Altberg "MOD Regulation" Brown boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've ponied up for Altbergs but they're not as good as my Lowas at the same price point.
For me boots are black. End of.

I think that's down to personal choice and fit Lurch. I've tried both and for me Altberg jump up and down all over Lowa. Ask a squaddie and it'll be a 50/50 split over Lowa or Altberg.

BTW Lowa bid for, but failed to win the MOD contract! Tells you something.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Actually I find the fit to be similar, which I put down to the shared Vibram soles.
My first pair of Altbergs split the leather near the sole way before they should have done, I found the response from the factory to be meh. That and the horrible Skywalk soles made me swear to never buy another pair, but I've given them another go purely to support a UK manufacturer.
I hated my Lowas when I first got them, now they are firmly worn in I am much happier with them and the build standard is higher than the Altberg.
All that the MOD contract tells me is that Lowa were too expensive!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Can you not get your employer to let you chip in the extra? if its ppe they should allow you to do this and pay the rest not including the VAT, we do it for our guys!

I do chip in the extra! These boots cost more than £50.00 these days! I have only gone for the basic CEN patrol boots this year. In the past I have gone for the higher up the range models but did not have the spare cash this year.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Nice, but sadly my budget will not stretch to that kind of boot. I make do with the Hi-Tec Magnum boots that I get for work. My employers give me £50 a year towards footwear so I just use last years hardly worn boots for gading about on the brown or grassy stuff.

I like Magnums, £30 off eBay bargain! Comfy too!

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
It's true you can buy high priced ones. I brought some for about a ton, they were spider HPI's or something and they were awful I wore them a couple of times and sold them at a massive loss they were that bad. Standard army magnums in black or tan are fine. I go for an 11w and they fit really well where as a normal 11 is a little tight at the end of a day.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Top end Magnums are about £180 :confused:

I do think that's bonkers considering Magnums are far from "top end". You could realistically have anything for that money boots wise if you shopped around. I agree that you can get more expensive boots but arguably you probably would be going beyond Gucci at that point in my opinion. I think sometimes things are made for really high amounts of money because the companies know someone will assume its top spec kit because it's massive expensive.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I think these new ones look great :) Will they be gore tex tho? I have the AB style gore tex boots at the mo and while they are as water proof as wellies they are heavy as a heavy thing.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I think these new ones look great :) Will they be gore tex tho? I have the AB style gore tex boots at the mo and while they are as water proof as wellies they are heavy as a heavy thing.

Altberg use sympatex instead of goretex (same thing different brand name). Not all Altbergs (or Lowas) are waterproof though. The waterproof version is usually about £10 more (Edit!).

Personally I steer away from waterproof boots simply because they are great for dry feet until they get wet over the top and then they take 5 times longer to dry out.

Last edited:

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Altberg use sympatex instead of goretex (same thing different brand name). Not all Altbergs (or Lowas) are waterproof though. The waterproof version is usually about £10.

Bargain. I'll get some ;)

I think I know what you mean about the drying out. When I was washing the outer of my boots after exposing them to lots of sea water some water from the tap went in the boot and about three days later the inside was still damp but after wearing them on a walk for a couple of hours (in the rain) I noticed when I had gotten home they were dry inside, or at least my socks were.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Personally I steer away from waterproof boots simply because they are great for dry feet until they get wet over the top and then they take 5 times longer to dry out.

The same reason I opt out Gore-tex boots and instead choose full-grain leather ones. Maybe another reason Lowa offers some of its models without the Gore-tex lining

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE