Any Snorers in the House?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Any serious professional Snorers here ?
And have you found anything that helped? Techniques or gadgets.

Cheers.

< Some snorers may believe that they are a Tractor in the snoring dreams , I am apparently a Boeing 737 >

Reactions: zornt

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I snore some but it doesn't the little wife that much as once she gets off nothing wakes her.

On the other hand she is most definitely a snorer and not much makes a difference unless I can get her to turn over and even that doesn't always stop her :/

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have you met my wife.?

Mating call of a bull elephant
Mine too. She’s tiny, but a few glasses of red and sleeping flat on her back, it’s scary the noise she makes.

Tried a few things years ago and found not much made a difference and increased the stigma for her. 3M earplugs or a different room with no hard feelings or arguing seems to be the best option for me. It’s a difficult problem because both of you are tired and need to sleep, it’s very easy to get a bit of a cob on in the middle of the night if you consider yourself to be the non-snorer and have to shift rooms or lie there and put up with it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , currently mine is getting a bit severe - so much so I think it maybe causing issues. Ever caught yourself listening to and waking up to your own snoring?? Yep - that.

Its also possible its borderline sleep Apnea so currently looking for any possible solutions.

Reactions: zornt and Stood

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
GP visit. I’m pretty sure my wife has sleep apnoea. She sometimes completely stops breathing and then wakes with a start and the bull elephant noise, gasping for breath. She won’t seek medical help, but I think she should. As she doesn’t hear it, it’s my problem, so I appreciate you recognising it and wanting to do something.

Side sleeping makes a big difference, some snorers tape a tennis ball on their back (or summat, no idea how it’s attached) so when they roll on their back they get a reminder to side sleep.

For genuine and possibly dangerous sleep apnoea there are ventilators that blow air very gently into your face via a mask to keep the airways open. They don’t look comfortable, but for me, nor is trying to sleep with noise cancelling headphones on or earplugs in.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
GP visit. I’m pretty sure my wife has sleep apnoea. She sometimes completely stops breathing and then wakes with a start and the bull elephant noise, gasping for breath. She won’t seek medical help, but I think she should.

Side sleeping makes a big difference, some snorers tape a tennis ball on their back (or summat, no idea how it’s attached) so when they roll on their back they get a reminder to side sleep.

For genuine and possibly dangerous sleep apnoea there are ventilators that blow air very gently into your face via a mask to keep the airways open. They don’t look comfortable, but for me, nor is trying to sleep with noise cancelling headphones on or earplugs in.

Yes, it can be a real issue as Oxygen can be removed from the brain whilst one resets the breathing pattern.

CPAP machines are somewhat pricey so I'm looking at weird mouth guard things that realign the lower jaw to the front - supposedly works but drool is an issue.

Or there is some super weird thing that suctions onto the tongue and pulls to the fore - stopping it from returning to the back.

Agree on the Side sleeping.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My wife tried the jaw alignment mouth guards many years ago. They worked, but obviously it wasn’t comfortable for her to sleep with. Might be worth you looking at that as an option as it’s you wanting to stop yourself snoring and not a relationship issue.

Also, there are sound activated apps that are noise triggered and record your snoring in the night. You’ll get a good idea of just how much of a problem there is, but make sure the phone is on charge as they eat battery.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I don't particularly snore, neither does my wife, but side sleeping certainly prevents noises... I sometimes prop myself on my side using a pillow .. spooning the wife or a pillow also helps keep me on my side.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Definitely a snorer. Used to wake myself up.
Found that I have sleep apnea.
I use a BiPAP now.
Two pressures higher going and lower going out.
Fortunately this side of the pond has insurance to test and supply the machines.
The test is real fun too.
They glue 40 wired to your body put a camera on you turn the lights out and say go to sleep.
Try that with she afor mentioned 40 wired glued to you and someone watching you sleep.
Also pray you don't have to answer the call of nature doing the test. Lol.
Jon

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea a few years back. Prior to that I snored so loud my wife slept downstairs for 9 months. It caused many problems.
My health was also badly effected as I never got a good nights sleep.
After being diagnosed I was set up with a CPAP mask and ventilator. Really no fun to get used to, took months. But once you start to get a regular good nights sleep you feel the difference.
I came to realise I was carrying some extra weight. Through changing my eating habits a bit and some exercise I slowly reduced my weight from 90kg to 72kg.
Long story, but I have now been tested and told I no longer suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. The irony now is I struggle to sleep without the CPAP as my body has got used to it. When I asked the NHS consultant what the procedure was to come off the CPAP he said “no idea, we’ve not had anyone do it before!”.
Currently working on reducing the CPAP pressure and weaning me off it.
I can’t stress how important it is to get tested if you think you have obstructive sleep apnea.
Link to NHS site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
what helped my ex was changing her lifestyle habbits

i do not know if any of these apply to anyone who snore yet some may be similar, as this was her lifestyle change over a fair bit of time

do not expect results overnight

gave up smoking
changed from eating all crappy processed foods to fresh from the farm [a bit more expensive than organic from supermarket] but well worth it for better health
drinks distilled water
exercised more frequently
used a rife machine with healing frequencies

after i would say about four or so months i hardly noticed any snoring from her

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
what helped my ex was changing her lifestyle habbits

i do not know if any of these apply to anyone who snore yet some may be similar, as this was her lifestyle change over a fair bit of time

do not expect results overnight

gave up smoking
changed from eating all crappy processed foods to fresh from the farm [a bit more expensive than organic from supermarket] but well worth it for better health
drinks distilled water
exercised more frequently
used a rife machine with healing frequencies

after i would say about four or so months i hardly noticed any snoring from her

I first read this ages ago, now rereading it made me laugh, I was envisaging this ending with "after about 4 months or so we split up and I couldn't hear her snoring anymore"...

Reminded me of the joke about the apple cart seller...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Nasal polyps can cause snoring too. I recently had to have a camera popped down my gullet under anasthetic to diagnose a reflux problem, as my gag reflex made it too dangerous while awake, and they noticed and removed several for me, at the same time. No more snoring. At least ,I havnt woken myself up with a big snort since, but as I live alone its just my perception that I no longer snore. I used to be aware of it regularly, but now I'm not.may be a coincidence, but I feel more rested now in the mornings, so I'm guessing I don't snore anymore. At least not as badly anyway.

Reactions: zornt and Essexman

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Discussed our forthcoming trip with next door neighbours. They are sailors rather the bushcrafters but we identified a problem with any group based activity. You might have foind a solution with your partner and yourself but when sleeping near people you don't know too well on a boat or when camping you often encounter snorers. He reminded me to pack my earplugs.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Any serious professional Snorers here ?
And have you found anything that helped? Techniques or gadgets.

Cheers.

< Some snorers may believe that they are a Tractor in the snoring dreams , I am apparently a Boeing 737 >
Yes..... Got the Dr's and ask about sleep apnea etc...

Also enquire about mouth guards. I've just got a new one - I no longer clear the caving club hut

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE