Aldi grinder heads up!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awsome i need to drive 20 miles but it will be well worth it......

now i will be able to get a proper grind finish on my blades....lol.....

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I have one very similar at home. It's not bad but I need some more belts now and preferably other grits. Any ideas where I can get them anyone?

And why do I want one of these:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_13225.htm

I don't have a use for it yet but definately have a 'Want One Of Those' feelings ;)

Cheers,
Steve

I fell the same about that lifter thing haha :lmao:

For belts talk to this guy he does them at good prices!

http://www.ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=115

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
I fell the same about that lifter thing haha :lmao:

For belts talk to this guy he does them at good prices!

http://www.ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=115

Is that john? I can't tell cos im not a member there, but thats who I got mine off of for the same grinder on British Blades.

So far i've used mine to flatten out a bevel done by hand, and then grind down the last 0.5mm after HT. Will soon get used for its first complete grind though and so I shall be cracking out the 60grit belts! The 80 grit belts it comes with managed to sort out my argos axe alright aswell, although the grinding wheel got in the way a bit because of the length of handle on the axe...

Oh and on mine, the tool rest on the grinding wheel was alright, but the one on the belt was absolute [insert word of choice].

If anyone wants any more info on it then I can be happy to assist!

Alec

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I have one very similar at home. It's not bad but I need some more belts now and preferably other grits. Any ideas where I can get them anyone?

And why do I want one of these:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_13225.htm

I don't have a use for it yet but definately have a 'Want One Of Those' feelings ;)

Cheers,
Steve
I've got one real similar by nutools. Use it for all my knife making. Have a problem withthe tensioner though as quite often it won't start without turning it off and turning the belt a little back by hand. Any problems with these?
Does the BB guy do coarse belts or just the 80's that I get off EBay?
Sorry Alecf, didn't see your post until I posted this. Any info on the above?

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
You will find john on BB does many different grades of belt in any size and he's a good bloke to deal with.OAP(old abrasive person!:D)

Feb 19, 2010
west Mids
I've got one real similar by nutools. Use it for all my knife making. Have a problem withthe tensioner though as quite often it won't start without turning it off and turning the belt a little back by hand. Any problems with these?
Does the BB guy do coarse belts or just the 80's that I get off EBay?
Sorry Alecf, didn't see your post until I posted this. Any info on the above?

John is well known on both BB and UKB for this model he does ''50 x 686 belts from 60g-600g & can do mixed grit orders of ten belts for £13 carriage paid''

You can also do a mod on this sander by moving the belt to vertical and adding a decent table
Aldi002.jpg

Apologies to those who are fed up of seeing this pic :lmao:

Chris :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Got mine this morning... pretty good for £20 all things considered. There's a few bits of fit and finish which are, understandably, not up to the level of a more expensive one but 10 minutes with a vice and a 'screwdriver from Solihull' sorted it.

I've just put a chisel grind onto an old stainless steak knife I converted into a spoon knife recently and I can shave with it more easily than my opinel.

Very pleased - thanks for the heads up.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Got mine. Amazingly the little wifey didn't bat an eyelid or say a word apart from 'what's that? Maybe she's given up on me :D

There was 4 left at the Dunstable Aldi

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Got mine to. Seems to be a good un, just finished setting it all up, the sanding belt does not seem to want to run true on the rollers, but after half an hour of fiddling it seems to be ok although its still slightly of centre of the runners but not touching the caseing at all.
Now then has anyone worked out how to keep a blade in the wright position (ie a jig of some description) so as to grind a new edge on a blade so its the same angle on both sides. Dont trust myself to do it free hand.
My knife is desperate for a new flat grind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE