Allotment and stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yup, carrot flies don't go higher than 18" so any kind of barrier - even boards - will do to give them a headache when they run into it :). Carrot seeds need to be well firmed in to germinate well, I usually put a board on each row and walk on it.

Didn't know that about firming carrots.... good tip😃

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hi Elen, the rhubarbs getting there but it's been pretty neglected so will need some work once it's died back.
Strawberries I need to buy!!!
I grew some from seed two years ago Alpine ones... garzooks they took an age... I'll be buying plants this time.
Things slowly growing here now .
d

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you don't thin carrots, (and don't sew them too thickly in the first place) but leave them until they're about finger thickness, just eat the ones you pull up :D
Quick scrub with a brush under a tap, shake off and nuke in the micro for a couple of minutes. Wee bit butter, we bit of ginger and they're delicious. Stretches out the season too.

It's not carrot fly that's a bother here, but the blasted slugs eat anything and everything. The blackies and the frogs get loads of them but the ground really suits the blighters.

M

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for that Toddy.... I did thin as said before but was careful. I have sown very thinly so will try your method.
I've still the brassica bed to do + we love baby sweet corns so gonna try them.
The fleece over the peas has really warmed up the soil notably to the touch I am amazed how well it works!!
It was only a thin rubbish £1 jobbie from the warehouse I use...
Oh and I still haven't put the runners in from BR... It's been so windy here and now wet, I'm gonna put them in on the next window I get.
d

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
What a thoroughly enjoyable thread this has been. How's it been coming on Tommy?

I must say I'm very jealous. You seem to have a lovely little oasis going there.

Andy

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Everything Mac thanks mate 😄
But if you think this thread / allotments good you should look at British Reds thread.... NOW that's inspirational!!!
BR gonna have a look at your thread now..
Well a quick update...
Finally got the greenhouse in!!!
I'm not going to mention the moving it the first time and then having to move part of the front footing as there were clearance problems with the door!!!!!
ysavazu7.jpg
Toms chillis and Italian courgette in now..
7e2e9yqy.jpg

First earlies not very early!!!
Excuse the red carpet it's gonna have bark over it when I can get upto my tree surgeon friends.
py5agepy.jpg

Oops blurry sorry parsnips,carrots under fleece and spinach oh and I think a bit of beet root.
2ujy4u6a.jpg

Beans and peas. The runners just moving a bit now but been pretty slow.

Final bed a bit rubbish....Ahherm got the strawberries in but really I want them in there own bed... sprouts at back and a bit of rocket at front. I've got some 10p cabbage plugs to go in there. I've really got to pull my finger out and get some netting over this bed before the moths appear..!
sudumu9y.jpg

The rest I'm just mowing and strimming but want somewhere to sit by a firepit and eventually somewhere maybe for a pole lathe? Not sure how the landlord would feel about a tarp shelter on the plot???
ugupybeg.jpg

Anyway sorry it's a quick one but that's about it. The green house was a pain but all in I reckon about £50 with a donation to charity, clips, mortar for the free blocks and the 8 pieces of glass that was broke... not too bad I feel.
Other additions
myte7a9u.jpg

This bad boy had to be put back together !!! Freebie just need a diaphragm for the carb and its good for rough mowing...
namazyta.jpg

This brush cutter cost me £80 but again needs a diaphragm when I can work out what carb it is to order the part!!!
tuhyty8a.jpg

This tree is now full of apples... tiny but will have a good old yield!!
Atb d

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking good Dave - get them parsnips in earlier next year if you can - mine are 18" tall now :) Your field beans are looking good (or broad beans - whichever they are) - I'd have the net off them now - they are well past the pigeon risk!

Bargain on the Stihl - saved yourself a couple of hundred there I think :)

Keep at it mate

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Field beans.... Yep parsnips late doh! I seem to remember reading not to keep parsnip seed?? I hope it's wrong I've got loads left from you.
I did think about losing the net but guess I was being overly paranoid!!!!
The stihl is a great tool, with all the nettles and thistles its proving its worth!!
D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Parsnip seed is good for two years max Dave - you can sow some next year but that's it. However, if you leave a couple in the ground, let them flower and collect the seed (I did a thread on it somewhere), you can have your own seed after that!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
May sow more next year then and then let a few go to seed... What sort of quantity does a plant yield? I'll never need masses as I lack the room.
Ta d

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
More weeds than plants stu!!
As I've said many times ... it's a learning curve so probably many mistakes.
I'm still getting my head around when,where and how but I've found many people are generous with their advice.
Been wondering what this for a while which came up not on the veggie patch.... just looked at the black currant Toddy sent me and unless I'm mistaken bingo!!!!
I could do with moving it at some point if that's possible?
Atb d
bunahape.jpg

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
First thing I've picked here!!!
Spinach getting on the big side... I've had my reservations about spinach as I know it's hard to eat it before it bolts.
But I was given the seeds so it went in.
Gonna have a pull on a spud later to see what we've got for tea!
jurary8e.jpg

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
It's so good when you go from a rough old unloved site to something resembling a garden...

I have been working my little piece of England for a little over three years now, the first twelve months were really hard trying to clear between 25 and 100 years of neglect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78073526@N04/6990671639/in/photostream/

The pictures are a bit jumbled up I suspect, but it shows it from early days to when we got our first crop in.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You'll get a few thousand seeds from one parsnip Dave - save two in case one fails and stake them well - that's all you need to do.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Wings too looks like a good job done there!
BR thanks for that... I've not planted enough parsnips but will sow more and earlier next year, with the extra seed I had from you d

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Wingstoo looks like a good job done there!

It was hard graft (and still is) due to the neglect over the years, we have had most of the day there today digging over and removing weeds, hopefully the weather and life generally will be a bit better than last year when little got done, but there is little better than being able to go up in the morning and "pick lunch" from the garden...:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE