Any Tabasco lovers on here ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I used to love the stuff, but since I started trying other chilli sauces (Dave's Inanity or Naga Napalm for example) I find tobasco lacks depth of flavour.

Dave

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
HHHHhhmmmmmmm Daves insanity sauce, we had some brilliant man test involving DIS, mostly requiring the its application to various body parts! things you do to liven up a boring stag:D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tobasco! Natures most nearly perfect food.

Best drink for a boring night: A Flaming A$$hole = a shot of pepermint schnaps and a heavy dash of Tobasco.

A couple of years ago I went to France to do some shopping. In the fruit isle of the supermarket, I spied a lovely looking fruit, which was about the size of a small egg, being a curious man and always in the market to try out new tastes, I thought that I would give it go and take a bite … if it was good I would buy some to munch on the ferry home. I don’t read or speak French so the name of the fruit was something I just ignored – a “piments”, I think it was called, just didn’t mean anything to me.

How the security men, watching on the remote camera, must have laughed, my wife certainly did! It was a Habanero chili with a Scoville rating of 100,000 – 350,000, which I know is not the hottest chilly, but it certainly burned for well over half an hour and as for my delicate parts the next day … I’ll say no more, but being kicked in the privates is a pain that is more comfortable than this, and I like chillies.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A couple of years ago I went to France to do some shopping. In the fruit isle of the supermarket, I spied a lovely looking fruit, which was about the size of a small egg, being a curious man and always in the market to try out new tastes, I thought that I would give it go and take a bite … if it was good I would buy some to munch on the ferry home. I don’t read or speak French so the name of the fruit was something I just ignored – a “piments”, I think it was called, just didn’t mean anything to me.

How the security men, watching on the remote camera, must have laughed, my wife certainly did! It was a Habanero chili with a Scoville rating of 100,000 – 350,000, which I know is not the hottest chilly...

Actually the Habanero (also known as 1. Scotch Bonnet and 2. Thai Pepper) IS considered the hottest "edible" chili.

Last edited:
Actually the Habanero (also known as 1. Scotch Bonnet and 2. Thai Pepper) IS considered the hottest "edible" chili.

Just Wikipedia’d this one and they say that the Red Savina pepper is the hottest Stable (Cultivar) pepper, but …
“The chilis with the highest rating on the Scoville scale exceed one million Scoville units, and include specimens of naga jolokia or bhut jolokia and its cultivars, the "Dorset naga" and the "Ghost chili," neither of which has official cultivar status” (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Also been watching the program ‘Man Vs Food’ and this chap eats a burger with the four hottest chillies around, the Scotch Bonnet is the coolest, the hottest was a chilli that was around 1,000,000 SHUs.:campfire:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Don't believe what you see on Man Vs Food; wiki either for that matter. You might be right about the Scotch Bonnet though; never tried one but Food network listed it as the same pepper as Habaero and Thai Peppers. All that said, I suspect even the same species of chili might be hotter when grown in one plac over another.

As for there being hotter peppers that AREN"T considered edible, IIRC the ones that are considered edible are the coolest 8%-10%

The original Tabasco was/is made from Jalepenos (considered around the middle of the scale of edible although I've found wide variation from 1 Jalepeno to another) There is a Habanero Tabasco out now also.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE