Antler woodlore ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think they are like rocking horse poo. P7perfect got one recently so he might be able to provide a photo. I would be surprised if anyone else on the forum has an original.

Go on then prove me wrong.............

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
What's the deal with them - is it that he only ever gave them to instructors to symbolise the added weight of responsibility? Or is that just so much rumour?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I can confirm the second part is true. Ray told me himself, while letting me examine his knife while on a course. It is noticably heavier than my micarta version.

Dave

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Are the scales shaped as with the other woodlores ?
Is all the other dark grainy outer antler lost ?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
RB,

From what I can remember (it was a couple of years back now) the scales were exactly the same shape as current Woodlore knives. The antler was worked back totally smooth, I guess it must have been a pretty dense antler, it didn't appear pourous at all.
I was really surprised when Ray handed it to me after I asked him what the scale material was!

Dave

PS - there were some good shots of it on last night program.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I`ve seen the antler knives a few times, basically exactly the same as the AW with wooden scales, same shape etc.

Nothing special in the knife itself, just antler scales instead of wook, just what it means to some poeple

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Checked out page 79 and it does look like the one he was using in last nights programme.

Still like to see a good clear pic to decide if im gonna rescale the WS.

hootchi

Settler
What type of entler do you think it would be?

Mearsy was saying reindeer is better than red deer because the marrow is very fine. Taking a red deer antler or similar down to the thickness of a scale could expose the marrow. I'm not sure, just a thought.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
rapidboy said:
Checked out page 79 and it does look like the one he was using in last nights programme.

Still like to see a good clear pic to decide if im gonna rescale the WS.

Why don't you do it in something else? Someone has posted a picture either here or BB of one they rehandled in Lignum Vitae. It looked superb!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I really wanted to use dyed green bone but the guy who dye's it thinks it's unsuitable for a user as it's unstabalised.
Pity ,i used it on a little folder and it looked great but it's never going to take any punishment .
I might end up using wood but i like to use different materials to see how they work.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Doesn't Gene Ingram use dyed bone on some of his knives? Maybe you just need to find the right source.

Texas Knifemaker's has dyed bone, although it doesn't mention if it's stabilised.

Have you considered Big Horn Sheep? That would be very unique and durable too!
knife2524.jpg

I'm not sure on a supplier though.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im in no rush and im not 100% sold on anything yet so i will have a good around before i decide.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
I am pretty sure if you have Ray's new DVD, bushcraft survival series 1 he uses an antler handled woodlore in the extras section on camp knife sharpening, knife handling and cutting. It looks good with a contrasting layer in between the antler and the tang.
He also uses a different (non-woodlore!! :eek: ) in the field sharpening section.

Cheers,
RJP

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
What about page 144 in essentail bushcraft? 2'nd picture where Juha is slicing a length of inner bark? That looks a bit like antler to me, looks brighter than wood. :)

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Stew said:
Why don't you do it in something else? Someone has posted a picture either here or BB of one they rehandled in Lignum Vitae. It looked superb!

That was my WS Woodlore. It started life as a maple handles one, but unfortunately the wood had not been stabilsed correctly and the grain raised. Sooo I removed the handles which I have to say almost fell off as only a couple of dabs of epoxy had been used which meant there was no water tight seal between handle slab and tang.

I chose Lignum Vitae because of it's superb properties, very hard, very oily etc which made it perfect for a user which would be out in all weathers. The handle also had red liners.

I would add though that Lignum Vitae is a complete B*****D to work with. To shape the slabs metal files had to be used because the wood is so tough and it does tend to splinter if you're not carefull.

Cheers,

Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE