Any collapsable rod users ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Lo, Thinking of getting a collapsible rod for coarse fishing in scotland. Few questions

1) Any decent makes of collapsible rods ? Ive seen a few nice looking ones, but they seemed too cheap to be true. Whats a usual price for an average rod ?

2) How do you avoid the line guides getting bashed and bent when out in the woods on a bimble ? I have a 10' lake rod and had alot of issues with that when i used to fish, call me clumsy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Shimano Exage are nice rods, reasonably priced too.

I tend to go for a budget tele rod and match it with a decent reel and rig.

Depends on what you mean by collapsible, do you mean telescopic or multi-section?
As Shewie says Shimano Exage rods are great, both the telescopic & multi-section ones & cheap telescopics have their place in a canoe (where expensive rods always seem to get broken).
Personally for packing into the woods I would take a multi-section with a small reel, two spools with different strength lines & a variety of terminal tackle so that I can target anything from small perch, through trout to pike!
Hope this helps....

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
yea, i mean telescopic, sorry :)

i guess if i go cheap i can not worry about it too much. It's just that i'd likely be strapping it up the side of a burgan, so i wondered if theres some trick im unaware of as i can imagine it getting smashed when going through forests, i seem to smash them at the best of times

edit: that said, i guess if the rod comes in sections small enough to be strapped in such a way it'd do the job. I know my old rods were 2 piece and so still fairly lengthy.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The little rod I'm using at the minute came in a flattened tube which is pretty handy, it keeps the eyes from getting snagged on stuff and generally makes it easier to pack and tie onto stuff.

I think I paid around £20 on ebay for this one, good spec materials with a proper cork handle etc.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've used a John Wilson Nomad telescopic rod for a couple of years & it's been very good. The action is brilliant - you wouldn't know it was a tele. Comes with a 1.25TC Avon top as standard & 3 screw in quiver tips. For a multi section, the best I've ever used is a Bob James 5 piece travel rod - big bucks tho. The second best is a Grey's 5 piece Barbel Travel - superb!! Supposed to be a 2.0TC but I reckon it's 1.75 plus a seperate quiver tip section. You can get them for about £60 if you shop around & they're worth every penny.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've got a shakespeare 8ft telescopic. It cost £12.95.

It would struggle with anything over 4 lb line, but I've been surprised at what a good action it has for its price. Its perfect for spinning for trout in the scottish lochs.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
There's loads of decent ones around now but go for multi sections & NOT tele everytime!;)
You can get just about every concievable type of rod in a travel version or multi section, I have 5 different weight of fly rod in 4 or more sections, lure rods from ultralight to a decent weight baitcasters and even a 3lb TC pike rod and 2 boat rods and to be fair you can hardly tell any difference between them and some of my other top end & sometimes 1 piece. Savage gear roadrunner lure rods are superb as are, as previously mentioned Shimano STC which do lots of different types.
Forget tele's even the good ones don't cut it for me:yikes:

But then I'm a tackle tart and been at it a while!:cool:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I have a savage gear roadrunner superb pike lure/stalking rod, a bit heavy for anything smaller though I'd say its sovergunned for anything under 10lbs. I've jus sold on my orvis frequent flyer 7 piece fly rod, a proper decent pack down rod.

Im gonna put my neck on the line here and go against what marc says (sorry :p ) but for mucking about a cheap tele will do, I would kick myself if I broke a good multi section rod.

have you tried a hobo handline?.... I have used them to great success.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have a savage gear roadrunner superb pike lure/stalking rod, a bit heavy for anything smaller though I'd say its sovergunned for anything under 10lbs. I've jus sold on my orvis frequent flyer 7 piece fly rod, a proper decent pack down rod.

Im gonna put my neck on the line here and go against what marc says (sorry :p ) but for mucking about a cheap tele will do, I would kick myself if I broke a good multi section rod.

have you tried a hobo handline?.... I have used them to great success.

How very dare you!:nono::D

Its fair to say that I'm not a fan and they're the only rods I've ever broken.
The roadrunner spinning rod is not as brutal as the baitcaster, I have them both and they are both nice pike rods but either would be outgunned with a 6oz broon troot!:cool:
For those I have lovely BromanOdell 6ft ultralight:eek:

Don't know if they still do them but there used to be some on ebay, firefly I think they were called. Heard good things about them.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
tis the non-baitcaster version that I own, well impressed for the price.

How much did the ultralight set you back??? :p I fancy a march brown fly rod when I get the money!! 10 piece!!

hobo handline gets my vote, works well in the right hands. Find yourself a nice slightly whippy green forked stick about 4ft long to help you cast a bit further.

P10100062.jpg

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Got it the PAC conferance last year, nicked it for £60.......they are usually a lot more, very sweet little rod though with a 1000 Stradic on it.
I'm going more for multi sect these days only the biggest tart can tell any difference these days,
But it seems I'll get rid of them all and just get loads of plastic bottles!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If you are feeling flush, take a look at the Shimano 5 piece tribal A lite, 6'6" to 7'6" - aimed mainly at carp fishing but it has a 2.75lb test curve and can cast 100g, that's pretty beefy for a little rod, it also comes with a hard carry case (tube) for strapping to packs. Alternatively, check out the much cheaper 6'6" Ugly Stik Travel Spin, a lightweight spinning rod that breaks into 4 sections and packs into a tube.

Last edited:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
rods are much more of a pleasure to use dont get me wrong! nowt wrong with being a tackle tart I have to restrain myself most of the time!! Sounds like a good set up what casting weight is it? I'd love o have a go with something 5g and under.

I've had the ugly stick and tis very ugly. Feels like a wet noodle, but the width of your arm, I would not reccomend. Probably quite unbreakable though.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
shimano stradic aint a bad reel, the cheaper shimano ones are worth it too, I've used the alivio range a few seasons now very impressed when they only cost 20 quid a pop, shame that spare spools are a pain to get hold of.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Yep, usually if it got Shimano on it it'll be decent!

Sedonas are good for the £ too. My favourite FS reels are the Abu sorons at the moment, very nice they are-every bit as good as the Stradic.
Theres alot of good budget gear about, stick to the reputable brands though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE