An experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Of the 50 varieties of wild grape that grow in the world, 20 of them grow in North America. I know of some that are found in Asia, and I presume that the others grow in temperate zones in Europe and Asia. Since I was a wee boy I'd learned from my Dad that if I was ever lost in the woods and was thirsty, then all I had to do was to notch or sever a grape vine and I would get enough water to keep me from dying of thirst. I'd do that when I was back hiking just for the fun of it, or if I was feeling a bit thirsty and hadn't brought a canteen. I grew up in an age when A child was given his first pocket knife at a young age, and I never went anywhere without my trusty "boy scout" knife. Here in the mountain region of central Pennsylvania, wild grape grows eveywhere; to the point where they can sometimes be a pest. I was just behind my house yesterday, when I spotted a thick(4.5 cm) vine hanging from a young oak. Two thoughts crossed my mind; how much water can I actually get from a vine like that, and how good a knife handle wood would a vine that thick make. Went and grabbed my modified Gavilan(of Colombia) 16"machete, my camera and a cut down plastic cider jug. I'd actually done the same thing the day before while out hiking deeper in the Barrens using my Nessmuk, but hadn't brought along any sort of measuring cup.
For some strange reason, the couple of survival books I've read instruct you to sever the vine and allow the water to drip from the hanging portion into whatever container you might have/make. MUCH more water comes from the section of the vine still attached to the roots. Afterall, that's where the water comes from. I sometimes wonder about those books :confused: Anyway, I severed the vine and had the root end stuck in the jug. Was a bit awkward, so I notched the vine a bit lower, so the water would drip into jug without any need for me to fasten the vine. That was at 11:30. I returned at 14:00 and had collected what you see in the cup. The vine was still dripping steadily when I left, and as long as I didn't allow it to "jell" over; I presume it would keep providing a steady source of clean,drinkable water. The taste is not bad....a little woody, and a bit sweet. And cold. Here's some pics:
000_0245.jpg

]
000_0246.jpg

000_0247.jpg

000_0258.jpg

The actual amount, measured on a flat surface, was 2.5 cups; around 650 ml. I also brought home a five foot chunk of the vine, after shaving off the bark with the machete. Cut it into chunks with my bandsaw,and will see what I get out of it as far as a usable knife wood goes.
Bottom line is, you should be able to stay alive and keep from dying of thirst in areas where wild grape does grow....Even if you don't have, or can't make a container; you can still let the water drip into your mouth. It's not like you're going to miss an important appointment by hanging around.

Reactions: tomtom

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
great post Joel, i have never heard of a grape vine being used for this before!

Cheers
TT
(off to look for a greapvine in west wales!)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
joelbolden said:
For some strange reason, the couple of survival books I've read instruct you to sever the vine and allow the water to drip from the hanging portion into whatever container you might have/make. MUCH more water comes from the section of the vine still attached to the roots. Afterall, that's where the water comes from. I sometimes wonder about those books :confused: .

Well ofty Wiseman's book doesn't advise that, indeed it suggests the contrary which is what works with vines over here and is advisable for roots in the desert so I'm told

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
cool, have to try it on my next run in with a vine.
here's a pic with the book way.If you cut a thick and long section of vine[not toxic] the water run's out pretty fast for a quick drink.
131833943.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE