Anone else glad Autumn and Winter are just around the corner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I'm sure the seasons have been discussed before, but Autumn and Winter are without doubt my favourite. I wondered if anyone else is glad they are just around the corner?

I'm not very good at expressing myself by typing (I'm much better after a couple of whiskies!), so here is my list of why I like the Autumn and Winter best!

The countryside feels much more raw. The harsher weather gives the environment a much more menacing feel and atmosphere, and you are much more likely to find that have remote and wild places to yourself. To me, the weather has so much more energy in the winter.

I also like the increased challenge of pitting yourself against the elements. You have to be much more switched on to how a change in the weather can rapidly change your overall welfare and comfort levels. I like the fact that you are always trying to keep your kit dry and working around problems like keeping your kit clean and dry.

I think the air is purer as well. In winter it so easy to speand all day stuck in doors - you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. During the winter months, the air seems so much fresher - you can't beat a bracing walk in the wind and rain across to hill tops.

Anyway, just a few ramblings - how do you all feel?

Mat

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
The clarity of the air after the stifling heat of mid summer.
The feeling of warmth from the fire in the evenings.
Needing to get out to split and prepare wood for the fire at home.
Cosy evenings at home, cold bracing evenings camping (best viewed from a warm hammock I feel).
The colours of the countryside.
Wrapping up warm.
Trying to keep warm in the Land Rover.

Agreed the best time of year, spring and summer are just so easy!

Stewey. :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I do like the Autumn / Winter, but wish I had had more opportunities to practice some stuff in the Summer so I could concentrate on other stuff in the Winter. Ah well, "if its not raining, its not training".....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the whole *having* to do stuff of Autumn and Winter. It's not survival, but it is being prepared.
The air feels cleaner, you can feel every breath some days :cool: Even the water tastes better.

Besides, I get time to actually make things just because I want to. :D And it's the time for fire festivals, gathering, visiting, enjoying the warmth of your own place and the company you keep.
The night skies are brilliant, walking under them is a quiet pleasure, and to tumble, finally, into bed, warm and dry and at peace with the world is hard to beat.
All good things.

Cheers,
Toddy

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i am glad that autumn and winter are close, i cant stand the hot weather in the summer i sweat like a pig, i will also get to use my new m65 copy
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I get all pessimistic in autunm and suffer from SAD in the winter (I think thats what it is) I do like all the things that are going on in the autumn like the wildlife getting prepared for winter, love all the autumn colours.
As I work outside all the time, the wet and windy, winter time is nasty, the cold gets into your bones, and work is often affected by the weather.
I do enjoy some things about winter........No leaves on the trees, so it makes bird watching a lot easier. Love putting on all the extra layers to keep snug, the camp fire is just so welcoming, mulled wine, hmmm, I am starting to want winter to come......... :D

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I wouldn't say that I like autumn and winter better than spring and summer, but I do enjoy the latter two seasons.

The fire is much more welcoming, the air seems much fresher and the challenges even harder. The wildlife and nature are pleasing in the colder seasons, but I also like them in the warmer part of the year too.

Snuggling in a sleeping bag / in bed in winter is just the dogs whatsits though, much more enjoyable than in the warmer months.

My 2 pence worth...ATB...Stu

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
:newbie: Greetings my very first post on this excellent site and this seems a cracking thread to put it on!

I reckon you have just about nailed it with that first post Mat as that pretty much sums up my love of Autumn and Winter. There is definitely a magical charge in the air and there are few more beautiful sights than a hard frost or fresh snowfall under a full moon. I have a favourite place I always head for on the coldest of Winter nights when the moon is full just to sit and stare at the landscape - look out for my ashes there in around 60 years (fingers crossed :p )

I am also a shameless lover of Halloween and Christmas and always will be so let the chill commence! :D

B

Banjobill

For me, each of the seasons holds its own special magic. But more important, is being aware that the seasons exist at all!

I live in a very rural part of the country (Hereford/Worcester border), but I work in Birmingham. The commute to work is great, because I travel through some beautiful countryside, and the changes within and between the seasons are very noticable, but mention this to anyone at work, and you might as well be talking in a foreign language :) Sure, they know if its Summer or Winter, but that's about it.

As a society, we have so lost our connection with the seasons and the turning of the year, but I am so glad that atleast I have reconnected :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i was in princes street gardens in edinburgh today and even with the weather being dreich (thats grim in english) the quality of the autumn light seemed to enhance the colours of the berries on the rowan trees.

the leaves that were starting to turn seemed more vibrant too, as if the pigmentation was washed clean of summer haze and pollution.

another good part of winter for me is coming home from work - usually cold, wet and aching - to a huge bowl of broth, a hot bath, a roaring fire and a wee dram.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Silverback said:
:I reckon you have just about nailed it with that first post Mat as that pretty much sums up my love of Autumn and Winter. There is definitely a magical charge in the air and there are few more beautiful sights than a hard frost or fresh snowfall under a full moon.

I am also a shameless lover of Halloween and Christmas and always will be so let the chill commence! :D

I agree with all of that! (I've not really been here long enough to start welcoming
people but welcome anyway :eek: ).

Autumn is my favourite time of year - I like the fact that it gets dark at 'normal'
times rather than this dragging on of daylight in summer :rolleyes:. It just seems much
cosier. Plus my 'internal thermostat' if there is such a thing much prefers the
cooler weather.

I woke up on Sunday morning, Oct 1st with an overwhelming desire to start
making soup :D Autumn was the most fun as a child and Hallowe'en and
Bonfire night was probably a pretty big part of that - not much has changed.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Big Bad Stu said:
Trying to keep warm in the Land Rover.
The only way i have found is to dress like i was outside anyway!!! all the windows are open to stop it steaming up on the inside. I wonder if i could fit a wood burning stove where the cubby box is?????? :cool:
lou

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Ah yes I'm glad to see the sweltering back of summer. A hot one this year!

Then again, I wouldn't like it to be cold all year round. I agree with Jodie it's much cosier this time of year.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I love the seasons, the start of a new one and the end of the old, in a while I’ll be thinking that it’s fantastic Winter is here, and then Spring etc. Right now I’m loving the autumn, I’m watching the trees change colour, I’m getting wood and chop chop chopping to feed my 18kw stove that we’ve started having on this last week.

Cool evenings with bright clear skies….I sat in my living room last night and couldn’t go to bed for ages because my fire was just so lovely to sit in front of with the flames bouncing about and the sound of the stream running by the window (it runs under my house)

Fungi growing all over my wood pile, animals taking shelter, the spiders have started coming in! The rivers are flowing which will let the Salmon move about at last and probably most noticeable is everyone looking at me in my shorts and t-shirt!

Autumn, a lovely time of year indeed :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Don't know whether to say glad or relieved,
I posted in another thread about prefering the colder months but my reasons are a little more domestic than that. Our well has been dry for a few weeks now, meaning that we've had to rely on buckets of water from the farm, buying in drinking water etc. The massive downpour we had on sunday has filled the well so fast that it has stirred up loads of sedeiment meaning that we still can't use it, so I have even more work to do to make it pottable - but at least we have the moisture in the groud to replace whatever we use.
There are elements of enjoying the autumn and winter as most of you have said already, though the poinient phrase about pitting your witts against the weather are very close to my heart.

Looking forward to getting out in the first snow showers with the children.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Have to agree with banjobill each season has its merits and its hi points . That first swim in the cold sea in early summer, dozing on a hot summer afternoon with the drone af the insect life , those first few nuts of Autum or tramping thro virgin snow on a cold night with a full moon or the Thrill as the seeds sown on March day burst into life in the spring giving the anticipation of a bumber harvest ahead . no i think i just love the cycle of the seasons

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE