Alpkit Goose sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi guys -Need to get an ALPKIT winter sleeping bag, have been told lots of good things about these. Im 6ft 2 inches and Ive got an idea they are gona do a long bag in new year any body know anything about these longer bags.
Also im used to a fairly roomy bag (dont want to be mumified) do these fit that bill.?
Any advice greatfully recieved
Thanks Hyfan:)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a long AlpineDream 500. I think they were done as part of the CoLab trials. The short and long versions used the same fill but were a little shorter and a little longer than standard and consequently a little warmer and a little colder respectively.

I'm 6ft1 and about 17 stone, so not huge but wanted a bit of extra room. I don't find the bag restrictive, in fact I really like it. I'm sure the new Skye bags will be good.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi.
I've heard that Alpkit are bringing out a long version too although I can't confirm this (you could email or ring them) I have a Pipedream 600 and it is just on the edge of being tight, I'm 6'1 and I am not skinny anymore! I love the bag for it's compactness and warmth. Not been cold in it yet ( - 4 so far ) No problems with length either.

If the new ones are any bigger than the existing IMO you will have a comfortable item.

Hope this helps.

Swyn.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not certain on the Alpkit stuff, but do please note that a lot of the higher loft goose downs (900-950) are harvested in some fairly chilling ways from live birds. Lower loft (600-650) are more generally harvested from dead (food killed) birds.

Entirely your call - just pointing it out if you weren't aware of the issue

Red

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Not certain on the Alpkit stuff, but do please note that a lot of the higher loft goose downs (900-950) are harvested in some fairly chilling ways from live birds. Lower loft (600-650) are more generally harvested from dead (food killed) birds.

Entirely your call - just pointing it out if you weren't aware of the issue

Red

Oooo spooky Red :( ....any more info ..???

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suspect this isn't the place to discuss it - each to their own compass as it were. I didn't realise how much goose and duck down is produced and was glad someone told me - I don't own any now.

However far be it from me to tell others what to buy or not buy

If anyone wants info - heres a place to start

http://www.upc-online.org/livepluc.html

Sadly its still happening (although many countries have thankfully banned the practice)

My apologies for the thread hi-jack

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have kept what I bought before I discovered this - Toddy brought it to my attention, but I don't buy it any more.

Down does outperform synthetic, but nowadays it's catching up. It would be better to get a synthetic in this country anyway, we washed my wife's down jacket the other day and it took 3 hours in the tumble dryer with a tennis ball to bring it back to life.

Keep an eye on this place too.

http://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/index_files/page0008.htm

Sorry for the further hijack.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Red, I didn't know that. I was also looking at the down bags as a replacement for my synthetic 'Ajunrak' (spelling) That has put me right off.....better not tell my sister who loves her Blacks down bag and is a veggie!!!!
Only skim read the article but I presume some suppliers of down use less cruel methods!!?!
May fire off some emails and do some digging Dave
Emailed Alpkit to see where there down is sourced

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Red, don't under stand the significance of live plucking?
I guess it is to get more product......can't look at my fav down jacket in the same light!
TA D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dave - I really don't want to gross people out or come over all preachy at others so I'll take this to PM

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just a quick follow up.....I still haven't heard back from Alpkit about the source of their down.
Only been four days but I would have thought a quick reply would have been nice.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta Aliwren, think we will leave it there as obviously some strong opinions on this topic.
Will only update this if I hear from them.I love their kit and prices so we will have to see.
Dave

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Refreshing to see that this didn't descend into raving heaven :D Good approach, find out if you're comfortable with how the bags are filled and make your choice. There's no reason that people can't give their opinions on the performance of the products which is what the thread was about. Red, well handled, pointing out a consideration but not letting it run away, appreciated;)

I know that Alpkit produce some great kit for the price and i don't think there will be any doubt as to value for money when measured against cost v performance. In this world where we can make conscientious decisions that's not always the prime factor though which is great as it's better to have choice. It will be good to hear people's opinions on the performance.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
NOT all down are made that way. The ones made in Europe are not (and Poland is one of the bigger suppliers of down).

It would be equally generalizing to say that all pigs are kept in tiny areas where they can't move at all. Sure SOME farmers does it that way, but far from it.

Besides the information came from PETA, they are basicly just terrorists with an alternative agenda.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Mikkel, I dont think it was suggested all down bags are made in that way just some.
Anyway I think that it has been enough of a hijack from the original question which I am also guilty of too. So if anyone wants to know what comes of my 'digging' pm me.
Tony fully agree Alpkit has some great stuff and great prices (v important to me but not necessarily the deciding factor) shame that I have been waiting an entire lifetime for one of those darn kip mats! Wish the kept more stock, shows their popularity though.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE