Air rifles at the Moot? Are they OK to bring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Last year I took delivery of a lovely BSA .22 AirSporter air rifle from Dave Bromley and delivered to me at the Moot by SpikeydaPikey. I had a plink at some cans while at the moot and wondered if anyone else plans on bringing their own airgun? If so, I just thought we could organise a target shoot. But before I pack my rifle in the car I wondered if there is any restriction of bringing them by the site owners or by Tony and the BCUK mods?

Yes, the usual safety issues will be strictly enforced. Shooting only at targets with a bank of earth behind, no minors left unsupervised, John Fenna not given any Smarties as they make him hyper. etc. (Minimum price of entry to shoot is a jam doughnut, or some other suitable confection to Biker :lmao:)

So if the answer's yes to bringing the rifles to the Moot, then here's an invite open to one and all to some lighthearted target shooting with anyone with an airgun. You'll find me at Dingily Dell camped with John Fenna (Sporkman) and Mesquite (the one man catering corps)

If we organise this right we could even set up a prize for the person who wins. Up for it?

Looking forward to this Moot soooooo much.

Biker (overdue a severe beating by my fellow camp mates)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I've just picked up a .22 theoban Fenman carbine ,gas ram awesome riffle 3x9x50 mil dot scope, illuminated cross hares shame I'm not coming to the moot I love hft would of been fun.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I call Fay nights. :nana:

(confused? Google it)

No need - I learned that one at my Prep School!
And not with that corrupt spelling either!
"Fainites" (or "Fainsies") not something that puts you in mind of some ethereal evening!
Dammit it originates from a French request for mercy! - or don't they still use that one?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It may not be up to Tony as he doesn't own the site, there may also be issues with insurance and also anxious parents worrying about a stray pellet pinging a child.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Biker (overdue a severe beating by my fellow camp mates)

Extremely over due...
smileys-beating-and-fighting-016940.gif

I call Fay nights. :nana:

(confused? Google it)

Denied... :deal:

No need - I learned that one at my Prep School!
And not with that corrupt spelling either!
"Fainites" (or "Fainsies") not something that puts you in mind of some ethereal evening!
Dammit it originates from a French request for mercy! - or don't they still use that one?

Trust a guy who has made his home in France to get it wrong :rolleyes:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm fairly sure this came up in the Mods area some months ago.
As I recall. the consensus was no to air rifles.
I've flagged it up the chain though.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Can I bring my 7 shot .357 revolver then?! Joking!

As far as air rifles are concerned, I would suggest they are only ever used under strict range control on the archery range. This would be perfectly safe, they generally do less damage than an arrow! The use of bows is strictly controlled. It is all the knives and sharp tools that are dangerous! Oh and Tony with his super sonic mint imperials, watch out ye giants!

They should only be unbagged on the range under the command of a designated range officer, nowhere else on site. This could be made clear to all. Just like knives or bows, they don't need banning, just using within certain safe parameters - time and a place, age limit, training, supervision etc.

Personally I think teaching both adults and children a deep respect for, and the proper handling of, firearms (bow, rifle etc.) is exactly what bushcraft should be about. I would say that though, I officially train people how to shoot safely and I compete for GB. Even the Scouts teach air-rifle. It is dangerous not to teach children and adults the fundamentals of marksmanship! I'm sure that those that run the archery range can run air-rifle perfectly safely but I am certainly willing to help out as I am a NRA qualified Range Officer and a stickler for complete safety on range.

I'd be willing to do a teaching session on the safe use of firearms (bows, 12g, rifle, etc.) when out in the field and on the range. You can never have too much H&S, hmm, well maybe you can. I can cover the marksmanship principles.

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Locked in a car or secured with some kind of security device to prevent unauthorized use or removal such as a trigger lock, hard case, padlock and chain is sufficient.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE