An entirely new knife.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
British Red said:
Okat Matt,

The leatherworker is a bloke I don't know as it happens - a chap that stu uses (not a member here as far as I know). He sent me some piccs of his work and my reaction was the same of yours - "Wow".

I've wanted to leave the management of this in the hands of stu so, although he asked me if I wanted to use singteck or topknot (since stu knows I love their work) and I must say I was really tempted, it felt like "breaking faith" with stu so I trusted him to use the right people to bring the project off. I have to say he has picked a winner.

There are as you say two subtle differences from the drawing. One is the tip. The reason is that I can't draw! I always wanted a full spear point dropped to the centre line of the blade. It wasn't centred in the drawing and stu corrected it in the steel.
The other is that the bolster is wider than was drawn. Again, a conscious choice. The reasons for that though are still under wraps - all will become clear when the fifth and final craftsman completes the project

Red

I suspected it was the chap that Stuart usually uses.

You're going for engraved bolsters as well? Fancy! Love it!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bushwacker bob said:
Must be a Topknot sheath,then. :rolleyes:
It needs a dingly dangly lanyard with a little acorn on the end. :D
So where does a man procure a couple of "acorns , carved (small) - lanyard creation for the use of" ? ? ?

Red

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
British Red said:
So where does a man procure a couple of "acorns , carved (small) - lanyard creation for the use of" ? ? ?

Red

You need to find some people that work with wood and knives. Dunno where you would find someone like that though.... :confused:

I don't know how asymmetrical you would want them but a woodturner might be a good option as well.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stew said:
You need to find some people that work with wood and knives. Dunno where you would find someone like that though.... :confused:

:D

I was rather hoping a talented soul might offer to send me a couple in exchange for some drinking vouchers! :D

Red

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
:D

Ok

• How small is small
  • What wood - I presume Oak?
  • How many do you want

I'm not committing to make you some but it'll help someone else, I'm sure. I may have a play though....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wasn't angling Stew!

Just a couple of slightly under life size acorns - say about 15mm long with a hole right through about 6mm to feed the lanyard through. Doesn't have to be oak. If anyone does feel able to make some, please let me know via PM so I can make sure I don't end up eith a hundred! :D

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tanks for the offer Weaver and Chas - you are gentlemen both! I reckon thats me well sorted for acorns!

Red

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Just in case you ever need any more wooden acorns Red,I saw some in Woolworths the other day they are made to go on the end of pull string light switches.When i saw them i thought they would make good ferro rod handles but you could use them for lanyard toggles also.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you Weaver.

Bushwacker Bob just dropped round a prototype which is actually 22mm long . Thats not too large so please feel free to go a little larger :eek:

I'm going to be incredibly blessed with acorns so please don't feel obliged anyone!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm really sorry Zam :eek:

I can't believe how kind people have been on this forum and others!

I have to say that if anyone ever tells me again that either craftsmanship is dead or that people are generally mean spirited, I'll call them a liar!

Even a tiny thing like "I'd love to have a lanyard with some acorns on it" has shown me how kind people can be!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bushwacker Bobs prototype lanyard bead.....

486674123_c912b6dcc6.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Timinwales said:
Says it all for me,
Red your a lucky man, absolutely beautiful sheath for a cracking knife.
Cheers Tim
Yes Tim you are absolutley right.

I'd also like to pose a thought here. There have been a huge number of threads on this and other forums about how "over priced" knives are on E-bay (Woodlores etc.) I'm not going to get into money but suffice it to say this knife will cost far, far less than a second hand Alan Wood Woodlore on E-bay. As I said once before, you can price up to a quality or design quality down to a price. I am in awe of the guys who have made this - lets face it, stu and his people - but it proves something. REAL craftsmen still exist. save your money, don't buy a number of inferior products but contact a person who is vouched for (I personally vouch for stu) and then take the time to explain what you want.

British Craftsmen still rule - and for me, given the chance, people like stu can still "move your world".

Red

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
You're absolutely right Red. I bought a blade blank (O1) a few months ago from Toni Oostendorp for €40. It is, imo, far better than a lot of overpriced knives found on ebay. Yesterday I saw someone who tried to sell a Mora for €25. Some people are just nuts!
Real craftmanship and a customer service like Stuarts is what makes me buy good knives. If the customer service isn't good, I won't buy the knife.

Michiel

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Red, that looks almost identical to mine. The old saying "Great minds think alike" still stands true!

I did make these 15 mm, if you like I'll get them off to you. If you have plenty then I'll find a use for them. Actually need to get some other things done anyway, and I can understand wanting to keep the craftsmanship entirely British.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE