An entirely new knife.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Whilst it is a thing of utter beauty and usefulness - a mark of a classic. I will withdraw my interest in buying one.

I really wouldn't want to part with that much for a knife without a play really.

I would like to add however Red, this is YOUR knife, and whilst it isn't entirely my cup of tea I am completely in awe of the admirable skills of both Stuart (who continues to stun me with what he can produce) and you and the knife you have created between you. I believe there is a benchmark here in what can be created.
This is one of those knives I would hold reverantly, then gently hand back in amazement.

I have learned a lot from people on this forum and BB and it has given me the confidence to know what I want and how to go about getting it. Thanks to all, and in particular here for Red, you've got me thinking. Thank-you for that (it doesn't happen often).

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Thanks Red
glad to have been given the opportunity to make a small contribution to this amazing piece of craftmanship
Enjoy
Chas
:D :D :D :D
Me too

A note of final thanks to Chas Brookes, Weaver and Bushwacker Bob (who has now handled the knife - I would love him to tell you his thoughts)

Red
It is as I have stated before,one of the finest knives I have ever had the pleasure of handling.It has,as has already been noted, the feeling of an English sidelock shotgun.Stuarts Fit and finish are flawless,something I noted of all his knives at the recent knife show.
Despite the obvious exhibition quality of the knife,you only need to hold it in your hand to realise its primary function is a working knife,the ergonomics of the handle ensures it fits the hand perfectly and the blade is only slightly longer and wider than a mora(we actually compared it).The engraving is masterful and does look even better than any photograph shows as it follows the gentle curve of the bolster and the acorns engraved on the pins were a real touch of finesse.
The tooling on the sheath was a work of art in its self and if Stuart were to offer details of the creator, his waiting list would just grow longer and longer!
The hardest decision was who's acorns to use where on the lanyard.It was quite amusing that Weavers acorns looked just like the acorns from a pinate Oak (American Species)whilst Chas's looked like English Oak acorns.

I know what you mean mate, the ironwood looks better in that closeup pic also.
Even better in 'the flesh'.

Knives never look as good in photo's as they do for real, i think id be gob smacked seeing that for real!
I was.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Actually most of my oaks are Chestnut Oaks and Black Oaks which have a nut about the size of the last joint of your thumb. I made this one to the dimensions BR specified. Being 15 mm tall with a 6 mm hole, maybe subconsciously fitting that dimension to a specimen I had seen before.

I am very happy to be a small part of this great project and look to the day I may hold this wonderful knife. Use it in earnest and may you live to wear it out!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks all for your kind words and contributions to this project. I do indeed count myself a very lucky man to own such a piece. As Bushwacker Bob said such proper English (and just a little US ;)) craftsmanship should be seen, handled and made more often.

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Red,
Stunning bit of kit and nice to think that its going to be used. I don't know enough about knives to appreciate the blade design but I do know first class craftsmanship when I see it.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh, christen it on roebuck perhaps?

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
BTW: I would love a BCUK knife. I think we can work something out here. When I'm not studying I'm drawing a lot of knives. Most of them end in the bin, but some make it. I'll think about some designs.

Michiel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The first design is being worked on mate!

Nothing like the PFK though - something very different ;)

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Designing knives is a funny thing. Its like a painting at the start it looks rubbish, you have to imagine the layers going on. You have to watch it evolve!

So thanks to Stu and Red for showing us the evolution of this beautiful knife!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red, can you get a close up of thepins please? I wanna see the acorn engravings!

524931379_7198e01e82_m.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers Red! I got a glimpse in another picture but wanted to see it in a close up. That is really very good, I cannot believe the patience required to do that, and the pressure involved on the artist/engraver. What would they have done if they had cocked it up?!!
Look forward to more pictures, a write up and a quick loan!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE