Antler Plectrum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Hi Folks,

Today I made a guitar plectrum out of red deer antler as a gift. But not being a guitar player I'm now wondering if it might be too stiff. How might it be made more flexible or less brittle?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
It might not be too stiff mate, flexible picks are good for chords and strumming whereas stiff picks are better for individual notes eg. in a solo. Ive seen me using a coin as an improvised pick so antler would work. Best thing to do is make sure it's thin and it should be fine. It's ultimately a personal thing with guitarists whether they like a hard or soft pick but they are both useful.

Thats an excellent idea btw I really like it.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Hi.. As a guitarist I can tell you that the stiffness of a pick is a matter of personal preference, I sometimes use an old sixpence and you dont get much stiffer than that !!! so I wouldnt worry that your deerhorn is gonna be too stiff ,far more important to concentrate on getting the edges as smooth as a baby`s ****. Hope that is of some help

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Great. That's good to hear. Thought I'd wasted a nice piece of antler there. Hoping it'll be nicer to use than plastic (or coin!).

Cheers!

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Plectrums were traditionally made out of turtle shell or wood, so antler should be an excellent material. I use a wooden plectrum for playing mandolin and would love to try playing with an antler plectrum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE