Any other photographers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
It's more likely to happen with a complete new camera system with an interchangeable back.

The sensors will need supporting processors and DACs I guess.

It could end up something like the changeable backs on medium format cameras.

Unfortunately, this kind of goes against the flow in our 'throw away' society. Cameras, like Ipads are virtually obsolete before they hit the high street... If they made it so we could simply upgrade the sensor their profits would crumble..

But I think we are getting to a quality with digital now, where a few more million pixels won't make a lot of difference to the pictures.... This is more so on lower end cameras that use it as a selling point but still shoot through the bottom of a milk bottle. Most people are using cameras for blog, websites and on the pro front papers and magazines. Cameras have been good enough for that for a good few years.. all the race to produce the best figures on paper is really just marketing. The ergonomics of the camera is far more vital.

cheers
Gareth

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
More pixels can actually degrade the quality of an image - 'noise' reduction/limitation is far more important. The Nikon D700 was 'only' 12MP but produced excellent images; the Canon 1Dx has fewer pixels than the 5Diii but produces a better image.

MP-chasing is a fool's errand.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
the 1Dx is better IMO, I had one for a week (on loan I ought to have said), ordered one just before I got struck down some way past my prime earlier this year and lost all the stuff booked for the summer. If my fortunes ever recover, the first thing I intend to do after getting the missus back from the pawn shop and ceasing to make soup out of boiled socks and gleaned onions, is to get my paws on one.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I like the missile-lock style autofocus and the 12fps speed; I was supposed to be doing lots of equine and canine shots at country events this year, it gives you a lot better chance of getting saleable shots.

Plus it's completely useable in the rain which is more than you can say for the 5Dii.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
It's more likely to happen with a complete new camera system with an interchangeable back.

The sensors will need supporting processors and DACs I guess.

It could end up something like the changeable backs on medium format cameras.

That is available now but for silly money and mostly on tethered shooting only cameras

Unfortunately, this kind of goes against the flow in our 'throw away' society. Cameras, like Ipads are virtually obsolete before they hit the high street... If they made it so we could simply upgrade the sensor their profits would crumble..

But I think we are getting to a quality with digital now, where a few more million pixels won't make a lot of difference to the pictures.... This is more so on lower end cameras that use it as a selling point but still shoot through the bottom of a milk bottle. Most people are using cameras for blog, websites and on the pro front papers and magazines. Cameras have been good enough for that for a good few years.. all the race to produce the best figures on paper is really just marketing. The ergonomics of the camera is far more vital.

cheers
Gareth

I am using a 4 year old Olympus design and I get OK results from it. So I dont see where this argument stands for stuff being out of date but I will say most people are very much conned into believing this stuff.

I wouldn't jump to to many conclusions yet as to where digital image quality will end up we may still not be near finding out in 20 years.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
TBH I think they've taken still cameras pretty much to the limit in terms of pixel count, hence concentrating on things like focus speed and ISO noise in the pro models, and gimmicks like face recognition and social media links with the consumer stuff.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
All I know is that this image would have been impossible on my old 5D

Smoke-of-Creation.jpg

But I'm only starting to scratch the surface of what my 6D will handle.

It's not about the number of pixels but it does have a lot to do with the quality of those pixels.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
It's not about the number of pixels but it does have a lot to do with the quality of those pixels.

Absolutely - I still know people who swear by the Nikon D700 which is a dinosaur in pixel-number terms. And there was a Fuji DSLR which used hexagonal filaments in the sensor; many people were disappointed when they afterwards got out of the DSLR business. It was a big hit with wedding photographers as you could push the ISO quite high.

24MP or so seems the highest one needs to go, after that it's all about noise. Though personally I like the bigger bodied cameras as I have enormous paws and find the smaller ones a bit fiddly. My wife had a go on the D1x and absolutely hated it (I'm 6'6", she's 5'2" with little hands to match). One thing I hate about the 5Dii is the absurd omission that you can't set a minimum shutter speed - I shoot 95% of my stuff on aperture priority. Apparently they've remedied this howler on the mk. iii.

markmullen

Oct 4, 2012
North Yorkshire
Guys, those of you who hanker back to the old ways have a look at a medium format digital back. You can get an early back for a couple of grand now, and use it on all sorts of legacy gear.

The quality is superb, very little noise, no AA filter to soften things and with the earlier backs your pixel density is optimum having a large sensor area to work with.

I'm using a Leaf Aptus back on a Linhof Technikardan amongst other things, getting back to how I learnt whilst assisting in a studio as a youngster, working on Sinars. I've also got a Mamiya 645 AFDii to use it on which is just like a big SLR. There are still times when I use my 5D3, for high ISO astro shots for example, and long exposures, neither of which the aptus does well but for everyday landscapes it is awesome.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Bring back my old hassleblad ! Im a serving military photographer and having used digital for many years now, both canon and nikon I still remember that feeling, seeing a large format print roll out of a wet film processor enlarged using 120 negatives from a hassleblad. Digital will never replace that. However i do agree that digital backs for medium/large format cameras are they way ahead. IF you have the money. However just keep shooting with whatever you have and enjoy it.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE