Ankles? Medical advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I was attacked recently, both front teeth snapped in half, they are replacing them on jan 12. I must have a strong noggin, as no skull fracture. No jaw fracture. But my skull, bone is bruised, and not going down well. My pupil in my right eye is permanantly bigger than my left. It was closed fully for two weeks. Odd really, but no damage to ribs etc. I have no real memory of the event, but I was found by the roadside by an ambulance at 6:35am! God knows how long I had been there. Cash card stolen. [I was pretty drunk. :(] I think I was hit by a bat across the face. Cash card stolen. Knife cuts on my shirt. Like slashing cuts. And a very small stab wound in my back.
I woke up in hospital, and was floating in and out of conciousness for three days. They did CT scans on my head, spine, x rays on my ankle. Nothing broken. [I cant remember any of that]

The thing that worries me is my ankles. On both feet where they join the foot, underneath the ankle bone, it hurts. Im hobbling about, and when i turn my feet inwards it is painful. Ive strapped them both up, and have a doctors appointment on dec 28th.
[I wonder if they ran over them.]

I think I was mugged in a dark part of town, by a group of big lads in a car, my size and age maybe, whilst walking up toward a taxi rank. No police involvement. I think a passer by rang an ambulance? Nothing suspicious, I have no enemies etc. Just a bunch of crazy ******** by the look of it. I can vaguely remember a smiling face putting the boot into my eye.

Ive been using feldene gel on them, [we have that in the house]

Can anyone with medical experience offer any solutions please, it would be most appreciated. Thankyou. What else will help? Paracetamol? Co-codamol?

Im using these at the moment. Which help a bit. Im most concerned about my ankles, as I need to be able to walk properly......4 weeks before I go to Sweden.

51piQHv3fyL._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Every time I see this I get angry, some absolute scum out there, can't offer any advice except rest up mate.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, cheers Al. :) Dont worry about Sweden, im still going, no matter what. I just will not be as fit as I would like.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's been a long time since I was as fit as I would like...

I'm struggling with collapsed arches at the moment. Too much standing around on hard floors in flat footwear wearing Mailleshirts I guess.

Doing lots of exercises like picking pencils off the floor with my toes to strengthen my foot muscles. I have no idea but they might help with you ankles as well?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear about this Dave :sigh: what miserable twisted souls they must have to do this to anyone.
I hope you recover quickly and are back on your feet properly asap.

When the RA hit my ankles it was pretty miserable. I had already tholed injuries there though (tripped over a neolithic clearance boundary :rolleyes: and ripped tendons) and had spoken with a therapist who suggested that the simplest, easiest, and safest exercises were simply to sit down, raise one foot at a time, and draw out the alphabet with my big toe but only using my lower leg to do it.
It sounds terribly simplistic, but it gently eases everything. From odema to sprain to arthritic ache.
He said to do it half a dozen times a day with each foot, and I still do it. I can't say I don't ache, I do, but the joints are mobile :) and even when I've been on my feet all day it eases the whole thing.
Might help ?

atb,
Mary

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ok Thanks Mary, this is good!

So the general consensus seems to be, rather than rest them permanantly, try to use them a bit? Bit of physio. Beginning with my toes. I shall give that a go today. Thankyou.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeh, cheers Al. :) Dont worry about Sweden, im still going, no matter what. I just will not be as fit as I would like.
Might have to drag you in on you boggan, seriously though, hope you can get fit enough, if worst comes to worst I'll drag you :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Trotsky

When my mum had a motorcycle accident last year the physio told her that anything which braces or otherwise holds your joints will weaken them as the muscles there aren't having to do that job. So exercises to try and strengthen the muscles in that area will help to strengthen the joint too. That being said I'm not a medical professional, your doctor should hopefully refer you to a physio who would be best placed to help you. If not I'd just say try to get about as normally as you can, resting up is as bad as doing too much and your body will certainly tell you when you do the latter.
I hope you have a speedy recovery and that the perpetrators catch some sort of incurable necrotic infection in their crotches.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wouldn't go hiking on them, but over the years (how can your ankles ache ? no one expects it, but it's incredibly debilitating) I've found that gently making them move through every range of motion, really does help. It eases the strain, it eases the swelling, it keeps the blood flowing, it keeps the muscles healthy.

Wayland's pencil therapy's a good one too. That works all the little sole muscles as well as the ones in your toes, and the muscles and tendons are happier all round. Playing with a small ball with your feet is supposed to be good too if you're sitting down for a while.

I don't know if the strapping's a good idea or not; I admit when it's bad that I do it though. It is a reassurance somehow that the joint's not going to fold under me, and the pressure feels good somehow.
I suppose we really ought find someone who knows and ask them if it's a good thing or not though.

Best of luck with it all Dave,
M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
In terms of medicine, be a bit wary of codiene if you're having a few drinks over Christmas. Paracetamol and an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen can be taken together and should help. Keep the doses going, don't just take it when it's already hurting. Ibuprofen in particular works best as a course.

Hope all goes well on the 28th, that's a miserable thing to happen.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Try swimming mate to help relax and lightly train the muscles up. I damaged a tendon in my rotator cuff several years ago and it was agony trying to put much weight on it to build muscle and strength back up, but i was recommended swimming as a good low intensity exercise and after a few months of it i really felt a difference. That and plenty of rest helped massively.

Tonyuk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hell's bells, that's rough.

I have say, getting teeth smashed out is my worst nightmare. The rest can heal.

Ankles now - I have experience of ankle injuries. I agree with what has been said here. Don't strap them up (unless the doctor says). Don't walk on them too much. Keep them mobile, pain will tell you if you are going too far. A physio once said to me that body repairs are like darning a sock and if you push it too much you are tearing the darning. Gentle mobility exercises are the way like Toddy says.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Get a wobble board. Quick glance on the internet, do some exercises. I normally do 20 circles in both directions. Take it easy to start with and build up. Certainly seemed to work for me.
Darren

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
It's been a long time since I was as fit as I would like...

I'm struggling with collapsed arches at the moment. Too much standing around on hard floors in flat footwear wearing Mailleshirts I guess.

Doing lots of exercises like picking pencils off the floor with my toes to strengthen my foot muscles. I have no idea but they might help with you ankles as well?

totaly off topic But with you on that one My arches were totaly colapsed hobbled with constant pain endless solpadol pain killers up to 6 a day some days (planters) I got the blue insoles from MSK just over one year ago karimore walking boots + recently added schol gel heelies under the blue insoles now totaly off the pain killers altogether still get a little pain now & again but in compareson almost 100% recovery apologies to OP for going off topic I think its horific what you've been through, you seem to be coping with it well, hope you continue to get back to full health, seek & follow profesional advise is best I can offer... get well soon...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry to hear this. A friend of mine who's still working at the prison was recently (a few days ago) assaulted as well and had injuries to his ankle also. I don't have the details about how they got to his ankles, and it sounds as if most of your injuries were above the waist as you might expect. In his case he's been through surgery yesterday to have a plate and pin screwed in.

Did your ankles start bothering you before or after you were treated? I ask because I was wondering id the doctors had even looked at them? Before I started any self treatment I'd have them checked thoroughly to see if there's any deeper problem that might better be treated by a proper doctor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE