Anyone else as stupid as me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
As long as I can get set up well enough to get a sleep and maybe a wee fire going I'm a happy bunny. Wrapped up in my swannie next to a warm fire, with a crusader mug full of hot chocolate - fan-bl**dy-tastic :D

Like SimonM says, there's nothing quite like the sound of rain on a tarp. :D

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yup, agree with all the above. It never ceases to amaze me that some spend load's of money on thermal this and Goretex that, waterproof and warm, then don't entertain the thought of a trip if it's threatening to spit or it's outside of the 'May to September' window. You got the gear for a reason, use it!:D

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'.

I've stopped looking at forecasts before Ten Tors training weekends. If it's going to be dangerous bad then I'll hear something, if not I don't care.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
No rain but it's cold tonight and the kids are begging me to let them camp out tonight in the garden with their mates as they're off school this week. I've allowed myself to be blagged into allowing them to do it being the soft @rse I am :rolleyes: but I've said it hinges on what Mum says when she gets in from work any minute now :D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
This coming weekend, some "hard core" 18th century re-enactor friends of mine are doing a show-n-tell demo for the public up at Eagle River Wisconsin. They will be demonstrating the late 1700's fur trade in that area - with a trading post, voyageurs, Indians, and even a contingent of French Marines from the time period. And most of them stay/camp on site in their typical camp gear. Temps are usually minus 10 to 20 below zero Ferenhiet, and windy. Here's a link to another Living History message board thread with some discussion and some pictures from last year's event.

Klondike Days - Eagle River

Last year they collected lots of old christmas trees to place around to help create something of a windbreak for the camps. And no matter what the weather, the tourists and school kids show up in droves!

I shant be with them this year, but check out the pics and see some of the "hard core" people I often camp with.

Now to get back to planning an Ice Cutting gathering - with just hand tools - 1880's time frame. And we've been discussing a spring Maple Sugar camp - a week/weekend spent gathering sap from Maple trees and boiling it down into syrup or sugar - with all clothing/gear based on the early 1800's. But these are just for us participants, not as a demo for the public. Full Immersion living history - just for the experience of it!

And we will deal with whatever the weather is at the time. Yeah, kind of hard-core.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
No rain but it's cold tonight and the kids are begging me to let them camp out tonight in the garden with their mates as they're off school this week. I've allowed myself to be blagged into allowing them to do it being the soft @rse I am :rolleyes: but I've said it hinges on what Mum says when she gets in from work any minute now :D

That was some good escape clause there:D Like that they can't blame you, well done!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE