Another gas bottle wood burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Bosscat - SSS is Seasick Steve who has an album out at the moment called "Started out with nothing and I still got most of it left". It's hobo, blues, folk - great stuff!

Cheers

Cant say that I've heard of him but I'll check him out. I like a bit of blues now and again, when the mood takes me I listen to a Champion Jack Dupree.

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

owl

Nov 30, 2008
bosscat do u think that it is right to ASSUME! ,as a misdirection by u could have caused injury to Drongo and JohnC ,Ecobandit is correct in saying what he said and because of that he appears to have been banned your're a very naughty boy

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
RB - How's the ground after it's been in use?

I've thought about making one but thougth the bottom would need raising up to stop the ground being scorched. I'm only guessing though so some hard facts would be helpful. :)

Do you use a grate in the bottom?

owl

Nov 30, 2008
stew the ground does get hot but I dont think it would be difficult to make a stand or legs to raise it up and also it doesnt need a grate when burning wood,I know this cos my dad has one

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
bosscat do u think that it is right to ASSUME! ,as a misdirection by u could have caused injury to Drongo and JohnC ,Ecobandit is correct in saying what he said and because of that he appears to have been banned your're a very naughty boy

INJURY? Afraid youv'e lost me?

Drongo
I've tried unsuccessfully to remove the valve of a gas cylinder...
Other than it's a back to front thread, any other tips...?

It seems that Drongo already has tried to removed it before I posted and he also already knew that its (back to front thread). So I cant see how any misdirection by me could have caused Drongo any injury?

CLOCK - ANTICLOK?
Broch
I think you may be talking about different things when it comes to the valve thread. I believe that all threads on gas cylinders are tightened by turning them clockwise. The only thread that tightens by turning it anticlockwise is the hose thread that fastens onto the tap and it's that way round so you don't loosen the main valve thread when you put it on.

Just been out to check on my gas cylinder and that's how mine is!

So by Broch's report I was right on one level - ANTICLOCK - but wrong on another WHICH VALVE.

ECOBANDIT....?
Ecobandit is correct in saying what he said and because of that he appears to have been banned your're a very naughty boy

I cant see why saying........
Drongo and JohnC, to remove valve from 13kg gas bottle turn it ANTICLOCKWISE" trust me i'm a gynaECOlogist"
has got Ecobandit banned? Again youv'e lost me? Have I missed something?

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

leon-1

No you are incorrect, Ecobandit was banned for breaking forum rules and insulting other members of the forum, the ban is not permanent this time, however the next time it will be.

I note that you hold the same IP address as Ecobandit which would mean that you are posting from the same location.

Please could you drop me a PM as we also have a rule on multiple user accounts and you wouldn't want me to ban you under some misunderstanding.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apologies for the delay in getting back on with a definitive answer to how to get the top off the bottles, I've had some hassle with my computer so had to sort it out before getting back.

The bit that actually screws into the bottle has a normal: clockwise in, anticlockwise out thread. At Least on the bottles he has used up to now.

This is straight from the horses mouth. There appears to have been some confusion as to which bits had what thread and this seems to have led to disagreement.
Unfortunately, I couldn't really get back with a confirmed answer before.

I wouldn't faff around with one for a gold pig myself:D
cheers
and goodnight
Steve

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
Well after spending 20 mins of so beating the life out of the valve the wrong way around (clockwise to loosen)...

I had a look at the edge of the threads that were still exposed and discovered that they were infact a normal (anticlockwise to loosen) thread...

It came of really easy after that, one heavy thump with a wooden mallet on my wrench and the rest was done easily by hand...

What I wasn't prepared for was the amount of oily residue that came out of it when I filled it with water... Made a mess of my decking, but no serious drama, a bit of warm soapy water cleared that up easily before SWMBO got home...

Now to work out what to do with the now empty and safe container...

I like the looks of the one above, is the side part of top plate made from an old steel car wheel...?

I'm sure I've seen instructions, or other pictures of how to make one like the really cool one above, but for the life of me I can't find them...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I held off unscrewing the valve till the direction thing was sorted out, so I'll give it a go this weekend..

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

It worked, still here. Adjustable wrench, mallet, goggles (just in case)
IIRC they came off anticlockwise..
Both bottles filled with water and now sitting for a while

jddubber

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 12, 2008
Kettering
i just found a partially built one at a local scrappy i use for my ebay parts, the owner gave me it, just gotta weld on a decent chimney pipe now :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE