Anone else glad Autumn and Winter are just around the corner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
i think i might be sad but me favorat time of year is winter i like the cold. i work in a cold store 2 to 5 degrees so i dont mind just make sure you have got ther right kit on cos any one can be cold :lmao:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I love autumn and winter, I seem to have more energy. I love the ferocity of the weather, but mosty of all, I like being in it for a bit, then getting out of it. It seems so rewarding.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
i prefer the cooler times of year.

Coming home to a freezing cold house and lighting the fire that was prepared that morning is always a pleasure.

On a selfish note, the cooler the better- my exzema itches an awful lot less in the winter, long sleeves at work clear up the stubon patches that appear on my forearms over the summer :(

As the cover dies back, fereting season begins, i love being out with my uncle and his 2 ferrets. It's great getting up early and crunching through an early frost.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Strangely i feel safer in the winter, more snug in ( not with ) myself. i suppose these seasons force me closer to nature by the very elemts of the weather.
You see the bare bones of the countryside and start to wish you had paid more attention to tree identification when they had leaves. :D
Also i found it interesting that someone mentioned noticing that the season has changed. this struck a strange cord in me.
I live just outside central london doing a city job and to most people around me the change in season means the addition of an umbrella, and that's it.
I feel that we ( Generic ) should know what the new season means, whether it be animal habits, farming methods ( the harvest etc ) or even folk law.
It saddens me in a way that most of the people i come into contact with are so detatched from nature. Some people possitively shun it and can't wait to be behind locked doors in a bubble of life created by someone else.

Thinking on, things sound different in the winter. The very weather smothers the noise of your feet. the woods are quiet and you are driven into yourself. It is also a time for contemplation of the past year because of this and a time to look forward to the new year.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I love and hate this time of year. Its cold in the mornings but warm in the afternoon so I never seem to be able to get my cloathing right :D

The compensation for this is that I get to see the sun rise and its absolutly beutiful.
We had our first ground frost this morning, it wasn't everywhere but only in the low bits. It makes me feel alive when I go out on a cold and frosty morning, see the colours in the trees steadily emerge with a golden sunrise.

Im quite lcky here because we have reasonably good weather at this time of year, so much so that they call it "Golden October".

I like winter too, when the ground is covered with a pristine layer of snow. It makes everything so quiet and you can stand there feeling warm and cosy in a winter jacket just listening to.....well, nothing.

Also the christmas markets are great, with Glühwein (mulled wine) and the smells of roasted meat and spices from the christmas biscuits.Ahhhhhhhhh :D
Roll on December

Cheers, Andy

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
What we called "the back-end days" of the year... Great time for being out and about, plenty of wild fruit for the picking.

You can walk for hours without overheating and getting thirsty. Though I'm a bit of a camel for that. I'll neck three pints at 06h00 and not drink again before 18h00, after walking about 20 or 30 miles.

Autumn air is moist, full of the smell of leaf litter.
Winter air is cold and crisp.

I'm looking forward to the snow. 20" overnight again would be a dream come true!

K.

A

Alfa

I do prefer autumn and winter. May they last long and be very cold. To me the best part is when out camping or on a bivouac, then waking and seeing evrything covered in snow. The most magical moment would be, just some moonlight and then the snow starts falling...

U

uk ken

I do enjoy the first bite of cold weather, the leaves changing colour on the trees and beasties preparing for the winter.

This is the time of year when a fire starts coming into its own. :) I hate miges and mozzies, so this time of year is good and getting better in that respect.

Ken

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I look forward to this time of year all summer. :)

Climate change is robbing us of our cold winters though and I can't afford to go to the snow abroad now. :(

Never mind, when the Yosemite super volcano blows we can have winter all year round :cool:

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
It's not just me then!

I used to treat the outdoors as somewhere to 'do things'. I'd do a lot of hiking, mountain biking, caving etc and not pay much attention to the environment around me. Come the winter, I'd all but pack up and stay indoors for 6 months getting more and more depressed!

I've still got an enormous amount to learn, but Bushcraft has taught me to appreciate the seasons more and to be happy just being outside breathing the fresh air and taking pleasure from simpler things, regardless of whether it's hot, sunny, raining or snowing. I get such a buzz now from being in the woods and, armed with loads of books, trying to ID a tree, plant or animal!

J

justdave

Time for fires in the stove, wool socks and an extra blanket or two on the bed(as if a dog lying on your feet weren't enough). Snow falls and turns the evergreens white, the air clears and crisps up. I love this time of year, look forward to it all year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE