Any UK landlords here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just as a little heads up here. Getting a locksmith to do the lock change is all fine and dandy, but any carpenter could and should be up to handling that sort of job easily. Trust me on this, changing a lock is not rocket science and a simple night latch can be changed in 15 minutes tops.

In my own personal experience, reputable locksmiths tend to have a very inflated price tag for their services.... this also extends to their opinion of themselves as well.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just as a little heads up here. Getting a locksmith to do the lock change is all fine and dandy, but any carpenter could and should be up to handling that sort of job easily. Trust me on this, changing a lock is not rocket science and a simple night latch can be changed in 15 minutes tops.

In my own personal experience, reputable locksmiths tend to have a very inflated price tag for their services.... this also extends to their opinion of themselves as well.

Pretty much anybody with a even a modicum of mechanical ability should be able to do it. A basic drivers' license should indicate enough understanding.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
But not all tenants have the ability to do diy, despite the fact that they tell you they do, so its my property, my rules, a locksmith that's it. I'm a good landlord, so tennants tell me, I respond to all problems, change carpets on a regular basis & decorate before each new tenant takes over.
I also contract as a gardener for a big letting agent & have seen what some other landlords do & how they treat there tenants(their lively hood !)but have seen first hand how some tenants treat the properties they rent, nuff said.

Rob

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But not all tenants have the ability to do diy, despite the fact that they tell you they do, so its my property, my rules, a locksmith that's it. I'm a good landlord, so tennants tell me, I respond to all problems, change carpets on a regular basis & decorate before each new tenant takes over.
I also contract as a gardener for a big letting agent & have seen what some other landlords do & how they treat there tenants(their lively hood !)but have seen first hand how some tenants treat the properties they rent, nuff said.

Rob

All fair points. If you say a locksmith, then it'll have to be a locksmith. Do you also require an electrician to change a burned out fuse? Or light bulb? They're all about the same skill level.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have always rented on the bottom end of market. Some landlords and letting agents conduct themselves in a barely legal fashion others are on the ball with repairs and problems. Everyone has the right to quiet enjoyment whether it is nieghbours or tenants. That right is a legal one. A landlord has a legal right to enter a property for reasons of safety. I am sure everyone here are good landlords. When locks have been changed in the first week the landlord has done so without charging me. It is not an expensive or difficult job for a joiner which good landlords have on their books.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Most modern homes come with barrel locks. It's not that difficult (takes minutes) to change the barrel on a door lock.
Replacement barrels with three or four keys cost a tenner.

We have elderly relations; one of whom is going senile and is convinced that strangers are coming in and stealing from her. Changing the locks keeps the peace and reassures her. They've been changed four times in the past eighteen months.

That kind I think the landlord could easily do himself. If it's a mortice lock or a yale lock though :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That kind I think the landlord could easily do himself. If it's a mortice lock or a yale lock though :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Letting a mortice lock in to a new door requires a modicum of skill. Changing one does not. Fitting a Yale lock is easy. Changing the barrel of one to take a new key can be done in the time it takes to make a cuppa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE