Another gas bottle wood burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
RB - How's the ground after it's been in use?

I've thought about making one but thougth the bottom would need raising up to stop the ground being scorched. I'm only guessing though so some hard facts would be helpful. :)

Do you use a grate in the bottom?

Sorry Stew! I missed your question earlier on:eek:

I don't actually own one yet:rolleyes:

When ever I see them in use, the ground certainly dries out considerably, I would imagine that with repeated use in the same spot, it would scorch or even set light to the ground, unless it was on sand or gravel.
lifting it would certainly avoid any chance of accidental ground fire.

As for a grate; none of the one's he's made so far, have had a grate fitted. The wood fuel burns to fine white ash but the amount that builds up, even after repeated burns, is quite minimal.
It seems to have little effect on the burn rate and when the stove is not in use,can easily be tipped out, onto the ground or as with the one he uses to heat the shed; just hoovered out from time to time ( when it's cold!) even better; the ash can be kept for use in making bark cordage;)

You could probably use an old wheel rim as a stand, this would make the stove even more stable as well as help to insulate the base from the ground.

Hope this lot helps and sorry for the delay in replying;)
cheers
R.B.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Had a go at cutting and welding this weekend

gasbottle1.jpg

gasbottle2.jpg

gasbottle3.jpg

This was using an angle grinder and a drill.

gasbottle4.jpg

gasbottle5.jpg

gasbottle6.jpg

This was welding on the strips round the door. My stick welding is improving, but not quickly. I think a night class should be on my list of preps for this year.

gasbottle7.jpg

gasbottle8.jpg

Making a set of hinges and a latch.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/DaveAI I've based it so far on the vids in this link that paintballvern kindly posted. I'm sourcing a bit of flat 2-3mm metal for the top. but will probably burn off the paint with a spare bit of thin metal on top first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE