allegedly "The only knot you'll need to know"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
[FONT=&amp]I am a keen knot tier myself. The bowline tied between 2:59-3:10 is tied wrong for it to be a true bowline, look closely and you will see the end exiting on the ''outside'' of the loop, a proper bowline should have the end exiting on the ''inside'' of the loop. When it is tied with end exiting on the outside it is called a Cowboy Bowline or Dutch Marine Bowline and is reputed to be a weaker knot. If the end had been pushed through the loop in the opposite direction instead it would have formed a true bowline. The same applies to the last knot shown too, the twin bowline, note the ends also exit on the outside of the loops, if the ends had been threaded in the opposite direction instead it would form a true bowline with the two ends exiting on the inside.

example below (same applies to the other bowline tied in vid)

thread in oppostie direction to vid
0b97045d-382a-495f-8eb5-c9c0243a2314.jpg

and when pulled tight note the ends correctly exit on the ''inside'' of loop
[/FONT]
94257d6c-c498-4be7-bdd7-44735a3b1634.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I am usually very suspicious of videos titled such as that, and I was ready to tear it to pieces.

But that was actually pretty good, well presented and clear enough to follow.

Nice one Kev

Ogri the trog

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Exiting on the outside is commonly done when tying for rock climbing, as it makes the knot easier to untie.

not by any climber or instructor that i know, sorry but you are wrong :nono: it ''unties'' exactly the same wether exiting inside or outside, there is no difference in that respect, the right way to tie a bowline is with the end ''exiting on the inside of the loop'', and if used for climbing the end should always be backed up (most commonly with a fishermans back up knot). In climbing it is very important to tie the bowline right as it can collapse with disastrous consequences if it is not, for that reason the tie-in knot for harness recommened by instructors is the re-threaded figure of eight as there is less chance of that knot being tied wrong.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
the tie-in knot for harness recommened by instructors is the re-threaded figure of eight as there is less chance of that knot being tied wrong.

No, that isn't the reason why the figure of 8 is preferred.

The figure of 8 is superior for harnesses for two reasons:
It loses less strength (rope goes around larger radius curves)
It can be untied after prolonged loading.

However it suffers from 'creep' and should always be checked and preferably the free end have a stopper knot.

The bowline is good for equipment loops and suchlike, since it doesn't shake loose or creep under load.

Tying a bowline with the free end on the inside is a must-do for sailing, where loose ropes could catch the free end and capsize the knot. Being able to forceably capsize the knot is sometimes useful when climbing.

Must-learn knots, in my opinion:

Bowline
Round turn and two half-hitches
Reef
Trucker's Hitch

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
the tie-in knot for harness recommened by instructors is the re-threaded figure of eight as there is less chance of that knot being tied wrong.

No, that isn't the reason why the figure of 8 is preferred.

The figure of 8 is superior for harnesses for two reasons:
It loses less strength (rope goes around larger radius curves)
It can be untied after prolonged loading.

Yes it is.

the figure of eight is stronger than the bowline, however that is not the reason it's preferred, the bowline is plenty strong enough there are other important factors.

have you ever untied a re-threaded figure of eight after a climber takes a long fall on dynamic rope, it tightens up considerably, a bowline is actually easier to untie than a figure of eight after taking a climber fall, however though easier to untie the bowline is considered less safe (more chance of knot capsizing, being tied wrong by the inexperienced), therefore safety being paramount the figure of eight is used. The forces and effects placed on a dynamic rope when a climber falls are different to when you just pull or hoist something as the load is sudden and immediate. I have had to untie a number of climbers after they have taken a long fall and the re-threaded figure of eight tied to harness tightens up considerably. -- the bowline is okay tied correctly and I am happy to use it myslef and often do, but i have been tying it since i was five years old and am experienced, the recommendation by instructors for using the re-threaded figure of eight is aimed at safety for the less experienced.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE