Anybody Else Old Enough To Know What This Is?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I tell you what I remember that was similar looking to that - the foot pump that pushed water through the one tap in the old caravan my parents had fifty years or more back :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Yes, I remember Alfsuds were renowned for that, and I still double declutch, especially when the caravan is attached. And chokes! Stop it guys, you're killing me! There was an art to driving (and starting) cars back then.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I tell you what I remember that was similar looking to that - the foot pump that pushed water through the one tap in the old caravan my parents had fifty years or more back :)

yes in the early 1970s we had an old 10' eccles caravan that had exactly that.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Headsup . For the love of cars 8pm ch4 tonight

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Haven't seen it yet but I made the suspension for the Mexico. Not that they'll show such things, its all about paint, engines and rims on these shows.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haven't seen it yet but I made the suspension for the Mexico. Not that they'll show such things, its all about paint, engines and rims on these shows.

One of my mates had a Mexico, what a car that was, have sat straining against the G's on many a forest track in that thing. Can smell the hot plastic and rich fuel mix from a hot forest blast as I type.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
One of my mates had a Mexico, what a car that was, have sat straining against the G's on many a forest track in that thing. Can smell the hot plastic and rich fuel mix from a hot forest blast as I type.

They're certainly a bit special. Olfactory senses are amazing in old cars, memories come flooding back every time I catch a whiff of petrol and oil in a carbureted classic, fortunately thats most days for me. Must have been a real blast razzing one of those down a dirt path at top speed with your mate! I watched it tonight and it was just as I expected, two seconds of the disc brake as they put the tyre and rim on. You could see the Willwood brake calliper I fitted to the monotube suspension I made and just about make out the Avo sticker but it was more a look back at the feeling generated by a classic car than the restoration itself. Very little wrenching going on in the program but still enjoyable. I'll be watching the others regardless but personally I'd find it far more interesting if they went in depth with all the pitfalls and hurdles overcome of a bolt by bolt restoration. They must have spent an absolute fortune on that Mexico but it looks like it was worth every penny!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE