Allotment and stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Green Tom chutney it is then!!!
Any good recipes?
Just found a couple.... not sure about sultanas though? H doesn't like them!!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Got a good green tomato chutney receipe somewhere Dave. BTW do you need a jam kettle ? I've seen a very old one covered in dust in someone's old stable which I can try to acquire...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hey up Stu !!!
Err very kind but we acquired an alu one recently!!! I guess working in a charity shop has some advantages!!!
Gonna see what of the toms I can rescue tomorrow night then look at doing chutney....
any recipe would be good, a photo of it would suffice sir!!!
We really need to get a walk/ brew in soon mate!

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
I read somewhere that you can ripen tomatoes in a drawer if you put a banana in with them as well. I have never tried it though. I have ripened a few on the windowsill in the past but they don't taste the same as ripened on the vine.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bananas give of ethylene gas when ripening which does trigger a ripening effect in other fruit. But if tomatoes are truly "green" rather than "turning red", it wont be enough to sort them sadly.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for that have heard that!!
Gonna do some chutney and reinforce what's left .... Oh we'll you live and learn!!
On a plus point we picked a few apples today!!! Can eaters be used in chutney??!!
e8ape8uh.jpg

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yep it is!!! Alot learnt more to learn.... Ive liked some stuff not others.... baby sweetcorn didnt work.... want to grow more carrots onions green beans....less courgettes ( which I knew would be the case!!) Plant peas earlier more salad stuff..... more spuds maybe...the list goes on!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't go wrong with blackberry and apple crumble :)

Just imported some new heritage beans to try on ours Dave...both "bush" varieties - a cannellini (white Italian) bush variety for correctly sized home made baked beans and a Dutch brown bush bean which is good for drying. Always good to try some new varieties. Got them from an interesting Dutch site (all in English though and free shipping). Had some stuff I couldn't find elsewhere.

http://www.gardencentrekoeman.co.uk/seeds/vegetable-seeds1/index.html

Worth a try for odd stuff

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for that will have a look...gonna try a few different things next 'season'
Would like to grow sweet potatoes butternut squash baby sweet corns and French beans... I also want to do a mini wildflower garden and more cottage garden type flowers...
Not done a lot of capsicum this time so may look at that too

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
We tried sweet potatoes last year and never got a single tuber from them. We were told it was because of the lower temps up this way, but we aren't so sure as they were grown in large containers inside a poly tunnel where the temp was well over 30 degrees C during the day. We decided not to bother with them after that.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
We tried sweet potatoes last year and never got a single tuber from them. We were told it was because of the lower temps up this way, but we aren't so sure as they were grown in large containers inside a poly tunnel where the temp was well over 30 degrees C during the day. We decided not to bother with them after that.

I have read they can be a bugger.... we had baby sweetcorn in that never germinated but not sure I planted them ideally.... thanks for that will look into it more. d

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
i had no idea Wilko did fruit trees.
i'm just taking over a second plot while sharing the first with a friend.
the second will be mostly fruit bushes and a couple of trees to go with the pear already there.
i'll need to check Wilko out as that will be a lot cheaper than else where.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wilkos have some "Japanese" onion sets in at the moment. £2 for 50. Plant them now for an early summer onion crop. I tried over wintering onions for the first time this year - the results were superb!

Onions by British Red, on Flickr

Worth a go - they seem to do very well by getting their roots down early.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Probably a stupid question, but how does everybody who posts pictures of their onions have them virtually just sitting on top of the soil???? Mine are always at least half buried, whether grown from sets or seed. And I plant them according to the instructions. This year, I planted sets so that only half of the set was under soil, yet they still ended up burying themselves. I planned on cheating next year... grow them as usual, but a few weeks before pulling up, I planned to remove the top inch or so of soil over the entire bed so that they look like everybody elses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE