Lifejacket.. which glue to use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi before I say anything, it's a lifejacket for display purposes only, before I get lots of people saying "buy a new one" or "don't risk it" can I just confirm that it definitely WILL NOT BE USED for lifesaving purposes.(I don't even have or want a boat!)

I found the Lifejacket years ago in a carboot sale and though it would be nice to go with my NATO survival kit collection.
I realised just by it's design that it was old and British forces issue, but dubious it would work ever again. Anyhow, I liked the look as it has a few odd bit's like a roll down clear face visor, I knew it was MoD issue, but even after speaking to veterans from the RAF, Royal Navy and British Army, no one could quite place it's probable origin...untill I saw this photo:

6c4a74eeb662aab17e48f0c8615b018c.jpg

British soldiers in the falklands conflict escaping the sinking Sir Galahad in the distance, the guy on the left is wearing the same lifejacket (plus another 2 or 3 in the boats) the 3 dark patches are velcro to hold the clear visor in place.

the Date of manufacture on the lifejacket is 11/79, the Falklands conflict was only a few years later so it's possible my lifejacket was actually being used by someone in the photo!
it can be inflated and it does still hold air, the glue on the attatchments like straps to hold the inflation tube and white popper patch (just visible below the guys chin) is failing.
The origonal glue has dried but appears to be brown though the colour may be due to the advanced age.

so, what I'm after is glue that won't destroy the fabric further, but will hold the loose patches in place.

As a rough guess I'm going to assume rubber glue as found in cycle repair kits may do the job, but is there something flexible that would be better for the job, perhaps copydex(latex), or silicon?

as I say it won't be used for real only for display purposes.

Last edited:

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
McNett Seamsure will be your friend :)

Got a couple of similar hanging around somewhere, must have a search at some point.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
*~don't * use the stuff from bike patch repair kits, that is actually a solvent, it will damage the lifejacket.
Try what is suggested above, or shoegoo

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The guys are wearing a General Service Life Jacket (GSLJ). These were issued to individuals on joining a ship. They were contained in a blue waist pouch and were an absolute b*&^h to get back in once you'd done your monthly test (inflating it and leaving it on your bunk for an hour or so). They were fitted over the head when needed then manually inflated via the mouthpiece. There was also the hazardous duty life jacket (HDLJ) which was worn when in a sea boat, on deck when the guard rails were down etc. These where worn over the head on the chest in a green (old style) or blue (more modern) stole to protect the actual lifejacket from oils, greases, snags etc. They were essentially the same lifejacket except the HDLJ was automatically inflated on entering the water. If you want to post a few more pics of it I may be able to offer some further guidance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE