Any other photographers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Sounds like we had a similar start, even including the break.

I think you will enjoy the possibilities presented by Raw capture. It's like taking control of your work in the darkroom all over again. Even my compact is set to Raw these days, I just would not do it any other way.

The only disadvantage as far as I can see is the need for more storage media, but hard drive space gets cheaper by the day and memory cards are much the same.

Don't get sucked into all the hype about memory card speed though. Most cameras cannot write to the card at the top speeds that expensive cards boast and I've never missed a picture because I was waiting for my card to download to my computer.

In fact, I usually convert my Raw files to DNG format on import so card speed is definitely not the bottleneck in my workflow.

When I tackled Canon about publishing the maximum write speeds for their cameras they admitted that my 6D could not out perform a Class 6 card, which sells at almost half the price of the current Class 10 cards, so you can save a lot of money if like me you are building a collection of them for working off grid.

Thanks for the advice mate

So far I've never needed anything more than the Sandisk Extreme 3 series which are nice and cheap. I can see me needing another hard drive soon but like you say they are getting cheaper.

RAW has been a complete eye opener to me. I chuckle at my own stupidity that i wouldn't think twice about spending over £1000 on a lens but i've waited 4 years before spending £100 of some software to deal with RAW files :lmao:

Last edited:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I love photography, and am lucky enough to have an awesome office to happy-snap away in. I shoot with a canon EOS DSLR.

anare4y7.jpg

6yqe5edy.jpg

e8e3ypyh.jpg

gusudyta.jpg

uqa8aryv.jpg

vu4areju.jpg

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I'm quite keen on taking pictures too. Problem/issue I have is taking the camera kit out and about with me regularly. Take loads of pics with my iPhone but really wish it had a better lens.

Orric

Is that taken with your i Phone? I love it. Anybody can buy a 'better' lens... that won't necessarily make the photograph better in my eyes. It seems to me that the art is in subject and composition. Failure to realise this makes for poor photos no matter how 'good' the camera is. I sometimes think that a lot of amateur 'photographers' are actually just camera fans. You don't have to spend long looking at photography forums, or threads like this, to find pictures that are nicely exposed, very sharp, beautifully coloured, and absolutely awful because of poor composition. There are whole schools of art photography (Holga users for example) that have deliberately thrown this idea of 'quality' (in terms of exposure, sharpness etc) out the window to focus on light and composition.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I'm quite keen on taking pictures too. Problem/issue I have is taking the camera kit out and about with me regularly. Take loads of pics with my iPhone but really wish it had a better lens.

3epydyvy.jpg

Orric

I think the iphone has a great camera, with a great dynamic range, AWB and is fairly good low light conditions. You can also buy additional camera accessories such as Olloclip which has given me and others some great results, especially the macro lens...

garethw

Settler
Yep. I should have my 5D back soon. Lets hope this one lasts more than 8000 exposures.

I used to bend reality more in the dark room than I do in Photoshop these days.

It used to be part of the art as it were but now it's just too much of a cliché.

Once we went digital it was the smell of the darkroom I missed. Photography sort of lost part of its soul. (Who never dropped a film straight in the fix.)
That said a laptop and a mobile phone was far easier for transmitting pictures on assignment, than a darkroom in a suitcase, a hotel bathroom and an old drum transmitter.

Cheers
Gareth

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think the iphone has a great camera, with a great dynamic range, AWB and is fairly good low light conditions. You can also buy additional camera accessories such as Olloclip which has given me and others some great results, especially the macro lens...

Oh I agree its a cracking camera for its size and portability and the sheer fact I have it on me nearly all the time. The photo editing software apps are really impressive too. Not up to photoshop standard pretty good stuff

Didn't know about the olloclip attachment will have to give them my consideration........

I think too many people think its the camera that makes the picture good and don't appreciate it all starts with the mind.

Orric

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I'll put up a few when I'm back at 'big Mac' and not on the laptop. On the subject of film, nothing beat the excitement of seeing your image appear in the dish (those lovely white packets of Ilford paper...) - but on balance I wouldn't go back even if I had the chance. Not even for the proper clicky dials on my camera. Give me a camera with a 5D sensor in a K1000 body and I shall be well pleased.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
One of the consultants at work is a serious photographer, still uses the large format kit. Anyway, he was showing a mate some stunning pictures in an article he was reading and they were all taken with an iPhone, and this was before the iPhone 4, let alone 5. Kit only counts for so much right enough.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Didn't know about the olloclip attachment will have to give them my consideration........

Just look them up online . And see a Christmas present waiting lol

Orric

I was skeptical until I got one. The fish eye lens I could leave to be honest, but for macro lens alone it is worth a punt imo. Some of my best macro work on my instagram was done with the olloclip. Better than my dedicated macro lens for my dslr. Certainly worth a go...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Once we went digital it was the smell of the darkroom I missed. Photography sort of lost part of its soul. (Who never dropped a film straight in the fix.)
That said a laptop and a mobile phone was far easier for transmitting pictures on assignment, than a darkroom in a suitcase, a hotel bathroom and an old drum transmitter.

Cheers
Gareth

My computer sits underneath two wall mounted enlargers in my darkroom.

I can't bring myself to pack them up even though I haven't used them for years.

Nostalgia I guess...

garethw

Settler
My computer sits underneath two wall mounted enlargers in my darkroom.

I can't bring myself to pack them up even though I haven't used them for years.

Nostalgia I guess...

Still got two Dursts too... Not used for many many years... Plus a lab in a suitcase with Kindermans and dev trays... etc..
Can you still even buy HP5 and Ilfotec these days?

Still have a case of FM2s with prime lenses, 24, 28,35,85,& 180...

Best useless items are the 2x EOS 1n DCS520 (Canon/Kodak Digitals) .. all of 2 mega pixels I think on a high end camera body.. what a waste.. but cutting edge in 1998.
cheers
Gareth

Last edited:

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
My dad's a rugby league photographer , he takes pics free for all the armature clubs for the love of it and takes pro pics at big games , I admire him because he makes a lot of parents happy taking action pics of there kids playing rugby for free, check his website http://kingspix.co.uk/

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Still got two Dursts too... Not used for many many years... Plus a lab in a suitcase with Kindermans and dev trays... etc..
Can you still even buy HP5 and Ilfotec these days?

Still have a case of FM2s with prime lenses, 24, 28,35,85,& 180...

Best useless items are the 2x EOS 1n DCS520 (Canon/Kodak Digitals) .. all of 2 mega pixels I think on a high end camera body.. what a waste.. but cutting edge in 1998.
cheers
Gareth

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a system where the sensors can be swapped out as the technology improves. I'm sure it will happen eventually but who will be the first to step off the upgrade conveyor?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

Orric its not the lens but the sensor which is juts so tiny and the pixels are just so crammed in. More pixels does not actually mean better BTW.

garethw

Settler
I'm waiting for someone to come up with a system where the sensors can be swapped out as the technology improves. I'm sure it will happen eventually but who will be the first to step off the upgrade conveyor?

Yes that would have been brilliant as there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the first EOS 1n's. I believe they were at least 12 grand when new. I still have at least one film body left, and they were excellent cameras. The DCS520's are in virtually new condition but with the galloping technology they were very quickly obsolete. Now they are just very expensive paper weights.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE