Aldi grinder heads up!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
John is well known on both BB and UKB for this model he does ''50 x 686 belts from 60g-600g & can do mixed grit orders of ten belts for £13 carriage paid''

You can also do a mod on this sander by moving the belt to vertical and adding a decent table
Aldi002.jpg

Apologies to those who are fed up of seeing this pic :lmao:

Chris :)

Fed-up.... it's a first for me and I'm quite interested in this mod. Is there a link to a handy tutorial by any chance?

(I just picked mine up from the Aldi in Trowbridge, Wilts.)

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Got mine to. Seems to be a good un, just finished setting it all up, the sanding belt does not seem to want to run true on the rollers, but after half an hour of fiddling it seems to be ok although its still slightly of centre of the runners but not touching the caseing at all.
Now then has anyone worked out how to keep a blade in the wright position (ie a jig of some description) so as to grind a new edge on a blade so its the same angle on both sides. Dont trust myself to do it free hand.
My knife is desperate for a new flat grind.

I gave up with trying to sort out a jig and just did it free hand with fairly good results. You will want to put a piece of material the width exactly of the belt to raise the platten so that you can get the plunge lines. I first tried a piece of foamex but the belt wore it away and made it rather bumpy, so I now have a piece of 2mm aluminium duct taped on :D

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I gave up with trying to sort out a jig and just did it free hand with fairly good results. You will want to put a piece of material the width exactly of the belt to raise the platten so that you can get the plunge lines. I first tried a piece of foamex but the belt wore it away and made it rather bumpy, so I now have a piece of 2mm aluminium duct taped on :D

Any chance of some pics and a tutorial with this? :D

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Can do, its not that impressive though :p

I'll go do it now.

EDIT

Ok, here we go.

It was just a rectangle cut from 2mm sheet aluminium, then filed down to the exact width of the belt (50mm) and filed a little bevel at either end so that the belt goes onto it easier. Then, because it was the closest thing to me at the time, I took a couple of bits of duct tape and stuck them round in a loop to make a bodged double sided tape and used that to stick it on to the existing platten on the machine.

You could do something a lot more elegent, but thats just what I did. Oh and the existing platten can be adjusted where its screwed on the left hand side, I put it back as far as it can go to make up a little for the extra stuck on.

Does this help?

Cheers :D

Apologise for the picture quality, was just done on a phone.

Attachments

• Image0061.jpg
    Image0061.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Image0060.jpg
    Image0060.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Image0063.jpg
    Image0063.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Well if anyone is interested. I got two spare.

Cos' they where going like hot cakes I thought I would get a couple extra and offer them here for anyone that wanted one but either couldn't get to an Aldi or they had sold out.

Just cost price + what ever postage is (I'm in Frome, Somerset if you want to collect) and I'll photocopy the receipt so you will have the 3yr cover offered with it.

If there no interest I'll have to put them on evilBay before my wife finds out I got 3 :lmao:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Now that's good to see Alec... a workshop/garage as untidy mine is :D

Did you mount the grinder on a block of wood and then clamp it into the vice to save screwing it down?

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Ok, one down one to go.

Any takers?

Hi Freddy.

If you are left with the last one just take it back to ALDI in its packaging and with the receipt and they will give you a full refund, they are normally pretty good with returns, anyway good luck with the last one. goodjob

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Hi Freddy.

If you are left with the last one just take it back to ALDI in its packaging and with the receipt and they will give you a full refund, they are normally pretty good with returns, anyway good luck with the last one. goodjob

Leave it a few weeks and you'll get more than your money back on ebay mind... I bid one that sold in the end for over £30 and then landed up getting mine after making a £25 offer on a £35 buy it now list price.

Now that's good to see Alec... a workshop/garage as untidy mine is

Did you mount the grinder on a block of wood and then clamp it into the vice to save screwing it down?
:D Yeah I had the wood set up for a previous bench grinder and so just screwed in one corner through an existing hole and then as I couldn't be bothered to faff around drilling new holes, just clamped two other corners to the wood. As you can see, screwing direct to the bench just wouldn't work, because... well what bench. :p

:D

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Well if anyone is interested. I got two spare.

Cos' they where going like hot cakes I thought I would get a couple extra and offer them here for anyone that wanted one but either couldn't get to an Aldi or they had sold out.

Just cost price + what ever postage is (I'm in Frome, Somerset if you want to collect) and I'll photocopy the receipt so you will have the 3yr cover offered with it.

If there no interest I'll have to put them on evilBay before my wife finds out I got 3 :lmao:

Both accounted for now.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got mine bought from Canterbury Aldi. Thing is I'm in France. I'll collect it when I'm in the UK next time we visit. Thanks for the heads up about this and your endorsement of it. Normally I'd look at such things and that "too good to be true" price tag and think, that's exactly what it is ... too good to be true.

Looking forward to having a play with it once I get it home. "Toooools" (said as Homer Simpson says Do-nuts.)

Question: Does this come with a set of spare belts in the box? I intend ordering some spare belts anyway as I can see this getting some serious use in my workshop.

Anyway, thanks again for the heads up about this, very much appreciated.

To Freddyfish. You're a typical example of why I like this forum so much, so many good people here willing to help each other out without a hint of mercenary attitude. goodjob

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
:eek: Thanks Biker..

It comes with one fitted belt and two spare.

As for to good to be true.. I look at stuff like this from Aildi and the like. As 'I know it's the bottom end of the market, but so cheap and 3yrs cover.. got to be worth a punt to have a play'

Freddy

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:eek: Thanks Biker..

It comes with one fitted belt and two spare.

As for to good to be true.. I look at stuff like this from Aildi and the like. As 'I know it's the bottom end of the market, but so cheap and 3yrs cover.. got to be worth a punt to have a play'

Freddy

Too true. I bought a rubberised canvas motorcycle cover for €14 (about £11) thought it'd do the job till I could get a decent one. I bought my brother one as well. He's still using his outside 4 years later and he doesn't treat anything gently. Mine's covering my bike in the workshop to stop it getting smothered in sawdust. Still as good as new. Just wish I'd bought the tank bag they had on sale with it too. Ho hum.

Thanks for the info about the belts, I also received a PM offering to sell me 10 at a very decent price inc P&P. So I'm a happy bunny now :)

You're most welcome about the compliment. Couldn't not say something positive about that sort of behavior. It's a rare enough thing and should be applauded when it's deserved. :D

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I spottted this yesterday, it is exactly the same item in a different shade of blue. I have just saved myself £27 :) They do spare belts - £7.04 for 5.

One question - if I am sharpening a blade on the belt, should the sharp edge face up (ie against the direction of belt travel) or would this risk cutting into the belt?

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Thanks Poddle. I thought that was the answer. I would rather sound like a newbie here than look a twit in my garage!

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE