Alpkit Gamma Headtorch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
My only reservation for these is the "over the head" strap - are they wearable with just the side straps, or do you need all three?

For some reason I just don't get on with wearing the extra strap over the top :(

you can remove the centre strap it clips off, IMO it's only worth having if you intend running whilst wearing it. mine almost got through the letter box before the top strap was pulled off :p

C

Craghopper

If anyones interested the new stock of Gammas should be available to order from AK in a week or two, spoke to one of the team yesterday about it ;)

No affiliate, just have it on my 'to buy' list like you guys!

CH

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Don't want to open any pandora type boxes, but I'm a big fan of all things Alpkit and used (and raved on about) their headtorch endlessly, but in December I was doing a cold wet overnighter and the beam just seemed to dim. The guys I was with had head torches bought at their local garages but they vastly outperformed the Gamma and in the end I was reduced to carrying my Tesco backup head torch instead. I did change the batteries with no effect but have not had the chance since to experiment since then.

Just thought I'd mention it, and for a tldr; I'm not saying they're not good, just thought I'd point out an experience.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Interesting. Have you contacted them to try sending it back? They seem to have pretty good customer service. I've got two gammas - not had any problems so far...

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
jonnno, might be worth getting in touch with Alpkit directly and see if there is anything they can do to fix your torch?

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Yeah, that's why I was very tentative with my wording - don't want to cause any unnecessary fuss until I've done a good home test - could be something like the 'new batteries' I put in might have been pooh! Just thought I'd mention it incase it rung any bells.

It's also a good example of why a backup of some sort for the most important gear is always good. I had a Tesco head torch (they're very good for £11) and I'd lost the head strap so I just bunged it in my FAK. Was bloody glad as a wet, foggy forest at night in winter is no place for a timid man with no light :)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
A mate had a similar problem, I believe he had inadvertently been using it at the low power setting. Hope you fix it as they are very handy items.

Richard

Don't want to open any pandora type boxes, but I'm a big fan of all things Alpkit and used (and raved on about) their headtorch endlessly, but in December I was doing a cold wet overnighter and the beam just seemed to dim. The guys I was with had head torches bought at their local garages but they vastly outperformed the Gamma and in the end I was reduced to carrying my Tesco backup head torch instead. I did change the batteries with no effect but have not had the chance since to experiment since then.

Just thought I'd mention it, and for a tldr; I'm not saying they're not good, just thought I'd point out an experience.

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

Check this out,absolutely the best headtorch ive tried up too now -1 watt main led high low output,3 small led's in white (i find this ample for reading/bimbling around camp) red & green all modes can be strobed.Theres even a red rear strip light on the back of the battery box so others can keep tabs on you if in a group.

Came highly recommended from a few outdoorsey types i know. Its even better when it costs only £15 delivered with 3 duracell batteries as well !! :D

The only gripe is it can only run on alkaline 1.5v cells (rechargable no use as only 1.2volt & lithium not recommended as discharge rate too high) but i can live with that as above users state excellent battery life even after numerous bursts with the main 1 watt beam on high.

Deffo worth a gander if only for backup/spare although its my main torch now.

I have just checked mine with 3 x 7dayshop rechargeables and it works fine in all modes. The alpkit advert says you should not use lithium but i would say normal NiMH will be fine.
(this is of course my opinion and you should draw your own conclusions)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ai, mine came on Saturday gone - so easy to use, figured out how switch between modes (did wonder at lack of included instructions and didn't realise they were on the website :D )

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice one - thanks for the heads-up, just ordered the "lava" one. For £12.50 delivered you can't go far wrong.

That's a £2.50 price drop!

Everyone needs one of these. I don't think I'd go caving or mountaineering with one, but it's incredibly useful. I just lent mine to the plumber when the boiler broke and he's a convert from his sputtering candle-like Mini mag that he has to hold. Utterly brilliant value.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I received one this week and I've been very impressed. Very surprised at the size: much smaller than I expected and sends out a good amount of light. Dead good!

Got lots of other lovely stuff from Alpkit as well. I will be using them again.

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE