Any pipe smokers here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm getting bored with Cigs/roll ups.... i want to start smoking a pipe.

Much more variety as far as tobacco is concerned...which appeals.

So, questions for you guys who smoke a pipe...

Does the type of pipe matter or is it just a cosmetic thing?

And whats good to smoke? I want to try flavoured/aromatic stuff rather than standard smoking tobacco which I'm bored of... i want something with a lovely taste and smell when its burning..

Cheers :)

ayup.
pipe smoker here.
if ya gonna smoke aromatics I recommend you rethink the churchwarden.
it cools the smoke and prevents bite.(like a chemical burn on tongue)

id also recommend you consider getting samplers than a whole 50g tin to begin with until you find something you appreciate then get a tins worth.
consider buying a small corncob pipe as they dont absorb flavours (ghosts) of tobaccos and if ya sampling a multitude of baccys then you may contaminate one baccy with the flavour of another.
smoke king and GQ tobaccos do samples smoke kings are 5g and GQ are 10g I personally feel that 10g gives you two/three bowls worth of tobacco which is a good amount to decide if you want to buy a tins worth.

(no connection to either site bar spending my money on em)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

One day maybe :D

ayup.
pipe smoker here.
if ya gonna smoke aromatics I recommend you rethink the churchwarden.
it cools the smoke and prevents bite.(like a chemical burn on tongue)

id also recommend you consider getting samplers than a whole 50g tin to begin with until you find something you appreciate then get a tins worth.
consider buying a small corncob pipe as they dont absorb flavours (ghosts) of tobaccos and if ya sampling a multitude of baccys then you may contaminate one baccy with the flavour of another.
smoke king and GQ tobaccos do samples smoke kings are 5g and GQ are 10g I personally feel that 10g gives you two/three bowls worth of tobacco which is a good amount to decide if you want to buy a tins worth.

(no connection to either site bar spending my money on em)

Thanks for the info and advice Sam. :)

Check out E. A. Carey web page for pipes and tobacco

Andy

Thanks Andy :)

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Pipe smoker here too.Long pipe,cool smoke.I've just broken my Peterson and I'm a bit miffed.The pipes and tobacco's are endless.Enjoy.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Yep me too Mark,

What Sam said really

Any of the Peterson Special Editions are an amazing aromatic and my favourites. Solani Festival I love too.

As Sam said. Samples are the way to go. I've always used Smoke King as it's a cheaper option, but I'm going to swap to GQ next as the 10g will work better to try them out proper.

I never took to my corn cob as I got more bite than my other pipes. But they are cheap as chips. A nice basket pipe in a style you like for me, then like any hobby, it's how much do you want to spend and how many do you want to own. It's kind of like knives. Ones not enough.
You do need a few pipes if you are smoking regular as they need to dry out between uses.

I'd be tempted to get a straight and a bent style for starters and see which you prefer too. Loads of choices and will depend on your style.

Pipe, cleaners, samples, tamper, lighter/matches. Sorted

so just like any hobby you can spend as much or as little as you please.
I know folks who have spent a small fortune on an estate (second hand) pipe and those who are happy with a 12quid special.
to carry on with martins knkfe analogy its choice between a mora to a woodlore. they both work but some are prettier.

a good suggestion abiut the two different shapes to see which you prefer.
myself I prefer straight pipes unless I am stationery and not going anywhere for a while then its a churchwarden. or if I'm walking through tbe woods a bent ones better as the pipe is less likely to catch on branches.
there's whole new terms you can use too.
lunting-to walk whilst smoking a pipe

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Pipe smoker here too.Long pipe,cool smoke.I've just broken my Peterson and I'm a bit miffed.The pipes and tobacco's are endless.Enjoy.

Cheers, I'm sure i will :)

Listen to Sam.

And remember pipe smokers do enjoy a high incidence of mouth cancer.

I've smoked unfiltered roll ups since i was 16........... Cant see this being worse :D

Yep me too Mark,

What Sam said really

Any of the Peterson Special Editions are an amazing aromatic and my favourites. Solani Festival I love too.

As Sam said. Samples are the way to go. I've always used Smoke King as it's a cheaper option, but I'm going to swap to GQ next as the 10g will work better to try them out proper.

I never took to my corn cob as I got more bite than my other pipes. But they are cheap as chips. A nice basket pipe in a style you like for me, then like any hobby, it's how much do you want to spend and how many do you want to own. It's kind of like knives. Ones not enough.
You do need a few pipes if you are smoking regular as they need to dry out between uses.

I'd be tempted to get a straight and a bent style for starters and see which you prefer too. Loads of choices and will depend on your style.

Pipe, cleaners, samples, tamper, lighter/matches. Sorted

Thanks..:).... please don't tell me it's like knives.... i'll end up making them..... come to think of it, i do have some nice briar burl here........ How difficult are they to make? Cant see their being too much in it, couple of holes, a shaft.. bit of shaping and sanding.?

so just like any hobby you can spend as much or as little as you please.
I know folks who have spent a small fortune on an estate (second hand) pipe and those who are happy with a 12quid special.
to carry on with martins knkfe analogy its choice between a mora to a woodlore. they both work but some are prettier.

a good suggestion abiut the two different shapes to see which you prefer.
myself I prefer straight pipes unless I am stationery and not going anywhere for a while then its a churchwarden. or if I'm walking through tbe woods a bent ones better as the pipe is less likely to catch on branches.
there's whole new terms you can use too.
lunting-to walk whilst smoking a pipe
Thanks again Sam..:)... Lunting?

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Confirmed pipe smoker here.

I prefer a 3/4 or full bent pipe,since I tend to get a lot of moisture in my stems.

My favorite pipe of the day is the first one. I get up grab cup of coffee and head for the porch. I fill my pipe and salute the sunrise, sending smoke and prayers for the well being of family and friends. That includes all the friends on the forums I belong to. Then I sit dack and enjoy my coffee and smoke while looking at nature.

the last one of the day is special too. I sit and thank The Great Spirit for another day, then meditate to see if I have found some answers to problems that bother me.

Enjoy a pipe it teaches you how to slow down and relax.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They're not hard to make, get on it mate! The tricky bit is getting the hole from the stem in the right place with the bottom of the bowl. If it's not positioned right they gurgle and don't burn proper. A modded drill bit for the bowl is a big help but not necessity, and a four jaw chuck and lathe would be a massive help but I had neither when I had a bash. Redneck engineering and elbow grease worked just fine...

You're not limited to briar either, pear, apple and cherry woods make for nice pipes too. The first one I made seems to be the best smoker out of all the ones I own, must have got lucky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE