Am I too Old

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
ssj said:
If you are the oldest one there, you'll probably be the smartest one there! :D
Steve
Seriously doubt that. The ageless thing about this is that the young can teach the old and the Old can teach the young. That is the way it should be. Nothing to to with age but all about experience and skills that can be shared.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Lordy lord...you think 38 is OLD!!!

My first ever bushcraft course type experience was in the company (amongst others) of a much older gentleman who would have a go at anything despite his arthritis and was one of the most encouraging, lovely men I've ever met.

Don't be afraid, you'll be supported and there will be so many others in the same boat as you, all worried about approaching stuff for the first time because of their sex, age, life experience, whatever.

Go for it. :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
You are never too old to have a good time! make every moment count. Wisdom comes with age and 38 is still young! :D :D Best of luck with your course.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
With all the knowledge and advice available on here...I just assumed I was one of the youngest on here, until everyone started giving their ages!

It's all in the mind....in my case 45 is just a number, someone said I've been around for that number of years, but when I look back...I just know they have to be wrong...

Go for it...and have a great time!

Best Regards,

:)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Im 46 years young started at about 5 years still learning and intend gasping me last breath in the open or "up the woods" preferably under a tall beech or oak

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Now then Celtic Ginger! You MUST BE joking!!! 38?!!

Mate you are a kid! I am in my fifties and remaining vague about how far in my fifties I am, a girl, and apart from some experience as a scout when I was 10 and as a hitch-hiking back-packer in my twneties (early 1970s!!!) had no previous experience of camping or rambling or anything like that until only 6 years ago...

I know ONE DOES have cold feet at times during the run-up to a course or some rendez-vous with other people. Do I have the right equipment, am I as fit as they are, as experienced as they are, as young as they are, etc etc etc?

Take the jump mate! We don't always enjoy ourselves doing new things.... or anything for that matter. It is a risk to take that it might be hard at times, not up to our expectations, turn out too expensive, you name it! And outdoors and wilderness courses I find are sometimes too pacy for comfort.

But experience is always a stepping stone.

And on the other hand your course may turn out absolutely fantastic and you may regret having to come back home so soon...you may make friends, learn things you will be eager to perfect later on.....

We do today what we did yesterday. It often feels too much to break the habit. But we can create new habits...and believe me the outdoors is addictive!!

Just a few thoughts...and 38 IS YOUNG!

Give us your news from the course!

Nomade

leon-1

Celt_Ginger said:
Hello. Well, I'm amazed at how many people have responded. Thank you to everyone. I certainly feel inspired. I'm signed up to go to the Woodlore school next May, so I have a bit of time yet to crawl out of the armchair and do something practicle. Any ideas of where to begin?

As kids most of us have built them, so start with shelter, natural, manmade and the reasons for sighting shelters in specific locations.

Also the various styles of shelter working from turf shelters, through debris shelters (kennel and lean-to) and then the shelters made from tarps. Try to stick with what you are likely to use in the main enviroment that you will be working in.

Because it is something that most of us have done as kids it tends to start that warm and fuzzy feeling all over again :D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
too old for bushcraft at 38, you must be joking!!!!!

all but one of the 4 bushcraft instuctors I hold in highest regard are well over 38

try asking Mors if 38 is to old to go bushcrafting! I dont know what his response would be..... but it would be intresting :D
Img_5445.jpg

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i took a woodlore course last year at 36 and i was middle aged for the group
they were from a 15 year old lad to a 54 year lady to a 65 year retired major so get stuck you will love it :)

D

DOC-CANADA

Celt_Ginger said:
Hi.
I have been keen watcher of Bushcraft programs on TV and a reader of books on the subject, but up until now, I have never left my armchair, except to part with cash to buy kit that never gets used outside the garden. I have just signed up to go to a bushcraft school for a weeks training, and I'm getting cold feet. I'm not sure if I will be up to it. I'm 38 years old, andf afraid of looking like a total prat beside , I'm asuming , a lot of much younger people. It may be different if I had practiced some of this stuff before, but I never have. Am I mad to do this? Will I be out of my depth? Am I too old?

Are you too old? Only if you think so. I'm 59 and yesterday and the day before I did 3 hand drill coals and 3 bow drill coals, just to stay in practice. After that, I went hiking and gathered some Cattail (Typha latifolia) to make cordage and collected some forks for making Paiute deadfalls, not to mention learning a couple of new plants. Are you too old? That's up to you!

:) Doc-Canada :)

Condex

Life Member
Jul 19, 2004
Back in BARRY, AFTER 20 yrs in Asia
Hi from Brunei, you think you got problems I am 48+ and it is average 32C here in Brunei. I have to admit that I am not up to the Hash runs through the forest but I do a bit of walking now and again and it is no problem if you pace yourself (well at my age and these temps).
I am sure you will be fine and have a Great Time. You are only as old as you let yourself feel.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Too old my bum, get stuck in and enjoy every minute, where are you going for your week?

I'm knocking on a bit more than you and I still enjoy a course or two a year.

Chris :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Celt_Ginger said:
Hello. Well, I'm amazed at how many people have responded. Thank you to everyone. I certainly feel inspired. I'm signed up to go to the Woodlore school next May, so I have a bit of time yet to crawl out of the armchair and do something practicle. Any ideas of where to begin?

As you noticed, there's lots of folks here who are shocked by your question. :D I think I can see where you are coming from though. Sleeping out on the hard ground can be tough to do if you are not used to it, even with a thermarest. In fact, I think it was right around your age that I switched from an ensolite pad to a thermarest because the ground seemed to be getting harder and harder. :D

The main thing to keep in mind is try not to over do it. You can do a lot of bushcraft right at home in the yard, garage, basement, etc. Wherever you can find a spot. Go on dayhikes. Cook your lunch on a fire. Learn how to make a fire different ways. Learn to identify plants on your hikes. Buy some twine and try twisting it into thicker coradage. Buy a tarp, sleeping bag, and pad, and try an overnighter. Enjoy yourself. Take it easy and avoid frustration. You've got plenty of time... :D

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I hope your not too old. If you are theres no hope for me, Im 53. My lad who is 13 started my interest in bushcraft. Weve both been overnight camping when he goes fishing. At the moment we are collecting equipment, just bought 2 hammocks from MagiKelly and waiting to try them out. Good luck.
Ian.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Crawls to computer over a floor of empty pizza boxes, beer bottles, a semi conscious blonde and my cat crying over his despoiled litter box. I spit something nasty out and gargle with a half empty, flat bottle of beer. I try to read my monitor first with glasses, then without.Oh wait, I have to turn it on, much better. I really need to cut back on friday night partys at 52 :rolleyes: I think Lewis Carroll's YOU ARE OLD FATHER WILLIAM is appropriate here. Can somebody paste it? Falls back down onto floor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE