'allo, from Canada's NWT....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
Well, I've been on here for a little while, but haven't actually said hello...

I'm a cop in the Northwest Territories - a little community on Great Bear Lake called Deline (formerly known as Ft Franklin). The local First Nations people here have been living off the land for centuries, and since the community is less than a century old, there are still a lot of folks who actually grew up living on the land in tents, hunting, trapping and fishing for sustenance.

We are a fly-in only location, except for about 7-8 weeks when the winter road is open. The next community is 125 kms, and is smaller than ours. From there it's another 460 kms to Ft Simpson, where the all-weather road starts. It's also where O'Hare knives are made!!

Anyway, I'm an outdoorsy type who hoards knives and other outdoor, bushcrafty stuff. Not from the UK, but I've been twice. And I'm a fan of that Mears feller... Kinda reminds me of a young Mors Kochanski, 'cept on TV.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Welcome to the site mate, it's a great place. Sounds like an amazing place you stay in. Maybe hope to get there myself someday if the current UK crunch sorts itself out.

All the best and have fun, Davie, 'Scottishwolf' ;)

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
Thanks folks...

Here's a pic taken not far from my house... Just a bit of the local fauna... (which by now is probably mittens)

wolf.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Welcome to BCUK, Jimmy. What a beautiful animal...and a good picture too. I hope he has not become mittens...:yikes:
You're a lucky devil. Most of us on here dream of places like this, including the wolves, and probably never will see one. So if you have more pictures and stories I, for one, will be glad to see and hear them.:)

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
There are a lot of wolves here, in this area. With the number of trappers that actually earn a living with their furs, many don't last when they mosey into town. And, if they are not taken, they usually kill some dogs so it's really not a bad thing. At least not ant worse than trapping anything else... On top of that, they often become a nuisance on the runway, and have to be shot so planes can safely land. I don't know how many there are, but there's certainly no shortage around here.
I'll have a look and see what other pics I have kicking around. I do have some good bear pics I'll put up as well....

Last fall there was a big black one (wolf, not bear)in town when I was on vacation. My buddy next door was watching my akita and had him and his sheppard out in the yard tied up. The big ol' wolf thought he'd found a quick meal. Dummy. Sheppards and akitas are not the standard local fare, like the normal 60 pound mutts found here. Fortunately, the wolf made it out of the yard - no serious injuries I don't think, but with a few tufts of his fur missing and a couple small holes. Kyle watched from his doorstep, hoping the dogs would be ok... Thankfully he chose to watch, rather than shoot him.
Sorry, that'll have to do for stories about wolves. I'm neither good at telling them, nor lucky enough to have many. ANd even though they are plentiful, they are still pretty camera shy, mostly.
Bears, on the other hand....
Regards

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome aboard Jimmy the Jet,
Just keep those photos and stories flowing and there will be people salivating on this side of the pond.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Welcome, it is always good to see another Canadian joining the ranks. Come summer I will be up your way, at least in the same territory but a little farther north. Perhaps we will meet up one day.

Grey Owl

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Hello Grey Owl,

Was just poking around your web site, but many of the images and the links are broken? Can't wait to read some of the trip reports on it.

Munog

Thanks for the interest in the site. The main website that hosted the expedition site has since changed and the techies are trying to figure a way to relink everything, give access and not jeapordize the new version of the website. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will be up and running again.

Until then, we wait.....patiently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE