Any wilderness left in Europe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
Hello!

I wonder if anyone knows of any place in Europe where it's legal to walk into the forest, build a camp, make a fire, maybe fish and trap, stay there a few days, without breaking any laws?

I've learned so much stuff recently, especially from these boards, (creep creep!), but the thing that's missing is somewhere to put it all together and see how it really works.

Any ideas, bushcrafters?

PS Of course this may be somewhat self-defeating - if such a dream location exists and is pointed out on these boards we'll probably all end up tripping over each other there!! Oh what the hell, we can always form into tribes and steal each other's womenfolk... ;-)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I wonder if anyone knows of any place in Europe where it's legal to walk into the forest, build a camp, make a fire, maybe fish and trap, stay there a few days, without breaking any laws?)

Parts of Transylvania may fit your description, especially around the Fagaras mountains. However the dry summers of late would preclude fire making. A license is required for fishing and as far as I can tell trapping isn't allowed.

Some travel details can be found on these links...

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/destinations/europe/article3945016.ece

http://www.transylvaniancastle.com/intro_en.html

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
You can do most things if you can find land where you have permission. That's the difficult part but I think most people can get there with patience. There are, sadly, very few places on the planet that are truly wild.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Maybe Belarus? Not the safest country by a long way but it has a reputation for being pretty lawless.
There are areas of true wilderness left in Eastern Poland but they're heavily protected.

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
sorry, seems I've more or less duplicated a thread, just down the page,

"The best place to do bushcraft in Europe."

The swedish public access link posted there seems just the ticket! Sounds good enough to me.

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Ukraine is 3 hours' flight away from London, visa-free, and very wild. Better still, bushcraft and camping are part of the Slavic soul (or so they think), so it's easy to get into the woods and stay there. You're unlikely to get into trouble unless you're hanging around military installations.

It's a beautiful country, and well worth a visit.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
If you don't like mosquitos, you just shouln't go places with many water, or not in the summer. Water and warmth is a perfect combination to get irritating buzzing.
Don't matter where you go I think.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Kola peninsula

(its also the most polluted place in europe, so say, but that doesnt stop it being a top wilderness area)

Dont know if its up to your spec, though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE