Another custom opinel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Well i had 5 mins spare this morning so i decided to customise my opinel no.6.

It isnt much but i thought i might use it for skinning rabbits, so i put a spear point on it. Obviously easy to do 5 min job

Top knife is standard no.6
and bottom is me spear point.

incidently i was under the assumption that no.6's had a lock but mine do not

opinel003.jpg

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
Very nice!

Your No. 6's do have locks, I can see that from your pictures.

Turn the metal ring at the base of the blade, that is the lock.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I may be wrong here - and please correct me if I am - but I thought the point you'd put on the Opinel is a drop point rather than a spear point (a true spear point being sharpened on both sides, like a spear). :confused:

Good knives btw. I've never owned one myself but I'm getting more and more tempted every time I see pics like these :D

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
The latest Opinels lock closed as well as open, try it on yours, close the blade and see if the locking collar will block the blade from opening.

Another little mod that I think is useful is to modify the grips to allow easier opening. Sometimes the blades can get a little stiff to open so this mod allows you to get a good grip on the blade.

fd45e437.jpg

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
-Switch- said:
I may be wrong here - and please correct me if I am - but I thought the point you'd put on the Opinel is a drop point rather than a spear point (a true spear point being sharpened on both sides, like a spear). :confused:

Good knives btw. I've never owned one myself but I'm getting more and more tempted every time I see pics like these :D

Good question. I think it's something to do with if the point falls below the centre line of the blade viewed from the side. I would say Shinken's knife mod is a spearpoint on that basis, but I like you am not certain of the real definition of a spearpoint. I'm sure someone will tell us.

This is what Opinel describe as a 'Spearpoint' No.8 This is not a mod.

f5b2a7e3.jpg

You really should buy one. They are along with the SAK one of the best value buys in the knife world.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I was always of the impression that a drop point is any blade where the spine drops down to meet the point. Like an Alan Wood Woodlore or a typical Victorinox large blade.
Whereas a spear point would be double edged - as I mentioned, like a spear - like the Boker mini smatchet for instance, or the Boker fighting knife.

The fighting knife and the swiss army knife both have the same blade shape, the difference being one is single edged (drop) and the other double edged (spear).

That's how I've always understood it but I've always been a little unsure and, like I said, I could be very wrong :)

I'm going over to BB for a definate answer :D

leon-1

spear point can be applied to any knife where the spine drops to an imaginary central line on the depth of the blade, it does not require to be sharpened on both sides.

A drop point is where the spine drops away to form a point, it doesn't have to be drastic it can be very small as in the case of the Fallkniven H1 where the point only drops in the last 10mm or so and for only a very small margin.

A clip point is prett much what it says if you clipped the end off this is what you would end up with.

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
-Switch- said:
I was always of the impression that a drop point is any blade where the spine drops down to meet the point. Like an Alan Wood Woodlore or a typical Victorinox large blade.
Whereas a spear point would be double edged - as I mentioned, like a spear - like the Boker mini smatchet for instance, or the Boker fighting knife.

The fighting knife and the swiss army knife both have the same blade shape, the difference being one is single edged (drop) and the other double edged (spear).

That's how I've always understood it but I've always been a little unsure and, like I said, I could be very wrong :)

I'm going over to BB for a definate answer :D

Good idea.

I always think off the SAK blade as a spearpoint.

I'll wait for the experts :tapedshut

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
leon-1 said:
spear point can be applied to any knife where the spine drops to an imaginary central line on the depth of the blade, it does not require to be sharpened on both sides.

A drop point is where the spine drops away to form a point, it doesn't have to be drastic it can be very small as in the case of the Fallkniven H1 where the point only drops in the last 10mm or so and for only a very small margin.

A clip point is prett much what it says if you clipped the end off this is what you would end up with.

So, for clarity, is Shinken's modded Opinel a spearpoint or a drop point in your view, and what about the SAK blade?

leon-1

Shinken's mod isn't quite to the central line this would make it a drop point rather than a spear point.

When you look at opinels knife it is literally dropped to half the depth of the blade.

You were quite correct about the Ka-Bar as well, it is a clip point.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
I can't figure it out guys?? Opinel have a spear point shape blade #8 for like about $12 Aussie it is readily available and is identical to these so called "modified" ones. Why not just buy it???

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Because A i enjoyed doing it, B i couldnt find a spearpoint one here, And C i already had a number 6!

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE