Mummy shaped Sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I do love a warm sleeping and don’t care about it’s weight but recently my Alpkit skyhigh 800 like all others makes Rab etc, except for military issue I feel trapped in them legs can’t move which wakes me up. I know they are designed to be snug but nowadays just too snug, I feel trapped in them. I am glad I have my old faithful issue 90 pattern bag, my arctic and centre zip snugpak to still enjoy the outdoors. I like a bit of turning room, bulky but comfortable.
Camping out less these days but still enjoy when I can.

How do you all manage with tight sleeping bags or what’s your alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I turn with the sleeping bag and bivvy bag from the left side to the right and back. (Sleeping mat under the bivvy bag.)
Nevertheless I prefere a wider fit.

The Snugpak Special Forces sleeping bags 1 and 2 and SF bivvy bag are constructed to wear also military boots in it if necessary. There is enough space although they have a mummy shape.

I think Carinthia Tropen too but surely Defence 4 and 6 have a similar cut, I think they are even wider than Snugpak SF bags. A soldier simply needs to leave the boots somewhere in frosty weather and Tropen and Defence 4 are standard issue in a lot of armies, the Austrian and German army for example.

I have seen pretty weird civil sleeping bags also a few decades ago. But if you are right and they become tighter and tighter the reason could be that we have an "ultralight trekking" wave because most European clients work in offices and simply became pretty weak and otherwise people nowadays seem to buy in internet shops, looking at the weight, instead of trying it on in a real shop.
Sended in the last minute before people leave for holydays the stuff is sold and the clients seem to be glad with the product.

But if you want a European made factory new quality sleeping bag with polyester filling you need to buy a Snugpak, Carinthia or Norwegian Isbjorn anyway if you don't try to get one of the few little last French makers.
Who is interested in a quality product gets offered a wide fit too.

May be that a few American mountaineering down bag makers have a rather tight fit although that's quality stuff without any doubt. In dry cold conditions and in steep terrain that might be sensible.

My equipment is comfortable to use and comfortable to carry. I don't need to shorten the handle of my toothbrush.
Nevertheless I can carry it all without any problems because nowadays also very practical equipment became very very light.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’am a bit of a lump and hate to feel constricted so I know exactly what you feel. However I am getting used to it. Snugpack plus expanda panel and I can manage it, DEFINITELY have to have the expanda panel mind.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For the Snugpak SF bags te expanda panel isn't needed. They are really wide enough.
If you want to connect them you need the adapter though which adds a few centimetres of width.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
For the Snugpak SF bags te expanda panel isn't needed. They are really wide enough.
If you want to connect them you need the adapter though which adds a few centimetres of width.
I’am not massively tall by today’s standards at six feet but I am bulky, 50 inch chest with the correspondingly wide shoulders as you’d expect and thick arms and the expanda panel has made my bag simply not usable to pretty doable. It’s not the SF Snugpack mind.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Should you come along one try out the Carinthia Defence 4!
It exists in several sizes and the cut is relatively wide.
In this modular system the summer sleeping bag Tropen goes into the Defence 4. Also the Defence 1 is relatively wide, it's a summer bag.

Reactions: MikeeMiracle

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Should you come along one try out the Carinthia Defence 4!
It exists in several sizes and the cut is relatively wide.
In this modular system the summer sleeping bag Tropen goes into the Defence 4. Also the Defence 1 is relatively wide, it's a summer bag.
I would very much like to try the Defence 4, have done for ages now.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Kifaru in the U.S. used to do a synthetic filled sleeping bag that offered more 'leg room'. I still have mine from years ago and it does result in me enjoying a comfortable, more 'natural' night's sleep. They might still do them; if so, they might be worth a look.

Reactions: Erbswurst and CLEM

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
I'm not the widest but do like to be able to turn. My current bag is 220, 85, 50. The shoulder width is the first spec I look for. Anything less than 80 is immediately discarded. Had a couple of Artic 90's but now ease of movement of the bag around the tarp is important so now 1.5kg is the max

Reactions: Laurence Milton

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I'm the opposite Mike, I like the bag to turn with me, especially if I have the hood done up, so the more snug fit of a mummy bag suits me fine.
Your lucky, I just can’t, wish I could but it wakes me up if I turn and the bag catches or sticks. Then I struggle to find the zip.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Was lucky enough to pick up a Defence 4 bag for cheap and I can never go back to a regular mummy bag, they are just too restrictive and I can't sleep in them. The large footwell means I put my top in the footwell when I go to sleep so when I wake up I can put on a warm top straight away.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I have a Snugpak sleeper X-treme which suits my purposes & being what they called in the 80s, medium build, there is room for 2 of me in there (alright then, 1 3/4 ;)) So plenty of wriggle room & when I turn or manouvre into the foetal position, the bag stays put. Generous hood too so it follows my head without effecting the main body.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Plus one for Carinthia, I also get very claustrophobic inside a sleeping bag but there's plenty of room in my Defence 1.

Robin1

Jan 26, 2015
Hertfordshire
You should maybe look into the carp fishing sleeping bags ! I’ve used one for years. Big and roomy and plenty warm enough and fits in a issue Bivvy bag nicely. Plenty on flea bay second hand.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Don’t sleep out as much as I used. So don’t might the extra bit of weight of an issue bag. Not going to buy any more ( I hope ☺️)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, what's currently issued to European NATO armies is in my opinion the best of the best one can get.
Soldiers tend to snap about the issued stuff, as it's part of the job to criticise it to achieve further development what's of course necessary.
But usually the current military equipment is far better than anything else on the civil market.
Even my Wehrmacht equipment is still fine.

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have a pre 'mummy' cut four season down filled bag that I purchased when I started travelling in Oz in 1991, still used in the colder months. I am also one who hates the confines of a mummy cut. My Alpkit Pipedream 600 is a mummy cut but I unzip the foot end and simply stick my feet out but this is a PIA although I have got used to doing the wriggling. The Bl88dy zip doesn't go all the way to the bottom mind, hence the wriggling ;-)
I have a feeling some of the high end bags have a 'boot bucket' or have the facility to fit such a thing. Perhaps you could investigate to see if this provides your feet with a little more space? Another thought is to look at 'long' bags, unless you are very tall to start with.
Finally, if you are aged 30 then try for a custom made bag with all the personal 'imporvements' and YKK zips as standard. Worth a try particularly with a reputable company.
S

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Can’t stand my DD Jura 2, the foot box is to heavy & restrictive on my feet & I find the whole bag to constricting.( I like to fidget).

So, I find the Corinthia defence 4 has more freedom to move.
I also unzip the center & turn it around like a quilt with my feet inside the foot box.
I’m 13.5 stone & 5’10” which I find may help you.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE