younger eyes can often see smaller sign in the tracks (secondary and tertiary ressure releases) that I miss... We're off to Bala in a coule of weeks time, and we'll have a go trailing each other, and also doing the 'natural camoflague' stuff in Brown's other books.

Both looking forward to Bushmoot this year as well!!

N

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Pablo - that looks like otter to me - though it is hard to tell without some idea of scale - the scraped up pile of mud - did it have spraint or oily goo on it?

I thought the same but hard to tell without something to give an idea of size - not knowing how big the crab was!!

Nyayo how great to get the next generation of trackers started, I'm looking forward to meeting your boy at the moot, sounds like he is really enjoying learning :You_Rock_

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Well I have just ordered the Tom Brown book, and have two others on the way via the library service, but that it the total extent of my tracking so far.:rolleyes:

I'll see if I can get out and about a bit once I have had a good read through them all.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Just come back from walking aforementioned canine companion, practicing looking for those complicated disc-fissures, and ridege-crumbles (etc), and I sied (on the way out) a mummy fox and three cubs bundling each other, then (on the way back) a rtly badger chasing a daddy fox - not bad for an evening's entertainment!

N

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
Ooo you lucky (insert word that sounds like rugger) Nyayo and Pablo. Went out with nightwalker and rhoda the other night to look for fox cubs that nightwalker had spotted earlier this month. no joy but found rabbit carcass and scat.
Last time I saw anything was on a river walk where I took some students. great woods and river to go to as now know where a big dog fox always likes to take his toilet break, where to find the badger latrines, the otter spraint, the feeding remains of mice and voles and on the last trip found some stoat tracks down by the waters edge too. My favourite though has to be the deer tracks. can see where they lead down to the water, and then come out on the other bank and you get a real sense of the animal wondering through the woods.
students loved it too.
not had much luck in spotting anything living though lately but that might be more to do with not being at home...swanning around the scillies and the arctic!!:D

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I've just finished reading through Tom Brown's book for the first time and it really is as superbly written as I was led to believe.

Next step is building the backyard sandbox, apparently the best way to start according to Mr. Brown and going through the book chapter by chapter. I'm interested to know how Nyayo got on with his?

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I just begun with tracking. Got a book from the library with not only footprints, but also other signs like eating.
So last week I saw some prints from a deer, so I was following the tracks, walking half bent, and suddenly they were gone. Still standing half bent I was imagining that I was that deer and thought "were should I go to?". Than I saw some bushes, and indeed, some young leaves were missing :p
Yesterday I was also in the woods and saw some acorns lying on the ground. One minute later, I found myself sitting on the path with that book on me lap and trying to figure out what kind of animal did eat it. :D

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
It's a little addictive, I've spent most of this evening making the cat walk across the wood floor to see if I can see the 'flaring' footprints as described in the book and guess what? It works!

I'm a long way from that level of tracking but its quite amazing how much is visible on even hard surfaces. A recommended read if ever there was one!

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Since the moot, I've been using the sandbox ( the boy often leaves a track for me in the morning and I have to provide an explanation later in the day) most days, although we have been tracking in the Goyt valley - lots of Red Deer. We recently got hold of Mr. Brown's 'Nature awraeness and observation', and are trying to apply aging techniques as well as pressure releases. I'm quite happy about speed, direction and the direction of attention - I recently had a 'Eureka' moment - tracked a dog, saw where it had stopped and looked down a badger run, then moved on and looked up at a tree - found scratches on the tree branch and a single muddy squirrel print, then found where a man in walking boots had walked past the dog, and the dog had followed - had to go back to the sandpit to try to re-create the turning prints to better understand the prints. I now find it extremely useful to feel the prints (my fingers are much more perceptive than my eyes) while trying to read the landscape with my eyes and ears. I'm currently holidaying in Norfolk with my in-laws and tracking relaxed Muntjac and nervous bunnies in Thetford Forest. I'm looking forward to going after Arctic Hare on Kinder this winter...

N

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Sounds fantastic Nyayo, it really is addictive isn't it! I can't walk through town without tracking the person ahead of me (quite easy round here as we have lots of surfers with wet bare feet!!)
Hoping to spend some more time in the woods after this weekend, things have been a bit hectic of late so can't wait to get back to nature.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
I have some great piccies of Red Deer trails in the woods that I'll put on when we get home. I now find I'm starting to get funny looks (like from lying on my tummy looking at dog prints after I've just watched him have a drink...) and yes, I do end up tracking me quite a lot...

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Hi Nyayo, did it take you long to work out the pressure release basics in the sandbox? I know TB mentions around 4-10 hours should allow you to see the primary releases, I'm just curious as to how long it took you to gain a good foothold (pardon the pun).

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
It din't seem to take too long at all! I played in the sandbox every day (say 15mins twice a day) then tried to apply what I'd learned when I took the dog out in the evening (about 1 hour). Even if I was just tracking the dog, or back-tracking me, I could always focus on one new pressure release and keep working on the ones I'd already covered. My boy is already quite good at spotting the various turning, speed and acceleration/decceleration signs and he's only 8. We were tracking squirrels yesterday and he's spotting turns, stops, hesitations etc.
N

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Excellent, I'm very much looking forward to getting mine built and getting some practice in. I'm thinking an outdoor box and cover it over when not in use so it doesn't turn into the local cat toilet! It'll also be a lot quieter on the ears. Sounds like your lad's getting quite good at it already if he's spotting that level of detail in a squirrel print, very nice.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
with deer tracks try useing your finger as a guide the little one first joint is as big as a muntjac secound is a roe as big as your little finger is fallow and bigger than your middle finger is red sika comes between fallow and red although if its a young deer its feet will be smaller about the size of a roe but you can tell a roe as the cleaves are thinner

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
with deer tracks try useing your finger as a guide the little one first joint is as big as a muntjac secound is a roe as big as your little finger is fallow and bigger than your middle finger is red sika comes between fallow and red although if its a young deer its feet will be smaller about the size of a roe but you can tell a roe as the cleaves are thinner

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Don't come on the forum as much as I used to, but I tracked every day during the summer - part of my job. Weasles, foxes, rabbits, bagders, muntjacs, dogs and small children!

Hope this is of interest

Of course it is of interest! Sounds like you have a great variety of wildlife to track where you work.:)

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
OK - are there any Tracking associations/clubs in the UK? If not, would anybody be up for organising one? Regular meets, skills sesions etc etc

Ede
*It's late and I'm bored of marking...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE