Any ideas ?

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Don't know if this is the right thread (mod's ?) but it is DIY related.
A friend has just dropped off some off-cuts from an expensive shop re-fit namely :-
a piece of copper sheet (still with backing paper) 36" x 6" x 1/8" thick and a piece of brass tube 12" long by 4" diameter and also 1/8" thick.:D
His parting words were I thought these were too good for the scrap bin and you'd be able to make something out of them ?
They're sat on the table waiting for inspiration :confused: any ideas out in BCUK land ?
cheers all Danny

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The copper sheet is worth a fair bit of money.Lucky man!Could try some art & crafts style beaten copper plate..
As for the brass tube,what about that device on Ray mear's programme,er,the one with steven king's tinder tube thingy...(someone help me out here!)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like the makings of a portable wood burner, something that slots together and can be dismantled for carrying.

pwb

As for the brass tube,what about that device on Ray mear's programme,er,the one with steven king's tinder tube thingy...(someone help me out here!)

Is it a Tinder Tube your thinking of launditch1 .

tinder+tube.jpg

I'm sure QDanT says the diameter of the tube is 4" .

Pete.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the idea of a tinder tube, which is new to me. Must get one of those. As for the sheet of brass, maybe you could make a fancy brass hotplate to cook your breakfasts on, if the brass will stand the heat of the coals long term. Thinking about it, you could make the legs out of the brass tube, like those on that good DIY Grill that was in a thread few weeks back.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
The Swiss volcano mug is just a tut under 4" so I cut a 4-1/2" circle out of the copper sheet using a jigsaw and metal cutting blade.A quick stack of fire bricks and my biggest propane nozzle soon had it up to dull red then into a bucket of cold water.Then using a full 800 grm. Heinz Tomato soup can,which is as good as 4", as a former and my 1-1/2 lb. hammer (post 38 Rush dips) a few heat quench hammer cycles with a quick sand and polish and a brass picture hanger pop rivited on produced this :-

Crusaderlid2.jpg

It's not light weight at 4-1/2 oz. but ok for car camping or the back garden.Picture of the brass tube next to it.Nicks suggestion of a one cup kelly kettle sounds ok but I don't know about the brass tarnishing then drinking out of it ? I can silver solder lead and cadmium free but you don't really get chance to see inside. Portable wood burner (Shewie) the whole brass tube weighs just over 3lbs. so with grates and pot stands it's going to end up a Gorilla job ! I'm still trying to think of something bushy for it though.
cheers all Danny

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Is it a Tinder Tube your thinking of launditch1 .

tinder+tube.jpg

I'm sure QDanT says the diameter of the tube is 4" .

Pete.

Ah.Yeah,yer right!Big of a big tinder tube...:rolleyes:
For the brass,how about a match case with copper cap and bottom?Or a tinder box with copper lid and bottom?

As for spoons and ladles id recommend tinning the surfaces that come into contact with food.All old copper utensils are tinned inside so you dont pick up nasties from the metal.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Swiss volcano mug is just a tut under 4" so I cut a 4-1/2" circle out of the copper sheet using a jigsaw and metal cutting blade.A quick stack of fire bricks and my biggest propane nozzle soon had it up to dull red then into a bucket of cold water.Then using a full 800 grm. Heinz Tomato soup can,which is as good as 4", as a former and my 1-1/2 lb. hammer (post 38 Rush dips) a few heat quench hammer cycles with a quick sand and polish and a brass picture hanger pop rivited on produced this :-

Crusaderlid2.jpg

It's not light weight at 4-1/2 oz. but ok for car camping or the back garden.Picture of the brass tube next to it.Nicks suggestion of a one cup kelly kettle sounds ok but I don't know about the brass tarnishing then drinking out of it ? I can silver solder lead and cadmium free but you don't really get chance to see inside. Portable wood burner (Shewie) the whole brass tube weighs just over 3lbs. so with grates and pot stands it's going to end up a Gorilla job ! I'm still trying to think of something bushy for it though.
cheers all Danny

Cracking job Danny

You could probably sell a few crusader lids along the same line if you wanted.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Shewie's idea of a crusader lid has got the jigging up thinking in motion. The volcano lid I really had to give it some heavy hammer even anealed at 1/8" thick,
that's where the Heinz soup tin at just the right size came in, the swiss volcano mug wouldn't have stood up to the bashing.
I'll try cutting a former out of wood for the crusader lid and drill the pop rivit holes at the begining then I can screw it to the wood to stop it moving which was a problem
with the swiss volcano lid untill it started to get some shape.Launditch1's idea for a tinder box sounds interesting :thinkerg: as the swiss volcano lid is a really good fit on the brass tube.
The weather is for a wet and colder week so if they get it right :lmao: it's back into the shed. cheers all :beerchug: Danny

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Brass shouldn't be cooked in, since it contains a hefty amount of zinc. However it can be tinned on the inside to avoid theis problem.

I'm not sure on the weight, but how about a few brass-walled, copper-base and -lidded muckets or billys? Tin-lined of course. You could probably trade or sell one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That lid is gorgeous. Probably doesn't work any better than alu but pretty.....

I wonder if you could make match boxes out of the copper? Square ones the size of a normal match box? one sheet bent round to make a sleeve, the other a "cross shape". Bend the arms up and solder them to make the tray. Be a beautiful thing to look at. Some ork with a punch might even provide a striking surface

Just a thought

Red

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Nice catch!

I think scandi spacers and bolsters too. If there's more than you can use I would be tempted to trade the surplus on here for other (knifemaking) bits and bobs

Rat

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Crusaderlid.jpg

Crusaderlid2-1.jpg

5-1/2 oz this time piece of wood is the former I used to bashed it round.
Took x4 heat quench goes but used hot felt propane torch so alot hotter than yesterday with the result of the copper being softer
cheers all Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE