American=British shoe sizes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Anyone know how US shoes sizes compare to British,going to order some boots from the states and i do not know the correct size to order.I take a size 10 British.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it varies a lot depending on the shoe make (at least that is the case with skateing shoes) as a general rule +1 so your 11 (someone want to confirm this for me)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks gents,iam going to order myself some hunting boots as my old hunting boots are just about worn out now.Recently had the good fortune to be asked to help control an absolutely rampant rabbit and pest problem by a farmer not too far from where i live.Huge amount of land both pasture and woodland.Plenty of free meals for me next year i think.And i love eating rabbit too :)

Hopefully i will be able to use the woodland to camp out too,bushcraft style. :)

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
CLEM said:
Thanks gents,iam going to order myself some hunting boots as my old hunting boots are just about worn out now.Recently had the good fortune to be asked to help control an absolutely rampant rabbit and pest problem by a farmer not too far from where i live.Huge amount of land both pasture and woodland.Plenty of free meals for me next year i think.And i love eating rabbit too :)

Hopefully i will be able to use the woodland to camp out too,bushcraft style. :)
Commonly known as "HAPPY DAYS!" in essex :naughty: :biggthump

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I guess this is the closest i will get to living hunter gatherer style.Really looking forward to it i have to admit.Set up camp,harvest a rabbit or two,prepare them,cook and enjoy the meal in my own small wilderness :eek:): .

I've never cooked rabbit out doors on a open fire,so any methods and recipe suggestions would be most welcome.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
CLEM said:
I guess this is the closest i will get to living hunter gatherer style.Really looking forward to it i have to admit.Set up camp,harvest a rabbit or two,prepare them,cook and enjoy the meal in my own small wilderness :eek:): .

I've never cooked rabbit out doors on a open fire,so any methods and recipe suggestions would be most welcome.

wrapped in tinfoil in a parcel 2/3 layers pinched well shut, with a knob of butter and half an orange and the juice of the other half cook on wood mark medium 25 /30 mins check leave longer if needed, oh my mouths waterin thinking about it :naughty: the only way to cook squirrel by the way :)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for that Wolfster. :biggthump

Confused now,one shoe size converter says my British size ten is a US size ten and a half the other says an eleven. :?:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
It is probably advisable that you order a pair that is 1/2 size larger than your actual shoe/boot size and because one site recommended a size 10 1/2 and the other a size 11, if you opt for the size 11, you may not have to worry about having a pair of boots that are too tight for your foot.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
CLEM,

I 've order quite a few things from the States, but I would not order boots; as there seems to be just so much difference between supposedly the same size from different different company's never mind the worry of different sizing systems.

You can get away with a jacket thats not quite right, but a pair of boots not quite right can be a disaster....

What type or style of boot are you after? For deer stalking, I mostly use some Aigle Genet boots.
genetgtx.jpg

These are cordora uppers with leather toe and heel & goretex lined.
They are about 10" but still quite light and the sole is a touch softer than most vibram soles. I have used them for about 3 years now and they are still waterproof. I paid £80 from a gamefair but I have seen them in a couple of yuppie shooting shops for £140. I am busy looking for another pair; I just hope they have not been discontinued!

Regards,

Pete

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for the replys gents.

Pete E iam going to import some gotex lined hunting boots.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
CLEM,

Well good luck and I hope you manage to avoid the import duties...that seems to be a bit hit or miss depending who delivers them this end..

But I am glad you posted because prompted me to get moving on looking for another pair of those Genets and I have just found a place doing them for £89 or the all leather ones for £109...I might wait till after Christmas and see if they are in the sales though! :wink:

Regards,

Pete

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Pete E said:
CLEM,

Well good luck and I hope you manage to avoid the import duties...that seems to be a bit hit or miss depending who delivers them this end..

But I am glad you posted because prompted me to get moving on looking for another pair of those Genets and I have just found a place doing them for £89 or the all leather ones for £109...I might wait till after Christmas and see if they are in the sales though! :wink:

Regards,

Pete
Pete E

I will get my order of this afternoon i think,ive never ordered from the US before but looking at things its possible to make quite a saving.As you say i hope i avoid the import duties.Anyhow i will let you know how i get on.Best of luck with getting your own boots mate. :biggthump

bryanr

Dec 12, 2004
Plano, TX U.S.A.
CLEM,

In case you are interested in Danners, some of the older models are made on a more narrow last than the newer ones. I don't know if you have any width issues with your feet so I thought you might like to know about the last issue, just in case. I have four pair of Danners and my favorite are the Danner Cabela's Elk Hunters: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...er&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

I have the 8" uninsulated because I live in Texas however, they manufacture a 10" with 600 grams of Thinsulate:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...er&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

They are built on the more narrow last as they seem to be a bit more narrow than my Danner Desert Acadias which were made on the newer last. I wear a size 9EE (wide) which is a size 8.5 in the UK or 43 in Europe. I have a really wide foot and very high arch and the lace to the toe boots like the Danners are just about the only ones that fit me well.

Give them a try if you are interested! Good luck!

Bryanr

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks bryanr,those Danners really look the business but they are a little above my budget.There damn fine looking boots though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE