An American who appreciates your forum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
First let me say, I like you Brits, Irishmen and the others who post on this forum which is very good. I live in the Northwest corner of the United States about 90 miles south of British Columbia, Canada. I live on five acres of land but am within a few miles of 1000's of acres of national forests. I feel guilty about not being out there every chance I have especially when I read what you people are doing. Your posts and photographs are wonderful and have given me some ideas.

When I see what you are paying for gear, it seems extremely expensive. Also I find it strange that you have to be concerned with the length of a knife blade due to government regulations. Plus I sense that owning a gun is out of the question. I am usually carrying a .22 pistol when prowling the woods. Not that I need it but it's just part of woodcraft here.

Wish I had something useful to add to the forum. Oh by the way, my mother was English. Born and raised in Bradford. I watch "Last of the Summer Wine" every chance I get in order to enjoy the Yorkshire scenery. Is there any place in England or Ireland still so peaceful? Again, just wanted to say hello and thank you for your great posts and useful information. John Lee

So, let me get this right - You own 5 acres of land, live close to thousands of acres of woodland, can carry whatever knife you need, can own / use a .22

I am officially jealous.
Very jealous.

Good on you, welcome to the forum!

EDIT: We have the same surname - any chance we are family and I can visit!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hello and welcome! I really like the North West of the USA. I've got a friend in Tacoma, and have been to Vancouver island too. Such a beautiful part of the world!

ATB

Mike

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I went bear hunting out of Colville a few years back,beautiful country you have there.
We do have some "odd" laws but when it comes to hunting, what we lack in variety we make up for in quantity,no bag limits for us...

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Not in England and Ireland but definitely in Wales and Scotland! :D

welcome john

i grew up very near holmfirth and lived there for a while (summer wine is filmed there) I would have to agree with broch now where better in England except perhaps the lakes and large parts of Scotland are just amazing

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
A BIG welcome to you John.
Remember to come back and tell us about your walks and hunting in them there woods.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Hello from Cumbria John.

I'm looking forward to reading your trip tales, as I always enjoy the reports from BCUKers around the world. What may be a stroll in the back forty to you might be an adventure to us.

Cheers, Michael.

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
Hello and welcome!! i used to be out in't summer wine country every weekend as a child. Now adays i live about 20-25miles away. Still love going over there for a bimble in't hills .. its been said before .... Gods own County!!!!!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi JL, Welcome to the forum mate :). It is rather peaceful in yorkshire this morning i must admit :)

It is a glorious morning in fact..

First let me say, I like you Brits, Irishmen and the others who post on this forum which is very good. I live in the Northwest corner of the United States about 90 miles south of British Columbia, Canada. I live on five acres of land but am within a few miles of 1000's of acres of national forests. I feel guilty about not being out there every chance I have especially when I read what you people are doing. Your posts and photographs are wonderful and have given me some ideas.

When I see what you are paying for gear, it seems extremely expensive. Also I find it strange that you have to be concerned with the length of a knife blade due to government regulations. Plus I sense that owning a gun is out of the question. I am usually carrying a .22 pistol when prowling the woods. Not that I need it but it's just part of woodcraft here.

Wish I had something useful to add to the forum. Oh by the way, my mother was English. Born and raised in Bradford. I watch "Last of the Summer Wine" every chance I get in order to enjoy the Yorkshire scenery. Is there any place in England or Ireland still so peaceful? Again, just wanted to say hello and thank you for your great posts and useful information. John Lee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE