Any Westcountry bushcrafters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Home is Exmouth, South Devon; but I'm up in Bracknell two nights a week for work. I'd be interested in any meetings, even if not in woodlands - I mean if we were meeting to learn a new craft like weaving or even knife/axe sharpening. There's no NEED to be outdoors for that.

If I pull the trailer out, there'd be room for a few people to carve in my garage (wood chips, shavings, and general mess is welcome), and I have a lathe we could use to turn handles on. Any takers?

Last edited:

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Home is Exmouth, South Devon; but I'm up in Bracknell two nights a week for work. I'd be interested in any meetings, even if not in woodlands - I mean if we were meeting to learn a new craft like weaving or even knife/axe sharpening. There's no NEED to be outdoors for that.

If I pull the trailer out, there'd be room for a few people to carve in my garage (wood chips, shavings, and general mess is welcome), and I have a lathe we could use to turn handles on. Any takers?

Hi Bhofmann, I'm only along the coast from you (the right side of the Exe):rolleyes:
More of a Countryman than a bushcrafter. Be good to meet for a pint and a chat. Cheers Harry.

Emma87

Jun 21, 2009
Exeter
I'm in Branscombe/exeter, depending on work etc, Im really interested in trying some carving, waiting for the next pay check then going to get some tool to make a start with so if you would be willing to have a novice along id love to join. think there are a few others in exmouth that a met a few weeks ago, dont know if you know who they are.

C

craigsalter

Hi I am from zummerzet! Taunton to be precise, I am able to get out and about only every other weekend due to family/work commitments. I am always looking for people to share the great outdoors with and hopefully learn some new tricks from :)

And bhofmann I am always keen to practce and learn new tricks. I am certainly up for making a mess in your garage instead of mine lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I'm in North East Somerset (was Avon) on the edge of Radstock. Great walks through the Wellow and Cam valleys. There are some interesting batches (slag heaps) which have been planted up with trees (some quite established now) so it's a great place for bimbles and dog walks through the woods, farmland and rough fields. The wildlife is fantastic too. I'm part of the "Owl & Raptor" sub-group of the local wildlife group.

The canoeing round here is good too: The Frome, Avon and Kennet & Avon Canal are near by. I am also a 20 minute drive from the Mendips where I do quite a bit of walking.

I'll be up for any meets, canoeing or workshops in the South West. If thers is anything interesting happening, I'm happy to help with lift sharing with my pickup truck. AKA "The Green Goddess".

Look forward to it..............hc

C

craigsalter

lol, I presume your talking about some of the great wood turning he does in his garage!

Your not too far from Dartmoor then and maybe within reach of Cornwall for one of our Meets? Hope to meet you in the future. :)

Hi I am often in Cornwall as thats where the other half comes from, Camborne! She is often dragging me off down there with the kids and I just sit about bored. Looks like I could now have an avenue of escape, its only taken 9yrs to find one lol

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
lol, I presume your talking about some of the great wood turning he does in his garage!
:)

Bernie's certainly a wizard with the woodturning. goodjob
I popped to see him last week and the quality of his craftmanship is amazing!
From a rough, square piece of Yew he turned a lovely little bowl in no time. The man's a master.
And he took me along to his local woodturning club to see lots of other nice woody wonders:D

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
It's always a pleasure to teach and learn from like minded people. Ashley's Christmas meeting was a wonderful first-time experience for me. Nobody even mocked or teased me for only having a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) with me. Since finding his NaturalBushcraft website and this forum through that site, I have found nothing but friendly people with respect for nature and each other. I am humbled to be part of this.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Glad to hear you found BCUK through NaturalBushcraft Bernie :)

I can only see it getting better as well... I love expanding the community & NaturalBushcraft has changed my life-path, I've met some wonderful people and thanks to that we've got lots more Meets planned, so we should all be seeing more of each other down south this year.
:welcome1:

Hi everyone. I'm in North East Somerset (was Avon) on the edge of Radstock. Great walks through the Wellow and Cam valleys. There are some interesting batches (slag heaps) which have been planted up with trees (some quite established now) so it's a great place for bimbles and dog walks through the woods, farmland and rough fields. The wildlife is fantastic too. I'm part of the "Owl & Raptor" sub-group of the local wildlife group.

The canoeing round here is good too: The Frome, Avon and Kennet & Avon Canal are near by. I am also a 20 minute drive from the Mendips where I do quite a bit of walking.

I'll be up for any meets, canoeing or workshops in the South West. If thers is anything interesting happening, I'm happy to help with lift sharing with my pickup truck. AKA "The Green Goddess".

Look forward to it..............hc

I think we live in the same village.
:)

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
fresh blood here, am in Eastville Bristol, complete and I mean complete novice.

Haven't even been camping since 03. Not desperate for huge adventure or risk taking - just want to find some peace and quiet around a fire in the woods and learn about how to work with and live in those surroundings...

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
fresh blood here, am in Eastville Bristol, complete and I mean complete novice.

Haven't even been camping since 03. Not desperate for huge adventure or risk taking - just want to find some peace and quiet around a fire in the woods and learn about how to work with and live in those surroundings...

Hi Hermitical

Welcome to the BCUK mate.

Why not pop down and see us in Cornwall next weekend, you'd be more than welcome, and we'd break you in gently, I promise ;)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53738

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
cheers fella, if I had a car I might well've popped down - should have a car soon, but not that soon!

Sounds lovely, very welcoming from the website - hope all goes well

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
I'm driving down from Exmouth on Saturday morning. I could pick people up in Exeter or somewhere along the way. Bristol is a too far out of the way, but if you could stay with a friend or family we could get you to the meeting.

FWIW, I'll be heading back early on the Sunday morning. Maybe have time for a quick brew or breakfast but will be heading back into the rising sun if I can. (I'm on borrowed time on Sunday being Mother's day and all that.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE