Another "first spoon" - but without a spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
OK, I originally wasn't going to bother posting this, but after some discussions over here, I thought I might as well.

This is my first spoon, carved entirely using my Paul Baker "New Graduate" knife - no crook knives here! ;) It's made from pearwood, finished with boiled linseed oil, and about the size of a dessert spoon.

spoon.jpg

The bowl was carved using the tip of the knife like a gouge, driving it with a mallet, then smoothed out by sanding with a bow-drill and builder's sand before finishing with sandpaper. You can see some scoring in the bowl where I gouged a little too deep to be bothered sanding it right out.

All in all, OK, for a first attempt. I'm mainly posting it to prove you don't need a crook knife to carve a bowl.

I'll have to try it with a noggin or kuksa next - I know where there's a lot of birch burl lying around, but it'll need seasoned... ;)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hey Dunc, not bad - certainly looks better than my present 'first' spoon that im still in the process of making which the weather and the clock change is doing a grand job at stopping me in my tracks.

Look forward to seeing a kuksa attempt.

Good luck

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I like that a lot Gregorach.
I am still looking for my first spoon.
I think it has character and is obviously functional as well. There must be an enormous amount of satisfaction using a spoon that you made.
Best
ian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE