Allotment and stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
It was hard graft (and still is) due to the neglect over the years, we have had most of the day there today digging over and removing weeds, hopefully the weather and life generally will be a bit better than last year when little got done, but there is little better than being able to go up in the morning and "pick lunch" from the garden...:cool:

Ya not wrong there!!!! Just about to steam that spinach now...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok I've got some poly type blue water pipe scrounged and want to make a net over the brassicas. I've got sprouts in there which I guess will be the tallest plant.... so how high dya reckon?
Many thanks d

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Just thought I`d say, I`ve resown my carrots, a great long thick row came up, the slugs came along ate all the roots and I have one left. I think farmers grow them in raised soil bed mounds so the sloping soil sides provide loose soil that slugs and snails dislike sliming over.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok here's a few belated pics...
Sorry for the lack of updates..
su5enanu.jpg

Frame started for the blested cabbage whites!!!
uzajyhyj.jpg

A bit rough and ready but I needed something over the brassica quick smart.
petajy5u.jpg

First meal off the spuds. Very poor yield not sure i did owt wrong?!
Also some quite warty??
Tasted nice still Arran Pilats I think
qa3apaby.jpg

Green house looking good if a bit too full!!!
I must learn when to say no or pass on plants to others as most of the plants in here were given to me!!
Toms are Italian and a few cherry type plus courgettes are Trombetti (sp?) which is Italian for trombone. I've decided to grow them up which is what some Italians do.
uramamum.jpg

Carrots parsnips onions
qany4uqu.jpg

Peas and beans... peas flopped over a bit?Meant to be self supporting?!
ysydymed.jpg

Field brand courtesy of BR (ta !)
y4agudub.jpg

This is a bit of a mish mash....brassicas but I had no bed built for the strawberries and they needed to go somewhere quick.... I'm hoping they can be moved later in the season to a dedicated strawberry bed?
2yhu9ejy.jpg

Crocs + gardening =
zegeba3e.jpg

Gollam feet..
epyzepad.jpg

Got a free barrel but no way to connect to green house..... Hmmmnnnn
uru7y7ed.jpg

Soup for dinner+ a bit of thinking....
e7uqe7em.jpg

The lovely Mrs Tommy the Cat bending quality streets tin....
7erypu5e.jpg

Tap drilled into barrel
yve5udun.jpg

Voila
Atb Dave

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Good stuff with the rainwater collection, just need the rain water to come now. What about the other side though?

All looking good, not sure about the low crop yield on the spuds, we had 80lb from our first attempt from 15 - 20 seed spuds.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Good stuff with the rainwater collection, just need the rain water to come now. What about the other side though?

All looking good, not sure about the low crop yield on the spuds, we had 80lb from our first attempt from 15 - 20 seed spuds.

That's way more than these but they are first earlies!!
The other side er er to be honest I need to eat the other soup first....
;-)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right in the order that things occur to me

The "warty" stuff is potato scab

Probably the spuds dried out when they were developing - nothing to worry about and easy to solve.....

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=230

The peas probably got knocked over by the wind - shove a few pea sticks in around them next year (they look about ready to harvest btw)

Great job on the gutter and insect netting - get that net on as soon as you plant out the brassicas next year :)

Field beans should be harvestable at the bottom of the plants now (or very soon) - mind you mine might have been in for longer!

All looking great Dave!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks BR, I have found a few rotten spuds??
I've been pretty good on the watering front but they were under 10 " of snow for two weeks after planting!!
Peas I've been picking and eating.... some even made it to the saucepan.
Haven't got any beans on either of the varieties but as you say I was late 😒
Given thunder storms and rain here so well see of me guttering works.
Just been picking stuff with my nephew and he loved it, I got him to pick some basil and I said "what's that smell like"
He said " pesto".... I think he'll be a chef..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Were the rotten spuds the seed potatoes? Bet they were!

You have got beans mate - I can see them :) Small but there - see the black stuff between where the leaf joins the stem? That's a dead flower - its sitting on a (tiny) bean!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
BR it's too darn dark to go take a look now!!! I'll have a look tomorrow... I've never grown broad beans as the ex wasn't that keen ( the new Mrs Tommy the cat isn't either) but I reckon I can give some away and trade+ I seem to remember you saying something about drying them?!
D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Make home made barbecue baked beans with them Dave - its a revelation. Field beans are much smaller and sweeter than broad beans - less like blotting paper :)

I'll do a recipe if you like?

You can certainly dry them - the Trail of Tears are better for that though

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I seem to remember you saying baked beans and kidney beans??
I eat quite a lot of chilli??
Any recipes involving toms or how to store/ make pasta sauce I'm sure we'd all like to see..ta Hugh
d

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm tomatoes are tricky - right on the borderline of sufficient acid for water bath canning - I generally pressure can to be safe. There's a tutorial here on pressure canning - it works just as well for storing pasta sauce (or chilli)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79938

The Trail of Tears come out like little kidney beans - great in a chilli - but you can harvest them younger and use them like green beans too.

The field beans look like broad beans but make a great "baked bean"

Baked Field Beans by British Red, on Flickr

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Wahoo yep beans on the field beans BR...... I'm guessing like most things the older they get the tougher/ less palatable they get?
Still seem quite small at the mo so must resist scoffing some!!!
d

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Field beans are better than broad beans (they rarely get tough). They should be about half as long as a broad bean to harvest :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
yve5udun.jpg

Voila
Atb Dave

GENIUS!

My old connectors are about 30 years old and the plastic is delicate to say the least. Hadn't even thought of extending the metal, I was making do with a silicone caulking gun!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
GENIUS!

My old connectors are about 30 years old and the plastic is delicate to say the least. Hadn't even thought of extending the metal, I was making do with a silicone caulking gun!

Genius might be a bit strong there fella!!
Thrifty I'd say!!!
Sometimes we need to look at things a bit differently ( especially when money is a bit tight)
Atb d

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE