Any other Home Bakers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
SWMBO just came back from Tesco

She got 4 1.5kg bags of Hovis wholemeal bread flour (yellow packet)

Too much to go in the usual place

Why £0.25 each no multibuy or anything just straight price

sell buy is March 2010

Mike

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I bake a loaf everyday so that the kids can have fresh bread for thier school lunch.I bake it in the evening so that it cools naturally by the morning.

No idea about Hovis flours. I stick to organic ones for the most part.

I usually bake traditional Irish soda bread (flour, soda, salt, buttermilk - nothing else - though others are nice it's not "traditional" so while I'd make it, it's not the same stuff) though I've been known to make normal (yeast) loaves and the likes too. I love the change in feel to the dough as you knead bread like that.

I tend not to pay a blind bit of attention to most things, flour being one of them, but maybe it was so cheap because they wanted the shelf space for something else.

I might be getting a bread maker soon. I'm likely to just knead it myself and bung it in the oven anyway but it will be nice to have the option.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
25p a bag is give away. Having said that I don't shop in Tesco and have a sack of organic wholemeal in so not for me. For anyone that fancies a go at breadbaking a few bags of that would be a good way to give it a try.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think that bread making is one of those things that needed practice, you can do great bread and then naff bread then great bread etc, after a while though it starts coming together and becoming more natural. Now and then we do it all by hand, often the dough for rolls and pizza is done in the maker and then finished off in the oven.

I think we need to get into a routine with making it regularly and then we might stick at it. Saying that I make unleavened breads from scratch quite a bit, Nan, Chapati, Paratha, tortillas and the like, a bit easier though :D

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I tried using a bread maker ut found from start to finish would take 3 hours.I can do it by hand ,start to finish in 2 and a half hour.And it tastes better.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, i agree on the taste but I do think you save time as you can walk away from the maker... Saying that we're trying to get more into just making by hand, getting used to it and knowing when we can leave it for a bit, when to worry and not etc...

We got the river cottage bread making book which seems to be quite good, i saw an episode of the last series as well that was all about bread, that was good to watch.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I would forget breadmakers & learn to do it the proper way by hand. The nice thing about bread is you do a bit, let it stand for an hour, do a bit more, leave it another hour then bake it. It;s nice to do when you are pottering round the house doing lots of small jobs & then keep coming back to it. Nothing like a good homemade loaf.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
SWMBO just came back from Tesco

She got 4 1.5kg bags of Hovis wholemeal bread flour (yellow packet)

Too much to go in the usual place

Why £0.25 each no multibuy or anything just straight price

sell buy is March 2010

Mike

25p each! That's cheap! I'll have to see if my local Tesco is doing the same price.

I bake bread a lot.

I have to say that I use a bread maker. I've got through several of them and some are better than others. I'd say that of the machines I've tried and looked at that the Panasonic is the best and produces a better loaf.

Okay I could do it by hand but I'm not going to get up at four in the morning to bake my morning loaf when the breadmaker can be set with a timer to have it ready for my breakfast.

For other loaves I can set the machine to do the dough bit while I do something else then I just take it out, shape it and stick it in the oven. Today I did a Focaccia with part wholemeal flour - tasty. I've also been making a few Panettone recently.

A tip for people who grow their own veges and have a glut of courgettes. Finely grate a courgette and use it as part of your liquid content. Say for example your loaf needs 300g of water, then you grate in around 70-100g of courgette and add water to make up the 300g. You can barely taste the courgette but it gives extra nutrition.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
25p a bag is give away. Having said that I don't shop in Tesco and have a sack of organic wholemeal in so not for me. For anyone that fancies a go at breadbaking a few bags of that would be a good way to give it a try.

I bought two sacks of Organic (one white, one wholemeal) from a wholesaler but they can't beat 25p a sack.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I bake a loaf everyday so that the kids can have fresh bread for thier school lunch.I bake it in the evening so that it cools naturally by the morning.

Same here Chris, well almost everyday. I use those bread mix packets from tesco's, crusty white bread. Much quicker than using flour and yeast etc as you dont have to leave it to rise for a couple of hours. Takes about an hour at most start to finish. Thats doing it by hand including cooking time. I don't use a bread maker. No room for one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE