Alpkit Hunka bivvy bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Judging by the rest of alpkits gear that I own, I have found their products to be great value for money. Is this the case with the Hunka. Or am I better off spending my money elsewhere?

Cheers

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Have both the regular and now the XL- for the money I can't rate them highly enough.. my down bags (both from Alpkit too) don't go anywhere without them.. the XL is worth the extra for down bags so that they don't lose too much loft.

Usual disclaimers about not working for Alpkit etc.. just an extremely happy customer.. I have loads of their stuff and never been disappointed.

All the best,

KP

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Alpkits stuff is generally really good. I have one but haven't had a need to use it yet. I'm doing an ultralight overnighter shortly where I'll be sleeping in it and will report then.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
I did a search before posting but I had obviously missed that review.
Well I don't have a down bag and I'm similar in build to a rake so I can't see the size being too much of an issue. But out of interest would a sleeping mat be able to fit inside?

Would be good to hear your report jonno, though I need to get one within 6 weeks.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I think you'd struggle to get a mat in the smaller one (depends on the mat, obviously)

6 weeks??!! ... that means Me and Stewart only have 5 !! :D

If you want to try one of the smaller ones, PM me your addy and I'll lend you mine to have a look at ;)

Steve

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
To suggest an alternative, I have a Rab Storm bivvy. A good size, the bottom is a tougher material, and I prefer the opening (YMMV). You wouldn't get much kit in the bottom, though it fits my ridge-rest mat nicely.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Thats one of the slight issues I have with the hunka, the toploading entry. But as usual its weighing up the pros and cons.
Bikething - Yes only 5 weeks for you, it will soon be upon us. I will have a think and let you know in the next couple of days.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Yeah, in retrospect, the top loading is a bit of a pain, but as with everything, it's all about compromise. The XL version does make things easier for getting in and out though!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The XL version is out of stock till next month!
sad0068.gif

EDIT: Coincidentally, I've just received an email from Alpkit to say that they've just got their stock of standard, and XL in!
happy0034.gif

A good feature of Alpkit's website is that if what your interested in is out of stock, they'll email you when it arrives.
happy0054.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE