An Extended Adirondack Shelter ( The Wayland Shed )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Never been one for making money out of simple ideas. Consider it public domain.

Making it out of more expensive materials would seem to defeat the object to me. The Poly material sheds snow well, is cheap and potentially disposable.

If I was making a more permanent reusable shelter I would go for a proper Baker Tent but that would be more complex to make and cost a lot more.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It is a nice design.

I think it should be possible to use a hot air gun to weld overlapping seams together. Might make it less reliant on tape in colder temps.

Edit: Only reference can find welding poly tarps...

http://www.dragishak.com/dome/dome.html

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Thank for putting it up Gary, nice idea and easy to do with a poly tarp, you have now got me making paper models to work some new styles for my tarps with all there different sizes. It is always fun to try and figure things out before hand but I do find that when I get into the woods trees do dictate what type of shelter I will put up

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... you have now got me making paper models to work some new styles for my tarps with all there different sizes.

+1 for playing with bits of paper, but beware of 'structural folds', for want of a better expression, there are things which look ok in paper but which don't work when executed in cloth.

I like the Adirondack Wind Shed. It's one of 3 pitches that I use regularly, and Gary's mod has triggered other ideas. I think I might well be taking a light 1.5m square sheet with me next time out.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Having made several paper cuts outs of Wayland's plan I've found it gets quite interesting when you start adding them together.

Update: Just ordered 2x new 18'x12' Green tarps for £6 each delivered! I'm going to have a go at making a double version using two nets.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Interesting design. I wonder how well the amount of flat surface will cope with heavy snow fall. Keep us posted on how well it copes in the snow!

J

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Obviously the flat sections are an issue. In practice, dropping the front flap a bit lessens the problem but there is still a flat section (Labelled Roof.) that is a risk point.

It coped well in the rain, tending to shed over the front side wall but with snow there would be a need to brush snow off from time to time, which tends to be part of my camp routine anyway.

The biggest risk is overnight of course. Time will tell...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE