Amateur radio demonstration at the moot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I want to know how radio will work in a location where there's no WiFi or mobile coverage, so the moot seems the ideal place to do field tests.
With that in mind, I'll be setting up a fully legal and Ofcom licenced radio station down at my camping area. I'll also do a one day "Introduction to emergency communications" workshop for anyone who wants to know more, or see what amateur radio can do.
So I'll have an assortment of radios to demonstrate/show people. I'll also have CB and PMR446 sets so unlicenced folks can have a play.
I also believe there will be others at the Naughty Corner with similar setups.
This will, of course be done in a manner that does not impinge on the peace and tranquility of the location.
Any licenced radio amateurs going to the moot, will also be welcome to use my Yaesu 817 all band multi mode transciever. and my UHF/VHF handhelds.

Anyone remotely interested in this?

Eric

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi eric sounds interesting will have to pop over and say hello and have a look at your setup regards dave

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Quite heavy woodland but the coast is only about a mile away so QRP and a dipole might be OK in camp, certainly should be on the coast. Mobile phone on O2 worked for me in 2006 by the loo block.

Last edited:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Quite heavy woodland but the coast is only about a mile away so QRP and a dipole might be OK in camp, certainly should be on the coast. Mobile phone on O2 worked for me in 2006 by the loo block.

I'll have a Yaesu 817 HF rig for DX working. It's an all band all mode portable that goes from 160m up to 10m then 6m and VHF and UHF. I'll also have a 10m all mode rig that chucks out 25w. The antennas will be long wire dipoles slung up in the trees. VHF and UHF antennas will be homebrew dipoles on poles, or over a branch.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
The demo is incidental to bringing all this stuff with me. The main reason is to do extensive field tests under difficult conditions to see what works best and what doesn't.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too am interested - just watching "Where Eagles Dare" at the moment....
Broadsword to Danny boy!
Tell him he's a traitor...
My old CB will be in the van!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE