Alternative to the Sabre 45?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

Craghopper

Hi all,

I've been using a Sabre 45 for a while and have had to finally accept that I'm to tall for the waist strap to work properly :( It's more like a chest strap on me and my shoulders can't take the weight for long periods of time.

So that's going up on the sales forums asap but I'll need a *decent* hard wearing replacement that is as slimline on my back as the Sabre 45... any one know of anything I can get instead?

Much appreciated

CH

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
You could try the Dutch patrol pack at Endicotts. I forget the model but it's 40 litres and made by Lowe Alpine. Looks decent and accepts side pouches.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got the 44ltr highlander, and if the sabre is to small, then the highlander will be, its to small on me, but a sabre fits well.

Rob

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I like my Sabre 45 - but I have to agree that on me (6 ft) the waist strap also doesn't really bear any of the weight.

Have you looked at Deuter bags? I have a 65 + 15 (I think) Deuter Aircontact sack and the back system is superb. They do thr same back system on small capacity sacks also. They cost more, but are superb.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi all,

I've been using a Sabre 45 for a while and have had to finally accept that I'm to tall for the waist strap to work properly :( It's more like a chest strap on me and my shoulders can't take the weight for long periods of time.

So that's going up on the sales forums asap but I'll need a *decent* hard wearing replacement that is as slimline on my back as the Sabre 45... any one know of anything I can get instead?

Much appreciated

CH

Give us the specification you want/need and you should have loads of recommendations. What is it you seek in a pack?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
May I suggest the Lowe Alpine Sting (DPM, for sale in Endicotts. 55 ltres - see members review section on Sting Review) - it has an adjustable back system so you should be able to make it fit you.

C

Craghopper

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in replying, been playing in the snow :)

So I checked out all the bags you guys recomended and think I've found a suitable replacement. Thoughts below:

* lowe alpine sabre 35 - not enough space for a weekend away with my gear.
* Highlander 44 - same height problem as the Sabre 45. Nice prices though, might get a smaller day sack from them.
* 65 + 15 Deuter Aircontact sack - already have a Berghaus C7 Bioflex with same volume.

Dutch patrol pack/Lowe Alpine Sting (same thing?) - Looks nice and am loving the adjustable back system on the Sting. My only concern is that 55 ltr is a little too much for my needs. However I think I may get this one as it'll almost def fit me and looks hard wearing to boot!

I noticed this bag as well, any one ever use one? It's cheaper than the Sting by a few quid...

http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Back_Pack...t_Pack_Packs/OMM_The_Villain_45_10RL_MSC.html

@ big_swede - I need a 3 day bag to take a 2 person ultralite pro tent, Wee Airic, PD400, Snugpak pillow, Pocket Rocket & gas & crusader, medikit, tinderbox, machete, Small Forest Axe, Digi SLR and some food (bacon, flour, mixed nuts/berries, cous cous). I might replace the tent with a tarp and Snugpack stratosphere if space requires me to do so but would rather not.

Thanks again guys, your thoughts and advice appreciated as always!

CH

Last edited by a moderator:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hey all,

Dutch patrol pack/Lowe Alpine Sting (same thing?) - Looks nice and am loving the adjustable back system on the Sting. My only concern is that 55 ltr is a little too much for my needs. However I think I may get this one as it'll almost def fit me and looks hard wearing to boot!

CH

Yes its the same thing. 55lts too much? If you have got it you'll fill it ;)
By the sounds of what you are taking it sounds that a 50ltr is around the right size. TBH I would not quibble about the odd 10ltres unless you are a fast 'n light nutter. If that was the case I would be recommending a fixed back system sack - they usually come in a bit lighter.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
@ big_swede - I need a 3 day bag to take a 2 person ultralite pro tent, Wee Airic, PD400, Snugpak pillow, Pocket Rocket & gas & crusader, medikit, tinderbox, machete, Small Forest Axe, Digi SLR and some food (bacon, flour, mixed nuts/berries, cous cous). I might replace the tent with a tarp and Snugpack stratosphere if space requires me to do so but would rather not.

Thanks again guys, your thoughts and advice appreciated as always!

CH

See my review of Vapour trail from Granite Gear in the review section.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I'd recommend the Lowe Alpine Crag Attack it's a great pack but I'm not sure if it would fit you maybe you should try it on in a shop because they're fairly cheap!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yes its the same thing. 55lts too much? If you have got it you'll fill it ;)
By the sounds of what you are taking it sounds that a 50ltr is around the right size. TBH I would not quibble about the odd 10ltres unless you are a fast 'n light nutter. If that was the case I would be recommending a fixed back system sack - they usually come in a bit lighter.

No, it's not :p

The Sting (or it's twin brother Stingray) is a 55 liter rucksack and the all arms bergen for the dutch army. If you add the sidepouches (10ltr each) you'll get a 75 ltr pack.

The Strike is a smaller pack: 40 ltr and can be seen as a patrol pack. It's used as such by dutch SF & Air Manoeuvre Brigade. If you add the sidepouches (10 ltr each) you'll get a 60 ltr pack.
Downside is its carrying system, which isn't adjustable to the length of your back. Same goes for the aforementioned Lowe Alpine Sabre.
The Sting(ray) can adjusted.

Old army patrol packs have a capacity of about 30ltr, but are useless IMO as they are shaped to flat.

Another vote for the Sting from me.

;)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Hi all,

Much appreciated

CH

With all this in mind I would have to say that I did a similar questions two years ago, and it was a long journey. I sold a Sabre 45 as I thought it too short - then I bought another after reading all the thoughts _it can't be that bad can it? So I ended up selling the second.

I looked at the Kifaru Zulu which is comparable in size - but went for the Zulu extreme (ZXR) again, selling it because it wasn't quite right for me.

I now have an Express, in black with E&E and long pouches and I love it. I used the main bag to walk the whole family swimming when the roads were impassable and it swallowed all the gear and fod and drinks and then a little shopping on the way home. It fits my -17 goose down sleeping bag and with all the extra pockets I can go out for 3 or 4 days.

It has by far the best back system on any bag this size without any real comparison so overlaoding it is no issue.

The drawback - you can get about 5 Sabre 45s for the same price after tax and import duty, but I won't part with mine. I'm just saving for my 4 year old son as he wants one too......

Back system:

DSCF8859.jpg

With side pouches and E&E mini pack (and setter for scale):

DSCF8860.jpg

View from the top showing top pouch and E&E fit:

DSCF8861.jpg

Without E&E showing the map pocket - takes laminated OS and more:

DSCF8862.jpg

Express alone, as it's mostly used for family days out and winter day walks:

DSCF8863.jpg

Under lid pocket, the bag has three sleep bags and a softy type jacket in here

DSCF8864.jpg

E&E

DSCF8865.jpg

DSCF8867.jpg

Showing pouches and rather large hooded fleece fit inside

Hope this helps - I know it's a LOT of money, but I spent loads getting here and never being happy.

and yes, it comes in Olive Green

http://www.kifaru.net/MGexpress.htm

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
I am fairly tall too, and have always had problems with the waist-chest straps being in the wrong place.

I know its expensive but I really rate my Camelbak Motherlode, 35litres + 3l water tons of compartments and fully molle compatatible so you can keep adding and keep adding, I find I can get everything in for a full winter long day out, or a light summer overnighter.

A really well thought out and bullet proof option in my opinion.

http://www.camelbak.com/government-military/hydration-packs/motherlode.aspx

Last edited:

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Sting gets my vote, and still only £85 from Cotswold :cool: (if you order one, as no stores seem to have it in stock!) Love the adjustable back more than my Sabre 45 (just replaced by PRI after what "looked" like a strap was parting company from pack, not sure if it ever would have but they replaced - no quibble with their excellent after sales service:D)

Sting gets my vote, and still only £85 from Cotswold :cool: (if you order one, as no stores seem to have it in stock!) Love the adjustable back more than my Sabre 45 (just replaced by PRI after what "looked" like a strap was parting company from pack, not sure if it ever would have but they replaced - no quibble with their excellent after sales service:D)

is ist still avalible couldnt see it on the website after christmas

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE