Air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Excellent guns.underlever fixed barrel.they come with nylon bearings for smoother consistent shots.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Unsupported? Less than 20% - that's smaller than the kill zone on a field target falling steel - and very few national level shots achieve a perfect field target score ;)

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I remember when I first got the gun, I stuck a match in the soil and shot the head off of it from about 30 yards away. I laughed out loud when I saw the head of the match disappear through the scope, it was a complete fluke. I didn't dare adjust the scope after that though!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I put 10% originally, but changed it :) Less probably with a springer. 50 yards is long way for a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle.. but if you zero'd at that,with a fairly high mag scope... on a still day.... i reckon its doable. Not unsupported though, i bet very few could even hit it from a standing position.

Unsupported? Less than 20% - that's smaller than the kill zone on a field target falling steel - and very few national level shots achieve a perfect field target score ;)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
No, very definitely rested with not too much breeze, and of course top quality pellets.

Check out verminhunterstv on you tube, Si Pittaway has some excellent videos on there that certainly inspired me to try long range targets - not live quarry of course, for that I stay to 35 yards or preferably less. When hunting I always try to get as close as I can, then 10 yards closer.

Dave

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Set up targets every 10 yards out to 100. start close then get progressively further away, and re zero your scope for each one until you get to the further ones. See what groups you can get. Thats the best way to find the best pellets.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I quite agree Mark, it's amazing how some pellets will group fantastically well at, say 25 yards, but really start to open up out past 35, when others will keep nice and tight a long way out. Still, it's all part of the charm of airguns.

Happy Christmas one and all.

Dave

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
6" hold over at 50 yards for a .22 using 16gr AA field, difficult to do consistently into a two pence sized kill zone ;)

I've made countless irresponsible long shots in my time but for consistency, stood and from the shoulder (and when I'm shooting every day and therefore in the way of it) I was hitting a spinner made from the broad butt of an old silver spoon, so smaller than a two pence, 19/20 @ 25 yards (although I'd only ever shoot 5 rounds off at a time so one miss every 4 days or so, but not by much :cool:), with spring piston guns, take it out to 35y and that average drops to around 10/20, 50y 5/20 unrested, so with me behind the trigger, unrested, 50 yards is much too far.

I think, whilst longer shots are well doable, 25 yards is about the maximum range for me with a .22 springer unrested, to have any usable consistency, even then for shooting fluffy stuff optimal is around 15 to 25 yards; which are typical rabbiting ranges for most with a springer, 25 yards is therefore a long springer shot IMVHO, of course. Interestingly I have similar results with my .177 springers.

Resting a spring gun is different, provided it's not rested on anything solid.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Never had a problem with power on mine but it is pellet fussy.

Can't remember which pellets took it over the limit. I'd not had it long, so would of been early 2000, & had it chrono'd at Walkers of Trowell, as i'd been shooting some rats with it & it was going through them length ways, with i think Bisley SD'S, so i'd picked up some wadcutters, possibly H&N'S.
But when it went on the chrono it was 12.3 with some pellets they had there, & the bisleys were 11.5, the h&n were 11.8. This is all back in the mists of time now, but i think i'm correct in what i'm saying.

Rob

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I used to have one of those metal target things when i was young, think it was a spinner. Seemed a great idea but i was always worried about ricochets, so never used it much. I then progressed onto throwing glass bottles into a small flooded quarry (deep so no worry about anything getting cut etc, though id still dislike someone doing that now, hate broken glass lying about.).
That turned out to be very bad for ricochets, think it was the fact the glass could move about so it sometimes wouldnt smash, and the pellet would glance off it. Had a few near misses with that :)

First gun was an air arms similar, but ended up with a HW 97k. Bloody heavy lump

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
Nice rifle the TX200 had one in the past now I've got a few different ones now.

Pellet choice is dictated by the barrel of the rifle its what ever suits it giving you the tightest group at the longest range your comfy shooting at .

Have fun with it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE