Air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I own a Weirauch HW90 and it fits between the spring load & pre charged rifles because it uses the Theoben system. This system uses a pressurized cylinder instead of a spring and is much more constant and durable. It is also possible to modify the pressure in the cylinder in order to boost it (caution not to over pressurize!)

The caliber is .22 and I think that smaller calibers miss the 'punch' for rabbit sized creatures; next to penetration and speed comes mass and in that sense .22 is preferrable.

It's a heavy rifle, fitted with a scope you should be prepared for some hauling.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I have a BSA Lighteing XL Tactical and a Webley Vulcan Carbine both .22. Both excellent guns, they have all the power i need at the moment, as i'me not moving up to big game hunting until i win a decent amount on thr lotto.
The BSA has a loverley smooth action, I have a cheap Richter 4 X 40 scope, Laser sight and nite lite fitted. Shot against a Yellow pages at 30 yards penetration is a good 150 mm.
The Webley Vulcan i bought off Pignut in pristine condition, silencer and Simmons scope. Another excellent shooter, cant fault it...........in fact i think it's almost my preffered gun at the moment.
Shot som PCP's at the Tabley game fair a few weeks ago.......yes they are fantastic, and very accurate, but some how i miss the recoil and thwack of the spring...........sad.

Mark

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yeah but how many shots do you do practising on the range? How many shots do you put through a gun to 'break it in'?

I just got an air bottle and the damn hose isn't right for my filling adaptor. Yet again more money to turf out for the right hose.

I just think that its better to get a springer and pay a bit extra for an MTC scope, rather than paying that extra for a pump/bottle for a PCP and having to cut back on the quality of the scope.

Now theres the .22 or .177 debate to come :p

Nah

I have shot both when hunting, no problem with either. The .22 is heavier and tends to arc more in it's flightpath. This is something to consider when judging hold over/under. .177 is flatter and faster but just as capable of humanely dispatching quarry as long as we get back to the point of practise practise practise:AR15firin

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Nah

I have shot both when hunting, no problem with either. The .22 is heavier and tends to arc more in it's flightpath. This is something to consider when judging hold over/under. .177 is flatter and faster but just as capable of humanely dispatching quarry as long as we get back to the point of practise practise practise:AR15firin

With the power of non FAC airguns going lower and lower, isn't it headshots with all calibres anyway? Even .22.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
As far as im aware non fac is and has been for quite some time 12ft lb even with rimfire I go for a head shot

Alot of airguns except most Weihrauchs are way under 12ftlbs. My 400 clocks in at 10.5ftlbs. None of them are exactly on 12 and some newer airguns are even as low at 8.5.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Alot of airguns except most Weihrauchs are way under 12ftlbs. My 400 clocks in at 10.5ftlbs. None of them are exactly on 12 and some newer airguns are even as low at 8.5.

As i understand it a lot of new air rifles are under 12ftlbs due to the different effects of different pellets. Some can dramatically change the chrono reading and manufacturers don't want to get done if the police or suchlike check the rifle with a certain type of pellet and find it is over the legal limit.
I used to have an S200. When i first got it, it was pulling about 9ftlbs. I only ever shot air arms field pellets and so tuned it up to the legal 12ft with that type of pellet.

I forget the brand but someone else's pellets through the same rifle pulled nearly 15ftlbs!!!

I worked on the principle that if it ever got checked i could say that i just used one type of pellet (i bought in bulk direct from air arms) and so was entitled to tweak my rifle up to the legal limit.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I worked on the principle that if it ever got checked i could say that i just used one type of pellet (i bought in bulk direct from air arms) and so was entitled to tweak my rifle up to the legal limit.

Be carefull!
Like you say the type of pellet does affect the power. The problem is that the legality of your rifle would be down to what the police decide use to test its power with - you have absolutely no control over what type of pellet(s) used in the test(s) and the fact that you only ever use one type of pellet holds no sway when it comes to that part of the law.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Be carefull!
Like you say the type of pellet does affect the power. The problem is that the legality of your rifle would be down to what the police decide use to test its power with - you have absolutely no control over what type of pellet(s) used in the test(s) and the fact that you only ever use one type of pellet holds no sway when it comes to that part of the law.

Thats why i no longer shoot anything except pictures. It became such a hassle and legal minefield it took all the fun out of it for me. I now use my stalking skills to take photo's not shots

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Sorry sharp I do apologize I thought you meant that the power was being reduced by THEM but I have noticed that some newer rifles are down on power around the 10.07ftlb not sure why

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Iv got an Air Arms S400 in .22. Can't go wrong with it. Iv had mine for 9 months now and its awesome. Light and Accurate. The only downside is all these pre-charged pigs need a pump or air bottle. Irritates the hell outa me.

The S410 TDR, looks very interesting.

Are there still gun ranges out there for pratice?

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Up to last year I owned a Weirauch HW80, then I chopped it in for a Logun S16. I have achieved much better accuracy with the Logun (1 hole groups at 35yds). However I feel that I benefited from starting my shooting career with a springer.

When you buy a gun talk to the gunsmith about which pellets are best suited to it, for instance my Logun likes Crosman Accupels.

The airgun press is full of which is the best calibre debates at the moment. To my mind it is what ever floats your boat. Each have their benefits, it seems that .177 has a flatter trajectory and is therefore more forgiving when you are judging range. .22 is a larger, heavier pellet and carries more kinetic energy though the muzzle velocity is less and the trajectory is arced. I bought both my Logun and Weirauch second hand and they came in .22. This suits me as I have big hands and .177 pellets are a bit of a fiddle. I guess what I am saying is you pays your money and makes your choice.

I am lucky as I have several hundred acres of shooting available to me. This was one of the major motivations for the upgrade to PCP. I liked the simplicity of bolt action rather than break barrel when we go lamping etc.

Other points made on this thread ring true - loads of practice, we tend to have a chat and do some targets, spinners and knock downs to hone our skills. In an evening I shoot around 200 - 250 pellets. When we are hunting the maximum is around 4 pellets a night. When we are zeroing the sights one of us shoots while the other watches the target through a spotting scope of binoculars. This allows the spotter to instruct the shooter what adjustments to make to the windage and elevation. This makes us more accurate and the zeroing process much quicker.

As a starter gun you could do a lot worse than a BSA Lightening, my mate has one and he uses it for controlling the squirrels in his back garden (they wreck the place so he has embarked on a one man vendetta on them). He uses RWS Super H point pellets (hollow point) to great effect.

Finally look at second hand gear, I bought a second hand dive bottle with a couple of years test on it for a reasonable price.

Good luck and be safe.

Stewey.:D

Anyway on with work now.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
People say that .177 is just as powerful as .22. It dosn't matter anyway, because you always go for headshots with anything.

If your thinking about FT or HFT, I'd go for .177. Im with an HFT club, but I don't compete in the local matches, I just practise my standers and kneelers and do some target shooting when the need arises for a change. If you are thinking about perhaps competing in HFT then .177 would be the thing to go for. Due to the reducers on some of there targets, you can barely squeeze a .22 in the hold itself by hand!

However, I don't have to adjust my aim to allow for trajectory that bad with my .22. Its very slight above 12 yards for me.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
As i understand it a lot of new air rifles are under 12ftlbs due to the different effects of different pellets. Some can dramatically change the chrono reading and manufacturers don't want to get done if the police or suchlike check the rifle with a certain type of pellet and find it is over the legal limit.
I used to have an S200. When i first got it, it was pulling about 9ftlbs. I only ever shot air arms field pellets and so tuned it up to the legal 12ft with that type of pellet.

I forget the brand but someone else's pellets through the same rifle pulled nearly 15ftlbs!!!

As I understand it, generally the heavier the pellet the more efficient any given airgun will be.

If you do an HFT comp they may chrono your airgun using the pellets you intend to use, which to me seems totally fair - it shows what power you'll have at your disposal during the comp. However, if the police test your airgun they may choose to use a heavy pellet like a Bisley Magnum or Barracuda Match, to see the maximum power it is capable of.

If you're worried about this, get your gunshop or HFT club to chrono your airgun using a heavy pellet. Then you'll know.

HTH

Rat

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
The primary reason people use .177 instead of .22 is because it is more forgiving of range estimation errors. Typically a .22 pellet fired at a 35 yard target will land 1.5 inches lower than if fired at a target 30 yards away assuming the cross hairs are lined up properly. It is surprisingly difficult to judge the difference between 30yds and 35 yds every time and getting it wrong means a wounded rabbit not a kill. A .177 pellet arriving at the right spot has stacks of energy to do the business but the difference in Point of Intersection (POI) is only 0.3 of an inch across the same 30-35 yard target range difference. If you really want to see the difference graphically download the shareware at www.chairgun.com and try different calibre pellets.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
you could go with a .20 as I have done. its a great all round calibre IMHO

got the kinetic not far off a .22 and almost the trajectory and speed of a .177

Sheridan do one, it is pump up rifle. you get 2 decent power shots off and a 3rd at slightly less power (3rd being more then enough for rats) for about 10 pumps. and they are cheap to

mine is about 20 years old with no scope mount built on but the new ones have a scope mount point.

review here http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews889.html

I'm looking into getting an air rifle and need some advice. I want something that I will be able to use to hunt (birds,rabbits etc). I want it to be sturdy, and not too expensive. I really don't have a clue so any advice would be apreciated.
Heath

i would recommend a BSA Super sport or lightning of the version you like and fits you well the XL tactical is my fav but you might not like black plastic :D it is good as a field gun as you can dishwasher the stock :lmao: it also happens to fit me ergonomically which is important

if you like a larger and heavier gun then a HW or TX200 would suit again you will find a few versions of them in barrel lenght and stock style

Dont bother reading below if you dont want to be bored :D :D above is plenty

calibre is simple 0.177" is what i reccomend if you havent shot much air rifle before as it is more forgiving on trajectory than 0.22" so reducing a very important variable
you only need to range find to 3-5yrds not 1-3 yrds by eye out to your max range
the energy bigger knock down argument is a load of rubbish Yes 0.22 14 grn will carry/retain more energy at 50yrs than a 8.4gr 0.177" but the differnce is minimal and teh same 0.177" pellet still carrys enough residual energy to cleanly kill a rabbit at 100yrs (way more then you are going to accuratly use the gun)

The main argument on calibre was true many years ago in that 177 takes more energy to get the same power Ie 12ft lbs and years ago they couldnt achieve this so used the 22 action wit ha 177 barrel thus the automatic reduction in 177 at muzzel from the 22

these days the 177 is set to the same level as the 22 (ie inthe BSA a weighted washer system)

this is also why you shouldnt fit a 177 gas ram conversion to a .22 spring gun as you will put it over the 12ft lb limit

While Heavy pellets do increase the Muzzle energy in Precharged (more effeicent) lighter pellets increase Spring guns

on Pre charge unfortunatly the manufacures are being very carful and settng guns well below the 12ft lb limit with very heavy pellets ( Developed for FAC airguns who can sensibly use them but are avalible to buy by any body :rolleyes: ) so 10ft lbs seems the norm with normal power pellets ie 14-16 gr in 22 and 8-9gr in 177

when i was shooting th FT circiut you would have to crono your gun during the course 820ft lbs was teh limit for my pellet i would run set to 810 fps but thats a competition Anshutz wit ha very accurate regulator system and graded pellets ( a couple of tenths of a grain lighter pellet may go over the 820 fps but actually be legal if you calculated its exact power :rolleyes: . unregulated guns with un graded non match ammo can have a fair range of muzzel velocitiys

BTW i sold the £1200 Anshutz and bought one of the first 177 S200s £210:D which was just as accurate and tight grouping but not over so many shots . you normally got 40 shots per fill but for the max accuracy i refilled every 20 to a lower than recommended pressure the anshutz would do 80 shots full to empty.

Right better stop now or we could go on for ages

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE