Allotment and stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thrift is often the mother of invention...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76789218@N03/sets/72157629383002762/

Shows the irrigation set up I made up from bits of plumbing materials I had bought or acquired.

Looks great!!!
Alas I've only got a couple of small barrels here scrounged.... Like the look of the tanks!!!
I've got a hose and were not on a meter but I don't like to be wasteful of water and I believe it's better too!!
What was the compressor doing?
I'm only on my phone here so a bit small in the picture!!!
bezusa2y.jpg

Planting a few free seeds after work... I've not got masses of room so only a few seeds planted....
To do list 1 Build a strawberry bed
Got some pallets to do this but need to clear some more ground.
2 Sort other water butt from the other side of greenhouse roof... got to empty the butt first as its has water in it from the hose and I'm NOT gonna waste it.
That is all.. 😄d

xylaria

I like the sticks labels, I going to try that. Every year the homemade plastic labels and lollypop sticks get pulled out or go missing, this year I saw a magpie flying off with one. I am now getting a good idea which squash plant is what, but I have a hundredwieght growing over the path to the stream, because I thought it was a patti pan. My water barrel at the top of the garden ran dry at the weekend, is now half full thanks to last nights torrental rain.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I like the sticks labels, I going to try that. Every year the homemade plastic labels and lollypop sticks get pulled out or go missing, this year I saw a magpie flying off with one. I am now getting a good idea which squash plant is what, but I have a hundredwieght growing over the path to the stream, because I thought it was a patti pan. My water barrel at the top of the garden ran dry at the weekend, is now half full thanks to last nights torrental rain.

😄 The labels were due to me forgetting to buy some !!!
You just need to carve the point to a chisel to stay in the slots on the the pots scrape a bit of bark off and Roberts your fathers brother d

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok guys this is probably not the ideal forum to post questions like this but there are so many on here with great knowledge I thought I'd ask!!
Below are some pictures of a badly neglected pear tree ( I believe) that I want to know what to do with !
4a4a6u2a.jpg

uha7azyj.jpg

7upa5a4a.jpg

It's pretty darn massive with most of the growth higher than the second floor window!!
I don't want to lose it as birds love it but there are signs of decay.... I've cut a load of ivy off it and it is fruiting so there is life in her.
Many thanks d

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
pears should regrow reduce it by 50% it should then send out loads of side shoots, next year reduce it again by 50%.
the new regrowth will fruit better that the old and also be a lot closer to the ground :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Oh gonna leave the pear tree!!!
I love the tree being there and I think it will kill it pruning it as I think it's lifespan is about up!!
The birds can have the few pears it produces.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I've got something kind of similar....
abajetub.jpg

It was in the garage when we moved in!!
I was thinking something a bit more subtle for getting between plants. I love my traditional old hoe I bought but sometimes I want something a bit more accurate!!!
( I'm actually saying I'm a bit crap with a hoe and sometimes cut the top off plants!)
The bill hook seems cheap?!?
Wonder how good it is?
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Got the Japanese hoe but got to say disappointed with the quality?!
I know it's only a grubbing tool but....
7use7abu.jpg

I would have thought that Sheffield steel allegedly made in the uk would be better??
Anyway it's by one of the more expensive manufactures of garden products who I won't name yet.....

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Disaster!!!
Well not ideal!!!
I used the gardeners world method for supporting my toms which is string from each plant to a ridge line... It snapped bugger!
amu2epus.jpg

I was going to make a hazel frame but decided to try their method.... wish I'd stuck with what I thought of.
Pretty naffed of as they were just coming ripe and its broke a lot of stems... can you get green toms off the vine to go red??
Never really tried that...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE