Anarchy in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
hmm this thread has got me thinking...
chav jerkie anyone or maybe someone with the knowlage could try freeze drying hoodies :rolleyes:
in all seriousness though i think the recent weather has given people alittle wake up as to just how vunerable society really is. now if you just mention the word 'snow' people will panic buy. gives the powers that be a spledid way of getting us to part with yet more hard earned. personally should such a collapse happen then i would gather up me and mine and head of for the west coast of scotland or somewhere equally remote. not just because of the improved enviroment but also so i didnt have to deal with the way people would become, id rather not be in a position where getting shot at/attacted or having to shoot at/attack other people just for food and water becomes more likely. grab those dear to you, take what you need and 'go to ground', is what i say.
getting het up and political, imho, isnt necessary. each of us would do what we believe to be right and ,god willing, will ride any bad situation out in relitive comfort
lee

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
I think I would stay local, heading out into unfamiliar landscapes sounds like a recipe for problems.

We keep spares in the house food / water wise, 6 months would be pushing it, but hopefully barring world catastrophe someone would have come and joined us by then with some of the air drops of supplies (within a few weeks). My preparedness is geared to this view, although if food runs out we would be rationing internally the food we had so it would last longer than 'normal' consumption. A lot of my day to day food is long life, so I have big bags of pasta and rice most of the time on top of my 'emergency' store.

Being in the UK I don't go into a personal arsenals, as a quick U Tube search showed a lot of US peeps seem to. I would (and do) rely on hiding my stores of food and water, rather than confrontation and a glock 19. More a squirrel than a angry bear approach from me.

With the ability to chop wood to fuel a fire, and a local wood not far away we hopefully would not freeze should it be winter. Also this is the UK, water falls from the sky drinkable a reasonable amount here, which means in a natural disaster we have the odd advantage over hotter places in staying alive.

So it would take a lot to make me leave my home. Apart from not being the wilderness survival expert I know others here are. From what I can see most of what we make out in the field is no better than the houses we live in day to day. At home I have a strong front door, solid roof, and its warm and dry. Shelter/Safety are key if its going wrong, and unless its collapsed (possible) I would not be looking to bug out if I could avoid it.

I know the area so wont get lost, and there is plenty of wild food flying, hopping, swimming (although I am a hopeless fisherman), crawling, or growing around if you willing to eat it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Being in the UK I don't go into a personal arsenals, as a quick U Tube search showed a lot of US peeps seem to. I would (and do) rely on hiding my stores of food and water, rather than confrontation and a glock 19. More a squirrel than a angry bear approach from me.

There is a middle ground on that, you could be the quiet restrained sleeping Bear , quite capable of retaliation , IF provoked.

Or you could be a really heavily armed Squirrel:).

Joking aside , a SGC may be worth considering for sporting pursuits.

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
Or you could be a really heavily armed Squirrel:)

and thus ends my search for an avatar :)

Although I will stick to my meek roots, and keep hiding rather than risk fighting. Always more bad guys than me, safer to avoid them to start with.

Edit Of course I could see the benefits of a SGC for getting wild food in a survival situation. Spears and snares (we are talking breakdown here, obviously not legal or something one would do if one had a choice) are all very well, but a shotgun would with skill behind it be a very effective way of getting dinner on the table.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I shoot rabbit, squirrel, and doos (pigeon) for food with an air rifle. I check my snares twice a day, and "cajole" my dog to hand over the rabbits he has caught.

I am unemployed at the moment, spend most of what I get on JSA on electricity and blocked up fireplace (gas).

I use my neighbours unsecured wifi to stay in touch on the internet etc...

I am doing what I can to get by.

I hide this from other folks, as the embarrassment if found out, wouldn't help my sanity, I'm a product of the 70's but brought up by Grandparents.

I'm getting by, but it's hard work. Calories expended for calories taken in?..

You WILL get thinner.

Getting meat is no prob, but getting and keeping carbohydrate rich wheat/flour etc is a group effort.

Man cannot survive on bread alone? True.

But you need a number of you, building together, to ensure you can sow and harvest etc..

Civilisation will always take place. Different rules and currency, but it will always take place.. I hope. :)

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
and thus ends my search for an avatar :)

Although I will stick to my meek roots, and keep hiding rather than risk fighting. Always more bad guys than me, safer to avoid them to start with.

Edit Of course I could see the benefits of a SGC for getting wild food in a survival situation. Spears and snares (we are talking breakdown here, obviously not legal or something one would do if one had a choice) are all very well, but a shotgun would with skill behind it be a very effective way of getting dinner on the table.

Lol!! Fair enuff' Nice Avatar

One last attempt from me....

Ever been to Disney World Florida?? Wonderful place , really special , every thing is very nearly , perfect by design.
But upon entering you'll see quite a few stores offer Poncho's and Umbrellas?..

You can say , as perfect as Florida is , generally the weather is great and it makes a beautiful day for all , however its been noted that when the Thunderstorms move in really , really quick and if caught out in the open , you'll get drenched , and so will every one else.

Always better to carry an Umbrella and not need it , rather then be outside with no Brolley shops in sight ( or out of stock ) and find you really , really need it.

And the great thing with Brolleys is if you can find enough like minded people also with brolleys you can create and little dry safe space for you and yours.:)

So the moral of the tale is , if your slightly concerned about the possible weather front and are concerned about the possibilty of getting wet , pack an Umbrella and hope you don't need it, as opposed to packing Hope and finding what you really need is an Umbrella.....

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Has anyone been watching the Survivors on BBC One- I think gives some indication what may happen. More so in Series One than the present one which is getting closer to being an episode of 'Lost' :(

If you have been watching the present series of Survivors watch the original from the 1980's?? and be very depressed as it shows the break down of society.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Has anyone been watching the Survivors on BBC One- I think gives some indication what may happen. More so in Series One than the present one which is getting closer to being an episode of 'Lost' :(

If you have been watching the present series of Survivors watch the original from the 1980's?? and be very depressed as it shows the break down of society.

It has to be one of the worst scripted, acted and directed productions the BBC has made, bloody awful :( Now the original series is a different matter :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hangi roast Chav anyone?
Two problems solved in one hit!
Must be served on plastic plates with Special Brew to wash it all down...

And with chips and ketchup!
happy0009.gif

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
No one ever heard of trade?

If you have a survival cache of tinned goods, batteries, and what have you, it will be looted, on the other hand if you have valuable survival skills they can be traded.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Maximum agricultural production in the UK can support a population of 40 million. (this would take several years to achieve)
We have a population of 60 million plus. Go figure.:pokenest:

Yup, exactly.

And that is maximum MECHANISED production of foodstuffs, so it assumes a supply of fuel.

I read something recently which gave the "true" cost of food as being many times more expensive that what we actually pay (I don't remember now was it 4x, 6x or 8x, but somewhere in that region). It is only because we have machines doing the farming, rather than people/animal power, that we manage to make food so cheap. We currently spend the smallest % of our disposable income on food, since records began. People who say food is expensive, are unfortunately not being altogether realistic.

Anyway, as soon as fuel became scarce, actually costs of food would rocket. As Bushwacker shows, the UK would have no way of supporting its population with domestically produced foodstuffs. The sustainable population limit was already passed in WW2, so it's nothing new.

Ideas of catching enough fish for yourself and family, or hunting deer in the forests, are dreamy solutions which would only delay the end by a few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE